Some heavy bag training.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So I can stronger quicker.

But if you make a mistake on the bag, and it's going to happen....like sprain your wrist, then you'll be out for a while or even very long time....diminishing the returns of working towards your main goal.

Want to know the Muay Thai way of throwing round house kicks? Much more powerful than all other styles.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
But if you make a mistake on the bag, and it's going to happen....like sprain your wrist, then you'll be out for a while or even very long time....diminishing the returns of working towards your main goal.

Want to know the Muay Thai way of throwing round house kicks? Much more powerful than all other styles.

Let's hear it.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's hear it.

Muay Thai Rear Leg Kick (1 variation, Step Rear Leg): Lead foot step diagonally forward at 45deg about 12-15 inches with lead foot pointed 45deg towards the direction that the kick will be swinging....lead hand cups the your cheek & elbow tucked against ribs for defense....Rear, kicking leg lifts up like throwing a Curved knee (so wide to open up the hips) but halfway through, hips turns and lower leg/shin is limp as it swings towards target in a downward, chopping motion (targeting their thigh)....same arm of kicking leg, swings completely downward fast & hard with shoulder pushed towards chin that's tucked down into shoulder for protection......as upper torso bends in diagonally down & forward (or to the side)....upon impact using the shin, the limp leg stiffens and tightens.....so all in one motion starting only with the step being by itself.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not true. Not true at all.

I could have saved them all of the science data. Any attack where you are launching the weight of the body into the attack will be significantly harder. We were discussing this same thing about generating power of a punch and how boxers and some martial artists generate the force for their punch and that there is a difference between throwing the body into a strike verses shifting weight into a punch.

The slow motion of the video shows the body being thrown into the kick. The only issue that I have is that the kick's maximum power is going to vary with the person's body weight, someone lighter isn't going to be able to generate the same force simply because they have a lighter mass. I wonder if they made sure that the fighters weighed the same and if the density of the leg was taken into consideration as well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an old video and mostly about the talent of the kicker, with maybe the exception of Capoeirista that looks more like a wheel kick.

So a better kicker will kick harder. That's sort of a "well duh..." comment.
The point is that the Muay Thai roundhouse is not, despite your claim, inherently stronger.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So a better kicker will kick harder. That's sort of a "well duh..." comment.
The point is that the Muay Thai roundhouse is not, despite your claim, inherently stronger.

Wrong, a better kicker using Muay Thai technique for a roundhouse kick will kick harder than himself, using Karate techniques for a roundhouse kick.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wrong, a better kicker using Muay Thai technique for a roundhouse kick will kick harder than himself, using Karate techniques for a roundhouse kick.

The way they are thrown though is pretty much the same. Unless you are talking about the step in round house which is more of a "snap" instead of making the full rotation. You always pivot on the ball of your foot and use the bottom of the shin as the striking surface while leading your body.

Your description was good, but I still mind of got lost in the details as there were lots of them. Could you post a video explaining through actions?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The way they are thrown though is pretty much the same. Unless you are talking about the step in round house which is more of a "snap" instead of making the full rotation. You always pivot on the ball of your foot and use the bottom of the shin as the striking surface while leading your body.

Your description was good, but I still mind of got lost in the details as there were lots of them. Could you post a video explaining through actions?

Here's one:

And I was talking about the Capoeira kick being partly wheel kick, rather than a roundhouse. While a TKD's style roundhouse is different than the Muay Thai's, so if the same guy uses both techniques, his kicking the MT way, it will be more powerful.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's one:

And I was talking about the Capoeira kick being partly wheel kick, rather than a roundhouse. While a TKD's style roundhouse is different than the Muay Thai's, so if the same guy uses both techniques, his kicking the MT way, it will be more powerful.

