Some guidance for a beginner would be SUPER appreciated.

iamstevengold

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just joined the forum. Looking forward to being a part of the community!

Ive been tossing around the idea of joining MA for a while now, and am certain it's something I am going to commit to. So naturally, I first need to decide on a style right?

Hours & hours later of digging through the rabbit hole of YouTube, the styles that interest me the most both happen to be FMA: Kali & Aikido. Alot of people on YouTube hate on Aikido because it isn't "practical" or "realistic in a real fight", but Im mainly joining MA to be a part of something, and to enjoy the art itself.

I think Aikido is beautiful. I love the elegance, and the idea of being able to use your opponents moves against them, or to throw them off balance. Also it seems its more about understanding how to the body works beyond punches and throws. Knowing how to break any fall.

But there doesn't seem to be much offense to it, and there also aren't competitions or sparring. After I have the basics of whichever art I choose, I would like to Spar. I'm a bit of a competitive person, and more importantly always need something to strive forward. A goal. So being able to compete would be great.

Heres a video I found of Kali that really attracted me to the fighting style:

The thing is, theres so many different videos that contradict each other. So if anyone can confirm that the 2 videos I posted above are pretty accurate representations of each fighting style, that would be appreciated.

Also what do you think? At this point I just want to flip a coin, but if you know any other fighting styles that may interest me I would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance fam!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My art is Hapkido. I have never studied FMA so I can't really tell you much about it. I've never studied Aikido, but I have watched a lot of it, and talked to students of Aikido. From what I can tell, there are many similarities between Aikido and Hapkido, and some glaring differences. Both are primarily defensive, and can easily cause injury if one doesn't know how to flow into a defense. Hence you will not find a lot of 'sparring.'

Both should be very effective if taught and learned properly. You may see people on MT who will tell you that learning against a non-resisting grappling partner is useless, and therefore the art is useless. Disregard that unless after some period of time you come to believe it. Then you should try something else. Still not because the Aikido itself is not a good and practical art, but because either it isn't being taught correctly, or you aren't learning correctly.

One further thing. FMA are good arts. However, from my slight knowledge, they mainly depend on weapons. With Aikido you are the weapon.

Good luck in your journey.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem won't be what style you'd like to do but what is available around your way to train. I'd have a look at what is being taught near you, visit the places, see what grabs you and makes you think 'wow I want to do this', if you like the way instruction is given and it's affordable then do that.
You might be lucky and have a lot to chose from but if you set your heart on one of the styles you show in your post and there's no where to train it you are going to be disappointed.
Anyway, a warm welcome to MT! let us know how things go. :)

OP
iamstevengold

iamstevengold

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! Hapkido looks interesting. I like the aggressiveness but with similarities to Aikido. And I think im just going to Completely ignore youtube comments when checking out these styles. I mean, man, EVERY single style I look at... 50% of ppl comment "This style is useless, the attacker isnt going to let you just throw them"..

Anywho, I live in Nashville, got a few options around here. Definitely will be visiting a few places before deciding on one. If anyone else has input its appreciated :)

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
The FMA video is of a guy named Paul Ingraham who is formerly of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali Global Organization. His movements and style are representative of Pekiti Tirsia Kali as it is taught be Tuhon Tim Waid, who is the head of that organization. I train with an instructor in that same group in a different location, and I can honestly say that having trained in three different FMA systems, and in Pekiti Tirsia in a different organization, as well as Japanese Jujutsu, what and how things are taught in PTKGO is far ahead of anything I had seen before. If you are interested in weapons and FMA in general, I strongly suggest taking a look if there is an instructor in your area. PTK-SMF™ Instructors - Pekiti-Tirsia Kali Global Organization

Where are you located? It doesn't do you much good to explore styles you have no access to other than to satisfy your intellectual curiosity.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

Do some searching, we get this question regularly and lots of people have put a lot of time and energy into answering thoughtfully and thoroughly. Look for 'what style should I study' or words to that effect.

Before you get attached to the idea of a style to study, consider these things:

1) What's near you.
2) What is the reputation of what's near you.
3) Are the days and hours within your schedule.
4) Can you afford it.
5) Will you dedicate yourself to years of study.

Once you have a short list, go visit. Watch, take notes, ask questions.

Then make a decision and give it some time before you decide that it's not for you (assuming you feel that way).

Give it 10 to 20 years and you should be good to go.

Ultimately, style matters less than you might think. Be open.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

Do some searching, we get this question regularly and lots of people have put a lot of time and energy into answering thoughtfully and thoroughly. Look for 'what style should I study' or words to that effect.

