Sparring Accidents

drunken mistress

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My karate-mad son (7) likes to put both his legs behind his head as a show-off warm-up exercise. Eventually, he pulled a muscle, not doing that but walking down the road!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by drunken mistress
My karate-mad son (7) likes to put both his legs behind his head as a show-off warm-up exercise. Eventually, he pulled a muscle, not doing that but walking down the road!
During the cold war that was a drill for preparation for nuclear attack... Put your head between your legs.... and kiss your butt good bye.

Pulling the leg muscle walking down the street is indeed ironic, he just wasn't warmed up yet. Make him start stretching before he leaves the house;)

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's mine...........

(1) One of my first times sparring, I got backed into an open three-ring metal binder that was on the floor.......stepped on one of the rings with my instep- was done sparring for quite awhile.

(2) We had this guy in our class that was the type that never tapped out cuz he could take the pain, etc. He also would torque you just a little further once you'd tapped out just to be mean or prove a point or......I don't know what his deal was- he was a jerk. Anyway, while sparring him one time, the velcro came undone in my foot gear so, I put my hand up (which usually meant to stop), backed off from him and bent down to fix it. While I was fixing it.........the guy came up and did a front kick to my head!! I have it all on tape by the way!!

(3) Same guy.........while in class one night, we were sparring and he caught me under the chin with the toenail of his big toe which opened a nice gash. A little bit later, I caught him along side the head with a spinning crescent kick and made his nose bleed.........normally, if it were anyone else, I would have been very sorry, etc......but, I felt sorta good about that one.......considering who he was and what he was like. The instructor had us switch partners at that point though cuz this guy was mad at me and he knew he'd probably try then to hurt me. He had a tendency to get outta control when he got hit by someone else.

(4) While sparring tag team at a tournament one time- I (a purple belt at the time) and two friends......brown and blue belts......got paired against 3 black belts. The opponent I went against hit me with a front kick right between the eyes and knocked me out. We later went on to beat them and place first in the tournament!!

(5) While sparring in another tournament, I went to kick my opponent with a wheel kick to the side of the head.......picked my distance so as not to actually hit her, etc......as the kick went in, she moved forward and I ended up making contact with her nose. Her nose started to bleed so I was DQ'd. I have this one on tape too and have watched it many times in slow-mo to see what went wrong with my judgement of distance, etc.

(6) My favorite..........was sparring a beginner one time who tried to do a spinning rear kick on me.......I moved out of the way and he kicked his foot thru the plaster/sheet rock wall and left a nice hole!! We all had a good laugh about that one!

:asian: :karate:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shodan
Here's mine...........

(1) One of my first times sparring,
:asian: :karate:

My first karate tournament in "73 or '74. I was a Kajukenbo student, purple belt and "thought" I knew how to spar.

All I remember is getting sidekicked and sliding on my butt out of the ring.

:asian:

OP
T

ThirdDegreeBurn

My strengths in MA has always been my speed and flexibility. Board breaks were never my thing, I can do them if I put my mind to it, but I avoid them as often as possible.

The point is, in speed there's always someone faster. While I was a yellow belt, I figured I'd go against my Sensei's wishes and sign up in a full contact tournament. (He didn't want me to fight for another year, although now I *only* fight in half-contact or full contact). I wanted to see how fast a guy is, and a lot of the time, when I'm unsure about my opponent's speed, I fight with my right leg as my leading leg, because it's faster and stronger, which makes it easier for me to do leading kicks. (My left leg has way too many old injuries that I'm still training to get around.) I wanted to see how fast a Brown belt was, feinted with my right leg and jabbed with my right hand, but not close enough to make contact. Turned out he was a lot faster than I am, swept my right leg away and punched my right hand. A small bone popped out. I said "screw this" and took the first available cab to the hospital.

OP
C

Chozen One

Two instances that stick out to me are:

(1) When I was a White Belt Master, I went to snap kick a fellow student and he hammer struck my toes (which felt like it was as hard as he could) which fractured and hyper extended a couple toes. After a brief moment of disbelief I continued to spare him. Shizer it took almost a year before I could snap kick with that foot again and im still kind of hesitant.