Yeah we were taught to do it that way. But it was often debated if the arm should be swung or not. I like swinging it but some say that it leaves your face open. Idk, right now I suffer from trying to be too fast and I end up making things sloppy. It's get to see things slow like this.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

You do have something other than your own unsupported word for this, right? The video I posted, in which kicking power was actually measured instead of guesstimated, says you're wrong.
I know that being wrong can be difficult to deal with, but unless you can provide some actual science to support your claim, you probably will need to do so.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any chance you have some sort of video where the same person kicks in both styles and a way to compare the strength of both? Without that there's no reason to believe your statement over the video which actually measured kicking power of people who are experts at their chosen art. My only issue with the video is the one that JowGaWolf brought up, but that shouldn't be enough of a difference to make the taekwondo kick go from much more powerful than the MT kick to much less. If anything it might even the two out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah we were taught to do it that way. But it was often debated if the arm should be swung or not. I like swinging it but some say that it leaves your face open. Idk, right now I suffer from trying to be too fast and I end up making things sloppy. It's get to see things slow like this.
It does leave your face open. It's a high risk move when used against people who aren't afraid to move forward when a person is kicking. As long as you can kick it fast enough and at long distance then you'll be o.k. If someone get inside the range then they'll be able hit your face depending on how far back you are leaning.

The weakest point of that kick is at the center of it's rotation so the closer a person can get to the center the more danger the kicker will be in. From experienced I moved in on a TKD round house and his thigh hit my sides and at that same time I gave him a stiff jab (not hard) right under his jaw. Had I put full force into he probably would have been done. There's really no way to give with a punch that comes lands underneath the jaw. You can lightly tap yourself under the jaw with your fist and you'll get a good idea of how uncomfortable it is.
The other risk from that kick is the risk for a leg sweep which is easier to do than trying to hit the face. The punch is good but the leg sweep is easier. I would be more worried about someone moving in and sweeping.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yea, many other MA's thinks that the arm swinging leaves you open....but the shoulder is up and the step at 45 deg, and upper torso bending, is apart of the defense to dodge a cross.
And the landed kick is meant to cause maximum damage and shock, to give you that split second to the swinging arm back up.

This is how it's done in Muay Thai and MMA, pretty much 99% of the time...with the rear leg roundhouse being their bread & butter.....and who fights more, Muay Thai fighters with 200-400 fights in their careers in Thailand or other TMA fighters?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You do have something other than your own unsupported word for this, right? The video I posted, in which kicking power was actually measured instead of guesstimated, says you're wrong.
I know that being wrong can be difficult to deal with, but unless you can provide some actual science to support your claim, you probably will need to do so.

Man, I just told you...that video was based on the TALENT of the fighter. Making that TKD guy, kick the MT way......after some decent practice time, he'd be kicking harder than his TKD kick.

Fight Science is BS at times....like the time they put up Lucia Rijker vs. some Male Boxer in a punch test.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man, I just told you...that video was based on the TALENT of the fighter. Making that TKD guy, kick the MT way......after some decent practice time, he'd be kicking harder than his TKD kick.

Fight Science is BS at times....like the time they put up Lucia Rijker vs. some Male Boxer in a punch test.

And i think baz rutten went and broke sone punching records as well.

OP. You need to get some instruction on kicks to make them better.

Trying to figure it out from you tube will be difficult.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any chance you have some sort of video where the same person kicks in both styles and a way to compare the strength of both? Without that there's no reason to believe your statement over the video which actually measured kicking power of people who are experts at their chosen art. My only issue with the video is the one that JowGaWolf brought up, but that shouldn't be enough of a difference to make the taekwondo kick go from much more powerful than the MT kick to much less. If anything it might even the two out.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any such video. But a good test would be for you to try the MT kick out yourself. Get decently used to it and see for yourself. Like if you want to teach me the Kempo style, I'd try it.

Speaking for myself, I started with TKD for many years and can kick fast and hard. My first MT class, I had to learn this MT, step 45deg, roundhouse. I was resistant to it because I felt that my TKD ways were superior and I kicked harder than many from this 15+ student class and equal to some of the bigger guys with 1+ year MT training....using my TKD style RH. But as I became receptive to the MT style RH, I realized how much more power my kicks became after only a short period of time. Dudes at KF schools that I went to to spar were impressed by the power also. Compared to other MT fighters, my kicks are decent but nothing special.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Move your upper body sideways a bit.

Latest Discussions