Sparring gear for special needs kids

PagelandMartialArts

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently had a student sign up, who in fact has had surgery on their legs and is using Martial Arts to aid in the rehab of his joints. I need recommendations for sparring shoes that will have arch supports in them or can be modified with arch supports so aid in his point sparring competition that will be approved for competition. Any suggestions?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrestling shoes of some sort?

I was going to say wrestling shoes covered by dipped foam sparring boots.

The best thing you could do is ask the people running the competition what the student is allowed and not allowed to wear.

OP
P

PagelandMartialArts

White Belt
Reaction score
I was going to say wrestling shoes covered by dipped foam sparring boots.

The best thing you could do is ask the people running the competition what the student is allowed and not allowed to wear.

It varys from comp to comp. I was trying to find a good universal shoe the child could wear.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe look into Taekwondo shoes or kung fu shoes, and have your student put some orthopedic inserts in them.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I recently had a student sign up, who in fact has had surgery on their legs and is using Martial Arts to aid in the rehab of his joints. I need recommendations for sparring shoes that will have arch supports in them or can be modified with arch supports so aid in his point sparring competition that will be approved for competition. Any suggestions?
I am sorry but I do not understand how MA can rehab after leg surgery? Walking, riding a bicycle, treadmill, and other similar forms would likely be better. Certainly after they are rehabed, MA can help them but I don't understand the thinking that MA is a rehab...other than mental rehab in my case. lol

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am sorry but I do not understand how MA can rehab after leg surgery? Walking, riding a bicycle, treadmill, and other similar forms would likely be better. Certainly after they are rehabed, MA can help them but I don't understand the thinking that MA is a rehab...other than mental rehab in my case. lol

I was thinking the same thing. Obviously we don't know what kind of injury it was but I can think of a number of different forms of exercise that would benefit them more than Martial Arts.