Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What doesn't work here?

(ok the photoshop on the last one's lame, I've had a few people tell me that and I agree)

are the crops off, is it the coloration, etc?

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
The third picture simply isn't flattering. Pics one and two work because of the girl's face. Personally, I don't care for her outfit or look, but I assume she does, and she has quite a lovely face. I'd scrap the third one altogether.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What doesn't work here?

(quote]

She's wearing way too much clothing.

I like the 1st and 2nd shots. The 1st shot would also look good if cropped just above her knees.

The 3rd shot, the pose looks unnatural and I don't like the composition. Maybe it looks a little too photo shopped (for lack of a better term) for my taste.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And just to show that you can't please anyone, I actually think that the third shot is the best :D.

I like the composition as it makes me wonder what she's looking at and what she's thinking.

In all seriousness, in the feeling of present-but-distant it engenders it puts me in mind of some classical portraiture that I've seen.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
#2 is a crop in of #1, for anyone wondering.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Others here have some very good comments.

The thing that most stands out is that the lighting and angle of the first/second shots gives the girls face so little relief that it looks squashed, flat and distorted. It doesn't take best advantage of her features.

The shoes are definitely part of her look, but the prominence you give them make everything, and the subject herself, take on a clunky blocky air. It doesn't so much contrast with the surroundings as make her seem ungainly.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its the lighting IMO. It was either too harsh or too washed out. Im no Pro Photog so take that as ya will.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice shots Bob! The third one makes her look a bit chubby around the tummy, and the effects are ... not so cool. I like them though, she's cute, just do something about that third one.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think she'd be a great figure model, but at the moment it's not something she's interested in doing. I'd love to shoot her again though. This shoot was rather rushed (only had 45 minutes) and the conditions weren't favorable (4pm lighting, outdoors was wet and windy so limited to the indoor portion of the gardens, etc).

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
The third picture simply isn't flattering. Pics one and two work because of the girl's face. Personally, I don't care for her outfit or look, but I assume she does, and she has quite a lovely face. I'd scrap the third one altogether.

I counted the shots wrong -- it's fourth one that I don't care for.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some reworking on #4.

Attachments

• $_MG_1384b_web.jpg
    $_MG_1384b_web.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 272

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, much more to my tastes but the uneven lighting on her upper back and on her arms remains a distraction to me!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a side question..what is the story with those sort of boots? Is there some "story" behind them or are they simply a "looks cool" statement? I see the "alternative culture" sorts wearing them quite a bit. Those and the "bell bottom extreme"/skirt/hakama style "jeans".

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly, no idea. I think its the "looks cool" thing. What I've been told is that they are very comfortable, nice n cushy, etc. Course, they said that about Doc Martins and those $125 pos made my feet bleed...something the $20 jungle boots didn't do. LOL

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Others here have some very good comments.

The thing that most stands out is that the lighting and angle of the first/second shots gives the girls face so little relief that it looks squashed, flat and distorted. It doesn't take best advantage of her features.

The shoes are definitely part of her look, but the prominence you give them make everything, and the subject herself, take on a clunky blocky air. It doesn't so much contrast with the surroundings as make her seem ungainly.
That's what I was trying to figure out how to say...

Something about the lighting is off to me. It looks washed out, flattened... just off.

The reworked-photoshop is better -- but the lighting is still off... Too bright, but not enough contrast, maybe, if that makes sense?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1 more contrast
2 more contrast spot dark.

Attachments