Soul fighters academy

OP
M

Master of none

White Belt
Reaction score
Because I was doing some research and it's one of those school were you can be a certified instructor with online training.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Can't say I'm a fan of the 'shell up' approach to defence but I appreciate that with smaller gloves, covering up is more difficult - which is probably at least partially why mma folks rely on good footwork as much (or more) for defence than what the hands are doing.

The promo is also trying to be a bit "hoorah" which I also find a little annoying but it could be because I'm up early on a Saturday, still aching all over from yesterday and about to go to training!

They look fairly competent at what they're doing though and acknowledge that it's a system they have created. Doesn't look like a McDojo to me, although I may be using a different definition than what others are

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because I was doing some research and it's one of those school were you can be a certified instructor with online training.

I am not a fan of online training.

However, their website does not seem to say that they offer instructor credentials without actual training. I have no idea what they are, but they do not look like a McDojo to me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can't say I'm a fan of the 'shell up' approach
I'm not a fan of that and I'm not a fan of turning my back to my opponent when I'm fighting multiple attackers.. Footwork always matters. I don't like the "shell up" approach because I don't always strike the head and the people who spar and train with don't always go for the head either. It's probably a decent tactic for someone who is only focus on hitting your head. With all the MMA fan boys and the many people who are taking BJJ I wouldn't be to quick to commit my arms to making a helmet. I may need to to do other things like, block kicks to my stomach, prevent a shoot, or to help block any of the numerous lower and mid body shots that a person can lay out. Busted ribs, kidney, and liver shots can be equally and even more painful than getting hit in the head. A person can take one of those and risk being dropped and then kicked in the face.

The "shell up" approach will probably work well for someone who is in a tight space with limited room for movement.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of that and I'm not a fan of turning my back to my opponent when I'm fighting multiple attackers..

I'm not a fan of fighting multiple attackers, full stop! I used to do it with friends as a kind-of sparring game (2 v 1) but if the larger group are in anyway coordinated then you're in big trouble, if you're on the other side. The only tactic that seemed to work okay for me was target one guy, hit, evade...somehow get around them and run away - all whilst trying not to take too much damage from the other person.

Footwork always matters.

It does, but to a different degree depending on the ruleset you're operating under. In Muay Thai without the risk of people shooting for you and/or finishing you on the ground, then too much circling and moving about is going to get you in trouble; because the other guy will be cutting the angle and hammering you with kicks.

I don't like the "shell up" approach because I don't always strike the head and the people who spar and train with don't always go for the head either. It's probably a decent tactic for someone who is only focus on hitting your head. With all the MMA fan boys and the many people who are taking BJJ I wouldn't be to quick to commit my arms to making a helmet. I may need to to do other things like, block kicks to my stomach, prevent a shoot, or to help block any of the numerous lower and mid body shots that a person can lay out. Busted ribs, kidney, and liver shots can be equally and even more painful than getting hit in the head. A person can take one of those and risk being dropped and then kicked in the face.

The "shell up" approach will probably work well for someone who is in a tight space with limited room for movement.

With smaller gloves you are going to have to make a helmet at times when coming under fire whilst in range - I've tried using the Thai style open guard a couple of times when I used to go to an mma class and you're just too open to block that way. MMA guys will be slipping and moving all the time anyway so they don't really stay static and shell up like shown in the Soul Fighters video anyway.

That was a pretty long winded way of saying I agree with you, in principle :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of fighting multiple attackers, full stop! I used to do it with friends as a kind-of sparring game (2 v 1) but if the larger group are in anyway coordinated then you're in big trouble, if you're on the other side. The only tactic that seemed to work okay for me was target one guy, hit, evade...somehow get around them and run away - all whilst trying not to take too much damage from the other person.

It does, but to a different degree depending on the ruleset you're operating under. In Muay Thai without the risk of people shooting for you and/or finishing you on the ground, then too much circling and moving about is going to get you in trouble; because the other guy will be cutting the angle and hammering you with kicks.

With smaller gloves you are going to have to make a helmet at times when coming under fire whilst in range - I've tried using the Thai style open guard a couple of times when I used to go to an mma class and you're just too open to block that way. MMA guys will be slipping and moving all the time anyway so they don't really stay static and shell up like shown in the Soul Fighters video anyway.

That was a pretty long winded way of saying I agree with you, in principle :)
I wish there was a video them actually sparring with this technique. We normally see this technique used in drills.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know exactly how their online training works - it looks like there may be requirements to supplement it with in-person seminars. I haven't seen anything about them giving out rank based just on online training.

Either way, they are a legit BJJ academy. I don't know anything about the quality of their striking or weapons curriculum.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the 'shell up' WITH closing distance.

It works regardless the punch, it is fast, give you 'infinite' options to follow up and usually favours the trained guy. One should not abuse of that, it is just a no brain reaction, a moment as shown in the video.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the 'shell up' WITH closing distance.

It works regardless the punch, it is fast, give you 'infinite' options to follow up and usually favours the trained guy. One should not abuse of that, it is just a no brain reaction, a moment as shown in the video.
Nothing works "regardless the punch".

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of folks seem to be missing the point here. A training facility is not a McDojo because one disagrees with a method being taught. A McDojo is a fraudulent facility that takes money and awards belts, certification, or awards in exchange for little or no actual training, or training so poor as to be instantly recognizable as such by any trained martial artist.

Agree with the concepts taught here or not, the term McDojo clearly does not apply here.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing works "regardless the punch".
Punch or even push. You don't need to identify the attack. (Do you have time, when you don't expect an attack either?) You need only to identify a preparation for an attack. The body contracts - rather clear on YouTube footages - and if you lose that millisecond you're KO'd (as the ones on the footages).

Of course, everything may fail. But that works quite well for me. I have used that even as a set up for attacking big guys (closing distance) in sparring.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Punch or even push. You don't need to identify the attack. (Do you have time, when you don't expect an attack either?) You need only to identify a preparation for an attack. The body contracts - rather clear on YouTube footages - and if you lose that millisecond you're KO'd (as the ones on the footages).

Of course, everything may fail. But that works quite well for me. I have used that even as a set up for attacking big guys (closing distance) in sparring.
I didn't say it wasn't effective. I'm simply saying that you're not going to have a single response that will work for every single punch (abdomen, head, round, straight, uppercut, close, distant, fast, high-power, etc.).

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't say it wasn't effective. I'm simply saying that you're not going to have a single response that will work for every single punch (abdomen, head, round, straight, uppercut, close, distant, fast, high-power, etc.).
We agree. I am not saying that is the best solution, always. But that is the fastest.

When a discussion is hot and something sudden may happen, or nothing at all, that one is great. They are contracting the body for attacking (doesn't matter what) and you are already there! Simple as jump in or not jump in. I've seen too quick KO's in that situations... I will not over complicate. :)

If it is in sparring I will try as many defences as I can remember for the same attack. Which goes further than one defence for each attack.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of folks seem to be missing the point here. A training facility is not a McDojo because one disagrees with a method being taught. A McDojo is a fraudulent facility that takes money and awards belts, certification, or awards in exchange for little or no actual training, or training so poor as to be instantly recognizable as such by any trained martial artist.

Agree with the concepts taught here or not, the term McDojo clearly does not apply here.
A lot of folks, like me, understand the difference and digress too easily, anyway. :) Furthermore, I disagree with early deviations on new topics...

McDojo or not? I don't think so, from the videos. How much they charge per month, graduation...?

PS: http://www.karatebyjesse.com/93-signs-of-a-mcdojo/

Last edited: