Sparring and My Difficulty Against Kicks

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The moves that you tweet to suit you is what I would call personalizations. I don't try to classify anything that looks like a personalized movement. Some techniques must be done a certain way or the technique will fail or be less effective. There Is very little that one can do to personalize a jab and still have the jab to be effective. A good example of this would be a back sweep. There is a limited number of way for back leg sweep to work and be effective. Which is why it looks the same across other systems that use it.
Should be tweak and not tweet.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's an expression look it up.

I know that. But expressions should be applied appropriately. My point was that I didn't think the expression several of the members here have used was applied correctly to the situation. If you or they disagree so be it. We are just in disagreement.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Should be tweak and not tweet.

No matter, it doesn't make any more sense either way. ;) Just kidding, sorry, I couldn't resist.

Now I understand what you are saying and just feel silly I couldn't figure it out on my own. Thanks for clarifying for dummies like me.

And I can now agree with your statement. But personalizations, where allowed, can be useful. In the TKD I studied, there was only one way to do things and we all had to learn that way. In the Hapkido I studied, we were taught what was accepted as the best way to do a technique, but allowed to make minor changes to let us made the technique workable for us if need be.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would rather train with accurate distance but with reduced power (when the target is another person instead of a pad) instead of full power but extended distance. In an adrenaline situation, I trust myself to dial up the power more than I trust myself to adjust distance.

Totally agree that sparring with both proper distance and full power can lead to an injury rate that just doesn't work for a lot of people beyond 30 years of age. I don't mind contact, I don't mind bruises, but actual injuries mean no training, and that's bad. Anecdote time: at a tournament this weekend, a young strong guy went harder than I interpret "light contact" to be with his kicks, and dislocated my shoulder when I blocked a kick aimed for my head. I'm now out of practice for at least a week or two until it heals.
At least you managed to get injured doing martial arts. My current shoulder injury is from walking down the ramp from my deck. Don't ask - most of my injuries come from doing the least dangerous stuff in life.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter, it doesn't make any more sense either way. ;) Just kidding, sorry, I couldn't resist.

Now I understand what you are saying and just feel silly I couldn't figure it out on my own. Thanks for clarifying for dummies like me.

And I can now agree with your statement. But personalizations, where allowed, can be useful. In the TKD I studied, there was only one way to do things and we all had to learn that way. In the Hapkido I studied, we were taught what was accepted as the best way to do a technique, but allowed to make minor changes to let us made the technique workable for us if need be.
For beginners, a "one right way" approach can be easier to assimilate. Once competency starts to develop, technique should be assessed on effectiveness and expression of the principles.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At least you managed to get injured doing martial arts. My current shoulder injury is from walking down the ramp from my deck. Don't ask - most of my injuries come from doing the least dangerous stuff in life.
Decks are very dangerous, can't tell the number of times I've skidded on a wet decking , or worse on a squashed Snail, lethal

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decks are very dangerous, can't tell the number of times I've skidded on a wet decking , or worse on a squashed Snail, lethal
Had this one only been wet (as the stated temperature of 36F should have indicated), I'd have been fine. Apparently, it was colder than 36F on this ramp at the time. Oddly, I didn't even realize I'd injured my shoulder until days later. Not sure how I missed that fact.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

I pulled my thumb and it hurt for days.

The cause? Pulling up my daughter's sock while shoe shopping... :rolleyes:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Had this one only been wet (as the stated temperature of 36F should have indicated), I'd have been fine. Apparently, it was colder than 36F on this ramp at the time. Oddly, I didn't even realize I'd injured my shoulder until days later. Not sure how I missed that fact.
Yea decks with their own micro climate are the worse

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
How things change. During the brief time I studied TKD, we were taught to always move with maximum power. It was sort of a mantra with Mr. Rhee to the effect; "Always move with maximum power, always seek a new maximum." We were also taught to be able to strike where we intended.

On a sad note, GM Joon Rhee passed away this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
On a sad note, GM Joon Rhee passed away this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just heard this on the news a few minutes. Sad. I studied with him for around a year starting in late 1964 or early 1965. He was an incredibly good and patient teacher and astounding martial artist. At that time he had a school in Texas we were told he had left in the care of a student. The school where he taught at that time was on the third floor of a building at Connecticut and S Street in Washington, DC. No air conditioning, but we did have a combined locker room and shower. I don't recall now if we also had facilities for women, but it did not matter since we didn't have any women students.

He had two signature kicks. One was a side kick to the face, with a slight pulling twice and a kick again. He was so fast and powerful that his gi would slap his calf 3 times with a loud snap. He would then stop and hold that stance a moment before recovering. The other was a flat-footed jump kick straight up and kicking a ball suspended from the ceiling. The ball was about 8 feet high. You cannot imagine how great it felt on that night that I finally was able to just barley kick and touch the ball after a run and jump. He had another move he didn't demonstrate often. He would jump with both legs, pushing off mostly with his back leg, but using both. He would land smoothly and jump again. He could jump like that for several jumps until he had to stop for the wall. I don't know if I have described that so it sounds as good as it looked.

I only saw him once after that when I was able to see him open a new school in northern Virginia. That was after he had begun teaching forms to music. It was good to see him even if he didn't remember me (why would he after some 20 years). But he was gracious as always.

I will miss him.