Before you get attached to the idea of a style to study, consider these things:

1) What's near you.
2) What is the reputation of what's near you.
3) Are the days and hours within your schedule.
4) Can you afford it.
5) Will you dedicate yourself to years of study.

Once you have a short list, go visit. Watch, take notes, ask questions.

Then make a decision and give it some time before you decide that it's not for you (assuming you feel that way).

Give it 10 to 20 years and you should be good to go.

Ultimately, style matters less than you might think. Be open.

I agree with all of the above except the last. Style does matter. If you have specific goals, there are certain styles/systems that may or may not be geared toward helping you achieve them. It really comes down the the goals that the OP has for his training, but the style chosen matters a great deal.

Some styles spar, some don't. Some styles compete, some don't. Some are into the 'spiritual' aspects of things, some are not. Some are good for self-protection, and some just flat out don't work. Some are good for physical fitness, and some are so untaxing that you can get to 3rd degree black and still get winded going up a flight of stairs. Some train weapons, and some do not. This is simple reality.

Style does matter, as does the instructor within that style.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above except the last. Style does matter. If you have specific goals, there are certain styles/systems that may or may not be geared toward helping you achieve them. That is simple reality.

OK, fair enough. However, I believe that people who train long enough to be proficient in any one of a number of styles are truly dangerous individuals who have great capability to defend themselves, which is something the OP seemed to be concerned about.

If the goal is something different, such as internal enlightenment (not joking here), then yes, some styles might offer more or less in that sense.

As to competition, well, I don't have much to say about that. I would hope that the OP would change his mind about that over time; I know I did.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, fair enough. However, I believe that people who train long enough to be proficient in any one of a number of styles are truly dangerous individuals who have great capability to defend themselves, which is something the OP seemed to be concerned about.
Agreed. There a number of martial arts that are good for self-defense. However, there are also a number that are selling snake oil in that regard.

If the goal is something different, such as internal enlightenment (not joking here), then yes, some styles might offer more or less in that sense.
Yep. Totally agree with that.

As to competition, well, I don't have much to say about that. I would hope that the OP would change his mind about that over time; I know I did.
Perhaps. I'm not going to tell someone else what their motivation for training ought to be, but people do tend to see a decrease in their desire to compete as they age. Or perhaps their body simply will not allow it anymore! LOL

In all seriousness, I would say that some goals are not necessarily compatible with each other. For example, martial arts styles that focus on "internal enlightenment" as you put it, are probably not going to complete, or even spar. Arts that put a primacy on function are probably not going to spend much time examining the spiritual side of things.

As such, my strongly recommendation for the OP is to seriously think about his goals, prioritize them, and then use that as a lens to examine what is available within reasonable distance. From there, make some visits, try a few free classes, perhaps sign up for a month or so at a place that seems positive, and then go forward.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good advice here. I will just reiterate: look at what is actually available and accessible to you. If it is too far away to make it to class, or costs more than your budget will allow, or the schedule is incompatible with your other obligations in life, then it doesn't matter, it is just not possible.

So be realistic in your assessment of what is possible, and then look at those options. They may not be what you initially thought you wanted, but you still might find something that is an excellent fit for you and gives you good quality training and meets your needs.

If you make a list of those options, people here might have some meaningful input.

OP
iamstevengold

iamstevengold

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually Im not so concerned with the self defense aspect, as I am the art itself & the overall experience. But, at the same time i dont want to learn a martial art thats all katas & has no practicality at all.

My main goal is to practice a MA that I will enjoy. For example, I know I wouldn't enjoy a MA thats all grappling techniques. I know upfront that my preference (although Im keeping an open mind) is a mixture of Offense & Defense. Which is probably why Im attracted to Kali (offense) & Aikido (defense).I will definitely see what my area has to offer though :) Theres a couple Kali & Aikido places here so I'll be checking them out this week

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Be careful of your assessment of kata. They are a tool that, when properly understood and properly practiced, and when used alongside the rest of the training methods, can be extremely useful in helping you develop your skills.

Not everyone likes them, and they are not a requirement in order to develop good skills. There are plenty of methods that do not use kata, and they can be extremely effective. I personally believe that many people do not properly understand kata and practice it very poorly, and in that case it is useless. But don't make a sweeping judgement on kata, if it is something you do not understand and have no experience with.

It is ok to decide you don't like it, and that you wish to pursue a method that does not use it. But don't erroneously pass judgement on it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually Im not so concerned with the self defense aspect, as I am the art itself & the overall experience. But, at the same time i dont want to learn a martial art thats all katas & has no practicality at all.

My main goal is to practice a MA that I will enjoy. For example, I know I wouldn't enjoy a MA thats all grappling techniques. I know upfront that my preference (although Im keeping an open mind) is a mixture of Offense & Defense. Which is probably why Im attracted to Kali (offense) & Aikido (defense).I will definitely see what my area has to offer though :) Theres a couple Kali & Aikido places here so I'll be checking them out this week

The problem is that you don't know what you don't know. Not your fault, but you cannot properly evaluate what a system does or does not do if you are not an adept in that style.

Kata is everything - including self-defense. But that depends on the teacher and the student. It is not something a non-practitioner can determine.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I would also like to add the following.

First, please don't take this as an attack. You seem like a nice person who is thoughtfully exploring your choices. Good for you.

However, you are straying into the territory that often gets people riled up around here. That is, a newbie shows up, announces that they want to study MA (good), they're searching for an MA style that does X, Y, or Z (OK, fine, whatever), and by the way, they 'know' what various things are for or are good at. They don't want to learn kata, because it's useless. They don't want to grapple, because X or Y or Z. They don't want to this and they don't want to that. They know this and they know that.

The problem is, you don't know much about what is and what is not factual about MA. You have a set of preconceived notions, and most of them are wrong. And there are experienced people here from all sorts of backgrounds. Announcing that kata is useless or whatever is generally going to piss them off.

Again, no offense. I'm speaking bluntly, but hopefully in a friendly manner. Try to keep a more open mind. Many things are not as you might perceive them as a beginner.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back, no way back, when I studied TKD, we did kata, but we called them forms. No body made a big thing out of it. We were told to learn forms and we did. We understood that we were using blocks, kicks, and strikes. We understood that they should be learned will with the idea that our sparring would be more proficient if we did. We also understood that real life use in a real fight would be better if we could use any of the many blocks, kicks or strikes we learned. But like I said, there was no big discussion about it. It just was a part of our curriculum and we did it. It just was a part of TKD. It was years after I quit studying that it occurred to me they could also be multiple-attacker defense.

Move on and some years later I began studying Hapkido. What?! no forms? This is a martial art, right? Well, it is a different style and requires a different paradigm. We learned techniques against specific attacks. So why do you need kata/forms? Do a search on that and look at the different answers. Generally in those styles that use them, they are a teaching method. When people start bashing forms in arts where most schools teach them, my thoughts are that they, or their teachers, have allowed a useful tool to slip from their teaching/learning. But then everyone gets to believe as they wish. Again, do that search and decide for yourself before you put them down.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First - welcome to MartialTalk, bro.
Next - go ahead, just flip that coin and go.
Then....just go have fun training.

Or...

Spend a week or two and go watch classes at every place near you. Get a feel for each place.
Then flip that coin and just go. You're going to love training.....or not. You won't know until you go.

Keep us posted.

OP
iamstevengold

iamstevengold

White Belt
Reaction score
They don't want to learn kata, because it's useless. They don't want to grapple, because X or Y or Z. They don't want to this and they don't want to that. They know this and they know that.

Im definitely not dismissing kata/forms for those that have said that i am :O What i said was I dont think i would be interested in doing MA that is ONLY katas. Not to disrespect those art forms at all, of course. But i never said "useless" or anything of the sort :p

The problem is, you don't know much about what is and what is not factual about MA. You have a set of preconceived notions, and most of them are wrong. And there are experienced people here from all sorts of backgrounds. Announcing that kata is useless or whatever is generally going to piss them off.

I totally understand the naivety that I have towards the Art. Being new its impossible for me not to be. For example, i play classical piano. Im sure you can imagine the people that think they know how to play music but really have no idea, compared to the ppl who spend 8 hours a day practicing. Naivety is inevitable.

But to be fair, I dont think its a good idea to start something new doing something polar-opposite of what attracts you to that art in the first place. If someone starts piano because they like classical music, i wouldn't make them practice jazz scales all day. Maybe a section of their practice time would be, just to get the technique down. Otherwise the student will probably quit because they're spending nearly all their time doing something they dont like.

At the same time i want to be super open-minded, but i think its a smart idea to at least START with the art that interest me the most. What do you think?

OP
iamstevengold

iamstevengold

White Belt
Reaction score
First - welcome to MartialTalk, bro.
Next - go ahead, just flip that coin and go.
Then....just go have fun training.

Or...

Spend a week or two and go watch classes at every place near you. Get a feel for each place.
Then flip that coin and just go. You're going to love training.....or not. You won't know until you go.

Keep us posted.

Thanks man! Yea im definitely leaning forwards the idea of just going to a few places and seeing how I feel, how the instructors teach, etc. No better way to choose than seeing it first hand.

Latest Discussions