Some serious m.a. .......... dance moves?

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fair question. Here's my thoughts on the matter.

The voice-over commentary (as translated by AngryHobbit) seems worthy of ridicule regardless of the art. However since most of us can't speak Russian, we can't use that as a basis for criticism.

The comparison to goofy dancing seems spot-on due to certain sections of the clip where the practitioner appears to be moving to a dance rhythm. This is mildly amusing whether the moves are martially effective or not. Honestly, I can't tell whether he was doing that deliberately or not. I've seen TKD demos set to music in such a way that it turned them into dance routines. He might have been playing with something like that. Anyway, there's a place for martial movements hidden in dance. It's just that some dances are beautiful (capoeira) and some are funny looking (whatever this is).

I do see a relationship between whatever this is and Systema. Some of the movements are similar and Systema does have a lot of techniques I don't consider practical. However I have seen Systema practitioners with some good underlying body mechanics worthy of study. This looks like a bad version of Systema mixed with a bad version of some form of Kung Fu.

That said, I'm not piling on to criticize the martial art or the practitioners. There's plenty of bad martial arts on YouTube and unless someone is specifically asking for a critique there's no point in randomly picking one video out to dump on. I just thought that the video seemed like a good representation of what imagined the dance stylings of Folsom Smedry* to look like.

*(character from a book by Brandon Sanderson)
Thank you, Tony! You said it so well I don't have anything to add. :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say scorn and ridicule are synonymous. Both suggest a contempt for the subject.

I think I've seen a systema video where a navy seal gets tooled. If I find it, maybe we can have some fun ridiculing that, too. :)
If you want to exercise in semantics, be my guest. I thought this was a martial arts forum. The video was funny, and a whole lot of us reacted to it as such. I had more fun than others because I speak the language and could truly appreciate the inordinate self-importance and hamminess of it all. If you have a problem with any of the above - nothing I can do about that.

I've seen other systema (or "sistema") videos and I am still trying to figure out why Russian military gave up the highly practical and effective sambo (which every male in my family studied, having been in the army - sambo was a standard and a requirement) in favor of systema. I found all of systema videos ridiculous and impractical, from the martial arts standpoint - good breakdancing though! So, I don't see how I am displaying any double standard.

P.S. I love Master Ken. When it comes to not getting to serious on the subject of martial arts - he really gets it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you want to exercise in semantics, be my guest. I thought this was a martial arts forum. The video was funny, and a whole lot of us reacted to it as such. I had more fun than others because I speak the language and could truly appreciate the inordinate self-importance and hamminess of it all. If you have a problem with any of the above - nothing I can do about that.

I've seen other systema (or "sistema") videos and I am still trying to figure out why Russian military gave up the highly practical and effective sambo (which every male in my family studied, having been in the army - sambo was a standard and a requirement) in favor of systema. I found all of systema videos ridiculous and impractical, from the martial arts standpoint - good breakdancing though! So, I don't see how I am displaying any double standard.

P.S. I love Master Ken. When it comes to not getting to serious on the subject of martial arts - he really gets it.
I'm not sure why you're taking my question to the group so personally.

Words mean things. Ridicule and scorn are synonyms. That's just English, not picking nits.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Krav Maga vs Systema Spetsnaz - SYSTEMA SPETSNAZ - RUSSIAN MARTIAL ARTS
Both are for street fights
Both are to do with maximum brutality
Both focus on physical rather than mental agression
Both use simple techniques from a vast variety of Martial Arts
Any questions?
Yes, I have a question. Would you not say general statements like that describe almost every martial art in existence?

At least, they all make those claims. These two are nothing alike in form, structure, philosophy or execution. One is primarily a stand up system, the other a grappling system. Nothing alike.

Since you are brand new here and barely even out of the package, why don't you go make an introduction post so we can at least know what sort of background you are speaking from, if any?

Edit - Oh ya you are the 16 year old that is writing a "book". I've literally been training for two of your lifespans lol.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Krav Maga vs Systema Spetsnaz - SYSTEMA SPETSNAZ - RUSSIAN MARTIAL ARTS
Both are for street fights
Both are to do with maximum brutality
Both focus on physical rather than mental agression
Both use simple techniques from a vast variety of Martial Arts
Any questions?
Those same points can be said of other systems/arts, as well. The two systems in question do share them, and the points are reasonably generic. I think the point was that there's nothing similar about the systems, in what's inherent in them - the techniques and movement style. (I know too little of Systema to offer an opinion either way.)

Latest Discussions