Soul fighters academy

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It works regardless the punch, it is fast, give you 'infinite' options to follow up and usually favours the trained guy
It works withing limitations. Every defense has an open and there is never a "one size fits all defense" for punches other than keeping out of range. I know for a fact that covering up like that won't work will with me. It has nothing to do with what I train and everything to do with what I fight. When I see someone covered like then I automatically know that you open below that guard. Legs, knees, gut, kidney, liver, throat, thighs, all of these I can strike with a punch. I have no desire to punch through a "shelled" guard when there are so man other places that or open as a result of the guard. In terms of the danger that it puts a person in. If I was in that position I would be less worried about a punch and more about a kick.

Out on the street you'll probably be fine with that approach when dealing with most people. But I'm pretty sure it would have limited results against another fighter or even someone who trains as if they were going to be a fighter or sorts. When boxers "shell up" they end up getting body blows, When Muay Thai fighters "shell up" they end up getting knees. From what I've seen from street fights in you tube. The people involved are lacking in any real strategy beyond swing hard for the head.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of that and I'm not a fan of turning my back to my opponent when I'm fighting multiple attackers.

Wait what?

Ok i haven't seen the video. But that sounds a bit ambitious.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shelling up ironically makes you prettying defenceless against a double leg.

Which is strange that grappling arts go for it.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

We keep digressing... Let's go.

And THIS is the weakness. I was never 'kneed' effectively when 'jumping in' - knees meet elbows, quite no way for dangerous punches... But grappling would be my real weakness, even if I enter with a lower stance than the showed here. I really couldn't wait for the takedown, in order to survive...

Curiously, grappling would be a great follow-up for the shell up + (low) jumping in, if I knew a bit more...

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Every defense has an open and there is never a "one size fits all defense" for punches other than keeping out of range. I know for a fact that covering up like that won't work will with me.
Against big guys, out of range is close distance. Then if he knows grappling... next problem to solve.

It wouldn't work for you because you are the big guy. :D Keeping distance would your 'no brain' solution, instead of closing distance as for shorter guys. Ok, possibilities are infinite, but these are the rules of thumb.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

So does getting knocked out. If you don't survive the initial onslaught, whatever your abilities are afterwards don't matter much. Double leg is common in a mma fight, not as common in a street fight.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It works withing limitations. Every defense has an open and there is never a "one size fits all defense" for punches other than keeping out of range. I know for a fact that covering up like that won't work will with me. It has nothing to do with what I train and everything to do with what I fight. When I see someone covered like then I automatically know that you open below that guard. Legs, knees, gut, kidney, liver, throat, thighs, all of these I can strike with a punch. I have no desire to punch through a "shelled" guard when there are so man other places that or open as a result of the guard. In terms of the danger that it puts a person in. If I was in that position I would be less worried about a punch and more about a kick.

Out on the street you'll probably be fine with that approach when dealing with most people. But I'm pretty sure it would have limited results against another fighter or even someone who trains as if they were going to be a fighter or sorts. When boxers "shell up" they end up getting body blows, When Muay Thai fighters "shell up" they end up getting knees. From what I've seen from street fights in you tube. The people involved are lacking in any real strategy beyond swing hard for the head.
Your last sentence covers most of what you will encounter. Violence in action as opposed to a methodical attack and breakdown of your defense. Most people can take a body shot and continue, many people can't proceed after getting their brains rattled. What I don't like up the way that they shell up is they still need to recognise which side the punch is coming from, as they alternate left and right hand positions accordingly. As I was taught the shell(referred to as a "default" position), it doesn't matter what kind of punch, or from which hand the punch is coming from, the default position is non-diagnostic.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For the OP, I watched some of their videos and they seem to be very self-defense focus which is good for anyone looking to defend themselves. There is only be so much that you'll be able to learn online and offline and that's where sparring comes into play. From what I could tell in the videos, when they spar they try to work the techniques that they are learning which is what needs to happen regardless of what fighting system a person uses. They also sound very realistic in their approach. But like everything else in the world. It won't work like you want it to work and you won't be good at it unless it's practiced in free sparring.

Small guy shells up against tall guy using the technique being taught by the group. You can clearly see that the small guy is trying to use the technique. When he shell's up the big guy attacks low. The big guy throws a couple of punches at the guard and still lands a few even with big gloves on. My guess is that he threw punches at the guard so that his partner could work on using the TRITAC guard.

TRITAC GUARD

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So does getting knocked out. If you don't survive the initial onslaught, whatever your abilities are afterwards don't matter much. Double leg is common in a mma fight, not as common in a street fight.

So it is a lowest standard thing.

