Soldiers rescue residents from burning building

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=1]Soldiers rescue residents from burning building[/h] November 29, 2012
By Sgt. Melissa Stewart Army.mil EXCERPT:

FORT DRUM, N.Y. -- Soldiers deploy, defend and protect their homes, Families and people they have never met. Eight 3rd Brigade Combat Team Soldiers proved that on Oct. 31 when they helped several people in the Rhicard Hills neighborhood.

The Soldiers, who were all from G Company, 710th Brigade Support Battalion, help rescue residents and pets from a burning building in the Fort Drum neighborhood while they were conducting training last month.

Staff Sgt. Eduardo Rodriguez, Spc. Eric Anderson, Spc. Ronrico Philips, Spc. Chris Schneider, Spc. Khiry White, Pfc. Dijion McEachen, Pvt. Jonathan Mendoza and Pvt. Michael Parham without question, risked their lives to save strangers.

What started off as a day of training turned into a day of rescuing several Fort Drum residents in imminent danger.

The Soldiers were at the Rhicard Hills Community Center on Halloween for training when the fire started.

As they prepared to leave the neighborhood and return to work, the Soldiers noticed a house was on fire.

"I noticed there was a little smoke on the balcony of the apartment, and I looked again and it started flaring up," said Anderson, a truck driver. "I informed Spc. White and Spc. Philips about the incident, and we began to proceed over there."

White remembered seeing Anderson frantically try to get his attention.

"Spc. Anderson was sitting right across from me in his car … and he was trying to get my attention and waving his hand at me. I look up out of my car and he was like, 'Hey, (Spc. White), the house is on fire,'" said White, who also is a truck driver.

Without hesitation, the eight Soldiers began to move into the building to provide any possible assistance.

When they realized that what seemed to be just a bit of smoke was rapidly escalating to a full-fledged fire, they quickly took charge of the situation.
END EXCERPT
I wonder if they will receive the Soldier's Medal?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my neck of the woods, with my son having spent 3 years there.

This facility deploys a large amount of Soldiers to war zones. These brave men and women are very well trained, as is all US military personnel, to handle any and all situations in the most adverse situations.
Thanks for posting, Don, as my heart is with the Military. "Hooah"

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Now this is what true heroes are made of, not multi-million dollar sports douches or actors.

Latest Discussions