So you're in your yard, minding your own business, swinging around weapons...

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
They started looking when I did kiai.
And when I tossed empty kegs.

They never made a problem of it. As far as I know that is..

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I live in a townhouse just outside Washington, DC. My front yard is basically nonexistent. My backyard is a little bit better, but still too small to do much in.

I have run eskrima practices in the (very) public park in our community though. Right next to the satellite police station, the lake and running path, the playground, etc. Got looks certainly, but no problems.

The second practice, we moved a little further from the action. And, ironically, got someone running straight past us who used to train kali in another state. So he hung out for a bit.

Stuart

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No weapons training yet, but the sparring gets some looks from time to time.

I get more looks from people when I return from a day at the range, no one is sure what is in the long cases in the trunk and I don't think they want to know :ultracool

or are they 100% sure what are in the cases and don't feel like ticking you off?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have a heavy bag in my backyard & do boxing out there. for a while me & another guy were sparring with sticks once a week or so.

who cares what the neighbors think? i'm the guy with the stick.

jf

Damn right.......it's good for the neighbors to know who on the block not to mess with.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a rather...interesting...discussion with my mom when I was visiting her over Thanksgiving. When I am in NC, I like to visit my friend Bill Parsons' school for a nice Kenpo workout. Unfortunately that didn't happen this time due to family plans.

I had a good bit of gear in the back of my car so I spent some time in my mom's back yard swinging some sticks and a few other toys. My mom seemed a bit bemused by it. Her back yard is fenced in, but it would not be impossible for one of her neighbors to see me practicing. I suspect one of them did, because when I came in from practice she asked me what my neighbors think of what I do.

I said I didn't know. The environment where I live is a bit too urban for me to comfortably practice outside, so I generally get in my outdoor practice at work, once people leave.

Do any of you folks practice MA in your front or back yard? Do your neighbors still talk to you? :D :D

Carol,

In the 80's when I lived at home and went to college, it was no problem. We had a couple of acres and behind us was fields of brush. We were on a dead end dirt steet. No one bothered me and no one thought about it. Of course this included all types of weapons, edged and non edged.

We did practice occasionally at the local beach. We would get there early enough to get a grill area and table way off to the side, not out of site, but not in front of the beach or in the direct path of everyone walking. Here we used rattan canes and wooden Boken for practice. Once again no problems even from the patrolling police.

I lived in an apartment where I would go out to the basketball court and use the flat surface for practice. I would have all types of weapons again. All at once or one at a time if I wanted to concentrate. None of the neighbors commented. The basketball court was on the other side of the parking lot in front of the building.

Of course one night when it got dark I decided to head in as usual and I sheathed a sword. I started walking to the building. A car was rolling through the parking lot. He was not looking in my direct and would have hit me if I did not stop. So I did. I had the sword in reverse grip behind my back so it went up and across. He saw me at the last second and stopped and was obviously shaken by my presence. I asked him if he was ok. He smiled and said he was just looking for an apartment to find someone. I told him that the building numbers were on the buildings and that if the number was 5301 that meant is was in building 5, third floor, and in the right door. 1-4, 5-8 .

That is when the Police band scanner went off. He looked and was scared now. So I told him I had to go in and good luck. I got inside and called the local police. (* I used to always have the local police number directly. *) While I was talking to dispatch, someone called in and she was interrupted with me. I heard describe. I laughed. She said what was funny. I said that description fits me. And it was not a gun, but a sword. She laughed. She then asked me to describe the guy in the car. I did. She asked the officer, and I heard him laugh. (* Obviously all Analog devices back then, as the modern Digital does not track well like *) The Dispatch officer and the undercover officer both stated that if I had the balls to call to police on the police while carrying a sword, I must be ok.

In my houses I have not had any problems and my neighbors who were polite enough to talk to me in the first place still talk to me. Now, none of them talk to me during the practice. So, that could either mean they do not notice or do not wsh to interrupt me.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had no problems, practicing outdoors on the backyard, or in public parks for that matter.

Wooden swords, steel swords, no one seems to care. Sometimes people who are interested in/experienced with swordsmanship of whatever discipline come and chitchat.

I remember training swords with a friend in a tennis court, and some passing cops stopped to watch while chatting with a civillian, and then went on their way.

Best regards,

-Mark

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I use to practice outside, in front of my old apartment, but I got a lot of trouble for it. Whenever anyone saw me, they instantly had to challenge me to a fight, to show me that they were "superior". There was even an instance where someone was driving by on the road nearby, and actually pulled over. Got out of their car, and started shouting at me. I had no idea what she was shouting.

Now, and days when I do go outside to practice I wait until dark, and look for an isolated area.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first got into the MAs my girlfriend, her younger brother, another guy and I all sparred around some in the front yard (of my parents house). They quit and I continued on and over time (a year or so) I started learning weapons and practiced them out in the yard as well as katas. Years later I learned that our neighbor across the street had a boy who watched me out of the upstairs window and eventually took MA lessons as well, he even earned a black belt before me. When I found this out from the kids mother, she told me he earned his black belt and then dropped out. I'm still training and teaching.

One time when it snowed (in North Texas it doesn't snow that often) I decided to take the opportunity to train outside in the snow. So I cruised out to the park on the out skirts of town (then not now), and practiced empty hand and weapon katas. I was practicing cuts with the boken up and down the park when I noticed the LEO sitting in a car watching me. He just kind of shook his head like I was a bit strange and drove off.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We practice in the front yard and back yard, and sometimes in the school yard down the block, when school is out.

Where strangers can see us, we do only empty handed training and bokken and escrima. We save the throwing knives for the back yard, and we do not do it when the neighbors' little kids are out. The neighbors know we're martial artists, and I doubt anyone thinks anything about it.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a private dojo in my back yard built as a separate structure. I also have a deck attached to my home and I frequently train kobudo on it (bo, sai, kama, etc). My neighbors don't pay too much attention, although they do get occasionally annoyed when I have a lot of students over and they park in front of their homes.
:goop:

I spent 5 minutes searching around for a "green with envy" smilie, but this will have to do.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do any of you folks practice MA in your front or back yard? Do your neighbors still talk to you?

Almost every day in good weather. No one around here complains.
Heck some of the local police stop by once in a while just to chat or work out.
Now going to the public park is a different animal if I am swinging swords or useing edged weapons but just working out may draw a few watchers but no complaints as long as do not get near others and worry them about endangerment

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Only if it got you somewher with the ladies

That it did, I was pretty fit in college. It also got me in a few fights with the hecklers, which at that time of my life, was just viewed as bare-knuckle practice.

The big meat-heads, were particularly fun to put away, with the ladies watching :)

Latest Discussions