Sparring Equipment

OP
M

Mormegil

I'm not so hot about the gloves in that set.

Most people I know like to use standard boxing gloves.

I personally like the "Kempo" gloves you see Sijo Bruce Lee using in the opening fight in Enter the Dragon (with a young Sammo Hung, I believe). I find they fascilitate trapping more, if you're into that kind of thing.

Oh, don't forget a cup. I got kneed in the groin last week, before I put mine on. Big mistake.

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
It may be too late but please check us out:
www.kampfgear.com
We are martial artist who got into this because we got tired of paying high prices for training equipment. We use what we have listed.

OP
S

sweeper

most people I know like ringside or everlast gear, I would talk to your instructor first though, alot of instructors will want you to have a glove at a given weight for proper protection, most point sparring eq is rather light and doesn't slow your hand down much. You probably won't need the foot guard things, you may want some sort of shinguard, with like a baseball catchers guards or a foam guard like a thaiboxing shin/instep guard. Cup is deffinatly important. If you are going with the basics I would get a pair of 16 oz boxing gloves, a cup and a mouthguard..

Actualy I would suggest going to a MA store and trying the gear on. Diffrent brands fitt diffrent and you don't want to get stuck with a brand that doesn't fit your right. And in addition the weight distribution on a glove can make it feal heavy or light. For example the kempo gloves Mormegil braught up feal lighter on your hand because alot of the padding is moved back twards the wrist.

Latest Discussions