Solo display ideas

Mujician

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi - I go to a bonsai club, and once a year, one of the meetings is called 'members other interests'. I'd quite like show them some karate. The meeting is next year and i intend on doing some weapons training this year. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what might look good.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've been doing karate training for quite a while, but are just now getting into weapons... I'd be leery of trying to perform a new-to-you weapons kata for them. You'll never know who has a 6th dan in isshinryu, maybe, who'd be more aesthetically pleased with an empty hand kata you're on your way to mastering rather than the new sword kata you are on the way to learning.

Note, I'm not saying do basic line-pattern stuff, either.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't be that guy who kind of knows how to play a song on guitar and has that look on his face while he's trying to remember the next few notes when he's playing it in front of his friends and getting laughed at.

Stick to something you know well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be that guy who kind of knows how to play a song on guitar and has that look on his face while he's trying to remember the next few notes when he's playing it in front of his friends and getting laughed at.

Have you been watching me play guitar again, JR?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you have any experience doing board breaking?

OP
M

Mujician

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Perhaps a year is not enough for me to freshen up a few things.

Do you have any experience doing board breaking?

No I don't - but the thought did cross my mind. Would you suggest trying out the commercial breaking boards that are available or just boards of wood? My sensei suggested Nunchaku. Although I am quite good a poi spinning, I've tried out chux, and they're a whole different ball game. I may persevere.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Perhaps a year is not enough for me to freshen up a few things.

No I don't - but the thought did cross my mind. Would you suggest trying out the commercial breaking boards that are available or just boards of wood? My sensei suggested Nunchaku. Although I am quite good a poi spinning, I've tried out chux, and they're a whole different ball game. I may persevere.

Missed the part that you said you have a year. My bad. But I guess my advice still applies. It was meant as humor.

I suggest breaking concrete that's been set on fire. Go big or go home:)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I've never gone to Home Depot or Lowe's to buy boards for breaking, but some people do do that. (We get ours from a local guy who's made a small business out of cutting up boards for martial arts schools.)

If you've never done breaking, you may want to start out practicing with a "re-breakable board", which is a plastic "board" you can break over and over again and snap back together. I've never bought from kungfu4less, but they have some listed for relatively cheap: BREAKING BOARDS. The cheapo ones that are $20 there are fine for casual practice, though we get the kind they show at $55 to use at the school. I've never used the tile or brick versions.

If you won't have anyone to hold the board for you (don't ask a random audience member - inexperienced people will flinch away or don't lock their arms out to provide resistance), you could stack the board(s) up on cinderblocks and use a hand strike to hit down. Or if you want to be fancy and are quick, you could throw the board up in the air and kick it in half on the way down (I recommend using a "kid's" board for this).

Latest Discussions