(2) As a Brown belt sparring a Black belt, we both went to do round house kicks and simultaneously slammed each other’s shins that was also rather painful.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
most of mine are my shins i always always always get hit in the shins somehow and it hurts like a _____ no matter how good or thinck of pads i got on ...i hope i never have 99% of this stuff happen to me that iv just read it all sounds rather painful :-/

OP
G

gyaku-zuki queen

ive had a few sparring accidents myself, and all the groin shots ive seen just doesnt really compare to this one fight i saw. at the '04 jr pan-am karate champs, canadian guy vs some south american guy . i'm jus watching the fight, and all of a sudden i see the south american guy fall back on his back grabbing his face seizing. (you could tell he was in pain)
my first reaction was: oh **** if xavier (canadian guy) hit him that hard he'd be disqualifed.(and xavier was a sure spot for a medal) but then i realized that i didnt even see xavier attack the guy. then i see the other guys toe.
his big toe, literally, ripped off. it was only hanging by skin, and the white bone was sticking straight out. he got it caught somehow on the mat when he was going it, and it just came off. :S

pretty much all of the people who were watching were tramatized it was so sick. a few of the mexican girls were screaming / crying.

the guy was carried off in a strecher. (i talked to their coach though, he'll be fine and back in the ring in a few months :) )

OP
R

Ronald R. Harbers

I was practicing drawing my sword and deblooding, once, when I went to Noto I missed the saya and drove my training sword right into the forefinger and second finger. If it had been a live blade I would have lost both fingers. Being a practice sword, I only peeled the skin back about 1/2 of an inch. Great lesson learned.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This didnt actually occur durring sparring... but Its a good story none-the-less...

At my first Bujinkan School, One of the other students was getting ready to come to class, and he had an unsheathed katana, and he fell down the stairs of his apartment with it and drove the blade all the way thru his leg.

Consequently he was out of training for several months, and we all got a good lesson on what the Saya was for...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ronald R. Harbers said:
I was practicing drawing my sword and deblooding, once, when I went to Noto I missed the saya and drove my training sword right into the forefinger and second finger. If it had been a live blade I would have lost both fingers. Being a practice sword, I only peeled the skin back about 1/2 of an inch. Great lesson learned.
I was doing that once, with one of those cheapo United Cutlery Katana's, and my hand was too low, and I sliced the webbing between my thumb and trigger finger on my left hand...

OP
J

JKD_Silat

I stabbed myself in the face with a training blade once, during a knife disarm drill. I had the knife in front of my face, and a new student smacked my hand into my face ala Three Stooges. Everyone got a good laugh. Thank goodness, I had safety goggles on...

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just got a good one yesterday in free-rolling. I splawled and posted on his head, as I started to pivot around him, he caught one of my feet unexpectedly. So I brought the other one around to compensate and landed with all the toes under the foot hearing a loud CRICK. This morning the urgent care physicians and nurses were betting on broken or not broken before the x-rays came back. It ended up being not broken, but I'm out for at least a week or two with a foot that has turned a nice purpleish-red from mid foot to second toe knuckles of all the toes. Not pretty, unless you like those colors.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I had witnessed a guy actually get hit so hard that he defecated. Seriously that has to be the worse sparring accident. And I am being serious. Good thing he was wearing a white top-with black pants. He was so dazed, I was the first to "notice" it (fortunately for him, but not for me). I told him to go home. He had skipped many sessions thereafter. I guess he was trying to let time difuse and erase the scenario.

asangria

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We had three matches going on at the same time. Each pair had its own designated area. I slipped on a wet spot with foot gear and stepped into the next area by accident. One of the people sparring there got disoriented and landed a overhand right that landed square on my ear. I was a little stunned and stumbled a little back into my area to walk into a heel kick right under my right eye. So not only did I have an ear problem for the next few weeks I had to sport a shiner. Made an interesting story at happy hour. :erg:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Euwww...doesn't sound pretty at all--actually like a ballet on the toes thing.
Hope it heals fast. Take B vitamins, antioxidants. Such is the price we pay so that we can play. TW

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now I'm taking aspirin at pretty high doses for the swelling, and doing the usual elevation, ice, compression thing. I hope it works, because I'll go nuts sitting at home and not being able to hit the gym or the dojo.

asangria

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Makes you wonder if it is worth getting busted up for...:)
I wondered about it myself until I realize it sure beats playing golf. (no offense to golfers).

Latest Discussions