Solutions for gapping gi?

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by hemlock2010, Jun 23, 2012.

1. hemlock2010

hemlock2010 White Belt

I'm short and round (5'3" and 157 lbs) and not small chested, and I find myself having to tug my Gi back into place after every activity. I wear a shirt under it, so its not revealing anything, but it makes me very self conscious to be constantly fixing my clothes in a room full of guys who have no problems with their clothes. I got the Century girl-shaped Gi in hopes that it would gap less, but I still have to adjust it. Any solutions?

Thanks!
    Hemlock2010

2. Instructor

Instructor Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    You could sew in a few elastic loops and buttons to act as toggles. Just to help it stay together.

3. Cyriacus

Cyriacus Senior Master

If you wear a belt, its usually caused by that. Try tieing it differently. It can also be caused by the shoulders. The chest doesnt really affect how a uniform stays in place.
    Failing that, velcro or elastic (Like the person above said).

4. TwentyThree

TwentyThree Green Belt

I was going to suggest finding a tailor and working with them to get the right fit. Might be pricey, but a good gi can last a long time and it'd be worth it for comfort.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Try wearing a jacket one size larger than your pants. You may find the gi falls at a better place in relation to your curves.

6. skeksi

skeksi Yellow Belt

I am always having to hitch my pants up and pull the gi top down, too. But I notice the guys adjusting their gis as much as I adjust mine!

One thing that helped me was switching from a cotton undershirt to a coolmax one. I think it gives the gi top more slip. I also have fewer problems if I loosen my belt a tad and wear it more toward my hips than my waist.

7. imitation_vanilla

imitation_vanilla Yellow Belt

An annoyance for me too! I second going to a tailor. S/he can adjust the fit, and also add a closure on the inside to keep it neater.