Socratic discussion of Conservative Values

C

Cameron

I do not believe that conservatism and liberalism is something that is easily defined. Although there are some “stereotypes” that seem to hold true, they are by no means all inclusive. Such as, Conservatives tend to hold values closer in line with traditional religious beliefs such as abortion and same sex marriages. As liberals tend to be more receptive of abortion rights and homosexuality. Conservatives tend to gravitate towards smaller government involvement in our day to day lives while liberals tend to want more government involvement. That is why urban areas tend to be liberal and rural areas tend to be conservative. People who live in the city want government services such as more police (because there is more crime), city works and social services. While people in the country tend to not want the government sticking its nose into their business and would rather be more self sufficient. Kind of a reap what you sow thing. Conservatives tend to want lower taxes because they tend to take the attitude “I worked hard for my money and I am not giving it away to some bum”. Liberals tend to not mind higher taxes as they feel it helps bring those less fortunate up to their own level. Kind of a social equalizer. I call that fascism but that’s just me. I don’t think conservatives are more patriotic then liberals. Nor do I think liberals are less religious then conservatives. Just not as traditional. Conservatives tend to be harsher with regard to punishment of criminals. Liberals tend to be…well, more liberal with such things. Some guy kills a 9 year old girl, liberals tend to want to rehabilitate while conservatives want to hang him in the town square.

Just to show that the “stereotypes” are not all inclusive, take me as an example:

I am for smaller government
I am pro choice
I am against same sex marriages
I am pro 2nd amendment
I am an atheist
Not your typical conservative eh?

Anyways, I’m not trying to say I know anything about anything. These are just my observations of “typical” liberal and conservative ideologies as I have seen them. Just as I am a conservative that is pro choice, there are liberals who are for less taxes.

Just my 2 cents.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
I think because local control is always better than national control.
I don't think that is always the case. The roads in the city where I live are always terrible. We spend as much money as a local politition can get away with, but nobody is ever in a position to do it right. If buisy intersections were all done with concrete instead of asphalt, the money saved in the long run would be well worth the money and the kicking the problem up to someone who can do something about it. My point is that local gov. is short term solutions for ongoing long term problems. No local or state gov could have justified damming the Columbia, and they sure as hell don't adequetly address the growing need for adequate public transportation. Why is local gov better for these real and actual problems again?
Sean

M

MisterMike

Touch'O'Death said:
I don't think that is always the case. The roads in the city where I live are always terrible. We spend as much money as a local politition can get away with, but nobody is ever in a position to do it right. If buisy intersections were all done with concrete instead of asphalt, the money saved in the long run would be well worth the money and the kicking the problem up to someone who can do something about it. My point is that local gov. is short term solutions for ongoing long term problems. No local or state gov could have justified damming the Columbia, and they sure as hell don't adequetly address the growing need for adequate public transportation. Why is local gov better for these real and actual problems again?
Sean

City roads should be fixed by the city. State roads by the State.

Problems that affect the state or state(s) wouldn't be left to the local town where the problem originates. I think it's all plain and simple, at least that is how I like to keep things. Oh yea, and fair.

I think you are making the comparison of budget and fiscal items vs. "control."

The less control at the top means more for the people. Any way you slice it. So my focus here is laws.

Latest Discussions