Sparring Compilation

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not. My instructor doesn't allow leg catches. He was sparring one day against another black belt who caught his leg and knocked him off balance. He fell really awkwardly and hurt his shoulder pretty bad, so he doesn't allow grabs because he doesn't want anyone or himself to get injured due to it.
To bad. Leg catches can be done with minimum risk of falling so long as the safety of the opponent is taken into consideration. The leg catch alone isn't dangerous for the kicker. It's what happens after the leg is caught that makes things dangerous. At the most basic functions a leg catch forces a person to stand on one leg.

Does your school do any exercises that help improve balance while standing on one leg.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
To bad. Leg catches can be done with minimum risk of falling so long as the safety of the opponent is taken into consideration. The leg catch alone isn't dangerous for the kicker. It's what happens after the leg is caught that makes things dangerous. At the most basic functions a leg catch forces a person to stand on one leg.

I guess, he doesnt' trust that his students will be able to do this safely.

Does your school do any exercises that help improve balance while standing on one leg.

We do but seldom. We have a bending stance in a couple of our forms, which is on one leg. Our instructor teaches this as a one or two leg stance, so if you have bad balance you can do two legs. Then we do a drill where you throw continues turning kicks bouncing on one leg up and down the room.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess, he doesnt' trust that his students will be able to do this safely.

We do but seldom. We have a bending stance in a couple of our forms, which is on one leg. Our instructor teaches this as a one or two leg stance, so if you have bad balance you can do two legs. Then we do a drill where you throw continues turning kicks bouncing on one leg up and down the room.

All I means is you can lead with the leg safely and so changes the proportion of success of kicks vs punches a bit.

It makes entering with punches a bit harder because you have to move though his screen of kicks you can't really counter much.

Focusing on punches is still not wasted effort but you are going to get wailed on a bit in that sort of sparring.
Some ideas to play with.

Don't be inactive inside range. So if you could reach out and hit the guy and you are not hitting the guy. You need to leave that zone of combat.

Try at first to move away at an angle each time after an exchange. It is a bit easier than trying to enter at an angle and will help you get your head around it.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions