Some grappling advice please.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To me and to all the others I saw, there was only one clear cut solution to the scenario. I could easily maintain control of the arm and keep my opponent on his back. If he moved position to try to change knife hand or even roll into the mount I could get up without being cut. Stomping in the hand or any other attempt at kicking was not really an option.

Just to be clear, the solution I proposed was stomping on the opponent's knife hand while controlling his arm and keeping him on his back. How was that not an option?

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just to be clear, the solution I proposed was stomping on the opponent's knife hand while controlling his arm and keeping him on his back. How was that not an option?
I'm not a contortionist. :D

But seriously, by the time you are in that situation where you can stomp on the wrist you haven't got the leverage to stop him moving. If he does get his wrist away you will be cut and standing where you are that could be the femoral artery. Another factor was the perspiration, which in a real situation could have been blood, making the wrist slippery and even harder to control. Far better to take the escape option and either run or grab something to use as a weapon.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a contortionist. :D

But seriously, by the time you are in that situation where you can stomp on the wrist you haven't got the leverage to stop him moving. If he does get his wrist away you will be cut and standing where you are that could be the femoral artery. Another factor was the perspiration, which in a real situation could have been blood, making the wrist slippery and even harder to control. Far better to take the escape option and either run or grab something to use as a weapon.
I think I must be failing to communicate the position. I guarantee you that neither Derek nor I are contortionists and we were able to apply reasonably solid pinning pressure while controlling the knife arm and stomping on the hand. If I have a chance I'll see if I can take some pictures.

As to your other point, I did say earlier that escaping and running/finding a weapon might be a better option for someone who isn't experienced in ground grappling.

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think I must be failing to communicate the position. I guarantee you that neither Derek nor I are contortionists and we were able to apply reasonably solid pinning pressure while controlling the knife arm and stomping on the hand. If I have a chance I'll see if I can take some pictures.
That would be good.

As to your other point, I did say earlier that escaping and running/finding a weapon might be a better option for someone who isn't experienced in ground grappling.
In hindsight, would probably say 'best' rather than 'better' and I would say that even for someone skilled in ground grappling, the knife is a game changer unless you have spent a lot of time grappling with a knife in play.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That would be good.

In hindsight, would probably say 'best' rather than 'better' and I would say that even for someone skilled in ground grappling, the knife is a game changer unless you have spent a lot of time grappling with a knife in play.
I would say the knife is a game changer regardless. Bare handed against a knife is definitely a situation where there are no guarantees, even if you do train for it regularly.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Seems like a knife would be a game changer whether on the ground or not, striking or grappling. Anything will likely result in your getting cut.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seems like a knife would be a game changer whether on the ground or not, striking or grappling. Anything will likely result in your getting cut.

In fact on the ground you have extra limbs and gravity to immobilise the guy. Your strikes have more effect. And you get a head start if you want to run away.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In fact on the ground you have extra limbs and gravity to immobilise the guy. Your strikes have more effect. And you get a head start if you want to run away.

Yeah, I don't know if I would get up and run away if I have control of the knife hand on the ground, and I'm in position to be on top of him. That's a pretty advantageous set up, and you may not get that opportunity a second time.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know if I would get up and run away if I have control of the knife hand on the ground, and I'm in position to be on top of him. That's a pretty advantageous set up, and you may not get that opportunity a second time.

Till the whole mess flips over now you have a guy with a knife on top of you and gravity is driving that point your direction.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Till the whole mess flips over now you have a guy with a knife on top of you and gravity is driving that point your direction.

It depends what you are trying to do. If you really want to get the knife off the guy. That is your shot. If you don't then don't even be standing there. Don't even be nearby. Get space get a barrier between you get a weapon.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Proper knowledge in grappling prevents that from happening.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a gamble.....

Um........

You are fighting a guy for a knife. If you don't want to gamble.Don't fight people.

But it is less of a gamble than trying to get that knife if he stands up. It means that if you can't get that knife then and there you cant really be sharing a room with him.

So sometimes that is it. You have to win that exchange, gamble or not. Sorry. I don't want knife fights to be crap either. But they just are.

Latest Discussions