OP
M

Master of none

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all your in put. I'm not an MMA guy just want to learn a realistic self defense. I use to wrestle and learned wing chun. Want open up my world to other martial arts so just wanted some expert advice. Thank you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or a highest percentage thing. You know , the odds of being attacked with a haymaker as an opening gambit as opposed to being attacked with a high fake, low shoot to double leg combo.
Very true.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or a highest percentage thing. You know , the odds of being attacked with a haymaker as an opening gambit as opposed to being attacked with a high fake, low shoot to double leg combo.

No. What are those odds?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the probability thing. But why assume the attacker(s) is just the average stupid? I've seen it on other threads, too.

Personally, I find training more motivating if having in mind an opponent like a McGregor, but size XL and that knows wrestling and BJJ... :D
(percentage thing + high standard thing?)

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like the probability thing. But why assume the attacker(s) is just the average stupid? I've seen it on other threads, too.

Personally, I find training more motivating if having in mind an opponent like a McGregor, but size XL and that knows wrestling and BJJ... :D
(percentage thing + high standard thing?)
If you are training for self defense purposes, and the most common opening attack is a haymaker punch, it would seem reasonable to train an effective counter to a haymaker punch. You may not be right every time, but the odds are in your favour.
No. What are those odds?
Perhaps things are different where you are. I'm just a spry little old 55 year old who has seen his share of bar fights and street brawls. When I combine that with the observations of my law enforcement friends(the guys who write up reports on what happened in fights), the wild swinging knock your head off punch is the opening gambit of choice. More hockey players than rugby or football players around here, so tackles are not that common.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps things are different where you are. I'm just a spry little old 55 year old who has seen his share of bar fights and street brawls. When I combine that with the observations of my law enforcement friends(the guys who write up reports on what happened in fights), the wild swinging knock your head off punch is the opening gambit of choice. More hockey players than rugby or football players around here, so tackles are not that common.

It would be nice to know what shot is coming beforehand. I am not sure how many eggs I would put in that basket.

It would be a bit embarrassing to be the one forcing the grapple and then get put on my back.

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
FYI - I am the one who manages Soul Fighters Academy / TRITAC Academy.

Yes - we do offer instructor certification and Academy licensing. Soul Fighters is one of the biggest and growing BJJ teams / training in the world. We have many people requesting to join the team. In order to do that, they have to be certified and licensed. The same thing goes for TRITAC (our combatives system).

BUT - that does NOT, repeat NOT mean we offer online certification. We don't give a f*ck if we only have one certified instructor. What is important is the integrity of our of training and evolution.

We DO offer online training / video courses. Why? Because people asked for it! It allows us who have worked all of our lives on training martial arts to share our passion as well as help support what we do.

Regardless of how you feel about the applications of our technique - I just wanted to make it clear that we were NOT NOT NOT offering online certification. We ARE accepting applications for instructors. But that doesn't mean that you are accepted into the program, and if you are, you must go through a 3-6 month evaluation program which includes coming to our TRITAC HQ in Connecticut. Only martial artists with a strong background are accepted into our program, and even if they complete the eval program, that does NOT mean that they achieve or are certified. Again, our integrity is most important.

Oss.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Disagree

I think even with the untrained fighting you see a natural tendency to double leg or just go for a good old football tackle.

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think even with the untrained fighting you see a natural tendency to double leg or just go for a good old football tackle.

Agreed :)

But - just because you see us using our "Frame" Defense, does not mean that's the only thing we do. In our fundamentals courses (taught at my school and online), the initial frame defense is taught as an "oh sh*t" defense. It is not the answer to everything. During the fundamentals courses, they are also taught how to sprawl, a variety of takedowns (including double-leg), how to escape grounded positions (side control, mount, etc), how to strike (punch, hammers, elbows, knees, etc).

What I do like about the framing concept is from a grapplers perspective, it does allow us to enter into close-combat range, where we can clinch, control, takedown, dirty box, shield, etc. That's the range that we "function" in.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed :)

But - just because you see us using our "Frame" Defense, does not mean that's the only thing we do. In our fundamentals courses (taught at my school and online), the initial frame defense is taught as an "oh sh*t" defense. It is not the answer to everything. During the fundamentals courses, they are also taught how to sprawl, a variety of takedowns (including double-leg), how to escape grounded positions (side control, mount, etc), how to strike (punch, hammers, elbows, knees, etc).

What I do like about the framing concept is from a grapplers perspective, it does allow us to enter into close-combat range, where we can clinch, control, takedown, dirty box, shield, etc. That's the range that we "function" in.

Personally,I just don’t care for that specific technique but with that said I’m not familiar with your system and I am not trying to put down your system.

Latest Discussions