Sorry to everyone I offended...

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Wow. I've offended a lot of people.

But then, on the other hand; the words that have everyone so upset are full of truth.

That's a weird dichotomy. I don't like to offend. But I do like to share my truth.

Since, as far as I can tell, any negative statement about another art, whatsoever, is "art bashing" I will leave off of that sort of behavior from now on.

Sorry to have offended.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Each person here has value withen what they say, so I would not worry to much. Enjoy and keep the converstation coming.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem and keep posting!
icon6.gif

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good fellow for having the moral sense to make sure that people know you did not set out to offend. Offering an apology is not an easy thing for someone to do on occasion, so well done sir :tup:.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Posting on a text-only internet board is hard -- some things written with one attitude are read with another -- depending on the mindset of the person doing the reading.

We don't have a tone of voice, or body language to help us translate the text, and it's easier to be misunderstood, even though the writing is as plain as day. Good luck with this, and, while I wasn't offended, I could see how some others could be, so thank you for your apology.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good fellow for having the moral sense to make sure that people know you did not set out to offend. Offering an apology is not an easy thing for someone to do on occasion, so well done sir :tup:.

I agree, very admirable thing to do! Keep posting, though!
icon14.gif

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey guys,

But then, on the other hand; the words that have everyone so upset are full of truth.

That's a weird dichotomy. I don't like to offend. But I do like to share my truth.

Since, as far as I can tell, any negative statement about another art, whatsoever, is "art bashing" I will leave off of that sort of behavior from now on.

Sorry to have offended.
Won't you take us by the hand? LOL

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Part of the purpose of a"talk forums" to exchange ideas,thoughts and feelings about our martial arts and training.

Many will disagree or agree to your thoughts and some will feel threaten at times.

1000 people may disagree and only a few will agree....this is OK....EACH PERSON HAS THEIR OWN BELIEFS.

We all know "what is facts today? ...may change tomorrow".

Respect and humbleness...does not offend anyone! ...BE HUMBLE!

Aloha ...or learn to fish...or take up golfing...or bowling?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hey, without strong opinions this forum would be worthless. So if you think my WT won't work in a real-life situation, you gotta say so. If people didn't disagree, martial arts wouldn't exist. As long as we keep it respectful, controversy is cool. Keep it coming.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry to have offended.

I know what you mean - you want to present a sound truth about something, but you don't want to step on anyone's toes in the process. It is a fine line and I suspect that I have crossed it many times, myself. I think that it is good that you show that you were not intending to offend anyone. I try to apologize and make it clear that I value and respect the opinions of everyone in the MT community every opportunity that I get. The nature of internet forums is inevitably going to lead to heated debates and hurt feelings one way or another. There is no way around that. However, like everyone has stated thus far, as long as we keep it respectful and we remain humble, then things should be fine.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a comment... take or leave it at your will.

I think there is sometimes a fine line between stating an opinion about any art, and bashing that same art. Opinion is backed up by reasons; they may be your own, but they are reasons that someone else can look at and recognize as such. Bashing may have justifications or excuses, essentially supporting a negative opinion by more opinions without any factual justification.

Broad example:
BillyBobDo sucks 'cause I don't like it! Opinion, and bashing, no real reason.
BillyBobDo sucks because it's all based on having a hoe and a John Deere tractor, and most people don't have them. Opion, supported by a reason

But then... this is just my opinion.

I applaud your maturity in recognizing that you may have offended someone, albeit unintentionally, and apologizing. I hope I've not been guilty myself -- and if I have, I, too, apologize!

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just a comment... take or leave it at your will.

I think there is sometimes a fine line between stating an opinion about any art, and bashing that same art. Opinion is backed up by reasons; they may be your own, but they are reasons that someone else can look at and recognize as such. Bashing may have justifications or excuses, essentially supporting a negative opinion by more opinions without any factual justification.

Broad example:
BillyBobDo sucks 'cause I don't like it! Opinion, and bashing, no real reason.
BillyBobDo sucks because it's all based on having a hoe and a John Deere tractor, and most people don't have them. Opion, supported by a reason

But then... this is just my opinion.

I applaud your maturity in recognizing that you may have offended someone, albeit unintentionally, and apologizing. I hope I've not been guilty myself -- and if I have, I, too, apologize!

The BillyBobDo that I learned was based big ol' trucks with muddin' tires, hairdressers that smack their gum, and fishin' with a cane pole. A true master of BillyBobDo was the one with the longest/shortest mullet and the biggest beer belly.

Bye the way, in this spirit of community reconciliation...I am sorry, too!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will take a page from my sensei's book here. " Everybody's karate is #1."

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's all good, we have our opinions/views and if someone doesn't like it, they can speak up and say so, that is how knowledge/information is exchanged as long as it's done in a constructive way so both or all can learn from it.

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm an Australian so I've just been told to say sorry to a whole race of people that I don't even know

Keep on posting dude, say what you mean and mean what you say people are bound to be offended about something that you say or do sometimes.

OP
Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey, without strong opinions this forum would be worthless. So if you think my WT won't work in a real-life situation, you gotta say so. If people didn't disagree, martial arts wouldn't exist. As long as we keep it respectful, controversy is cool. Keep it coming.

I truly agree with you Geezer.

But when forum moderators are sending me "Hey stop flaming! Last warning!" type messages, I have to backtrack some.

I was truly, truly amazed at some of my posts that were being called "flames."

In fact, I was really taken aback by it. I realized that a person simply can't express himself openly in this forum / website.

I realized that because people are fairly insecure and easily offended, that if I said something like "Wing Chun just doesn't seem to work." And repeated that statement as people argued with me - that I would be kicked off the forum.

So, I apologised - and meant it. Because while I think a restriction on freedom of speech of any kind is reprehensible ---

--- it doesn't change the fact that I hate to hurt a person's feelings.

I think web forums are useless without strong opinions. But your forum moderators do not.

---

Example:
On one sub, a "ninja" who weighs 260 pounds said he had developed the "ninja look" because when he was in a parking lot with someone, if he gave the look at the guy, the guy would cringe and look scared.

I suggested that a 260 pound weightlifter throwing around dirty looks in our society is usually thought to be a bully.

Since most people don't weigh anywhere near 260 pounds, of course his "look" scared them. HE'S A BIG DUDE.

Forum moderators went crazy on that one.

Apparently I was NOTsupposed to point out that people are naturally scared of a large guy throwing out dirty looks in parking lots and that it just might might might not have anything to do with his ninja abilities at all.

Man. I received no end of crap for that obvious statement.

--

So, I apologized.

Latest Discussions