Source for Long Pole in US

Discussion in 'Wing Chun' started by wingerjim, Mar 15, 2017.

1. CB Jones

CB Jones Blue Belt

Tapered or not

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Eric_H

Eric_H Brown Belt

3. DanT

DanT Green Belt

I'm telling you man go to Home Depot and get one 7-8 feet. It's not tapered and it's not fancy wood but it does the job. If you want something heavier get a pipe instead. This is significantly cheaper. No sense paying $300 for a big stick.

4. geezer

geezer Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    If you are talking about a piece of typical pine or fir closet doweling, don't plan on using for anything other than the form and conditioning. In DTE class (Direct Torres Escrima) I saw coach Martin hit a pole like that with a short snap with a good hardwood pole and about a foot of the end of the Home Depot pine pole sheared off and flew across the room like a bullet to embed itself in the drywall opposite.

Yep, if you do any contact drills get a good hardwood pole. Heck, once you get proficient, You might even break a pine pole just doing the form! You might be able to find some decent oak molding at home Depot though. That would hold up better.

5. Danny T

Danny T Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    I have several we use for the form and for some of the exercises as a building block. The closet dowels are lighter than the real poles and do ok with some light tapping but break up when the going gets a bit rougher.