So, you think training with the Gi is unrealistic?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Assuredly not. The point isn't to match every possible combination, but to learn to deal with the general restrictions and advantages of the clothing. That's why I want folks to wear something they'd commonly wear, that's not like a gi. If they wear sweats to a "street clothes" class, they aren't getting the benefit...unless that's what they normally wear (like my uncle).

And if everyone wears something they'd commonly wear, you end up working with partners in a vast array of clothing, so you get to see what advantages and disadvantages an attacker's clothing might present.

If you are distracted by your clothes in a fight. Being punched in the face is going to come as a real surprise.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are distracted by your clothes in a fight. Being punched in the face is going to come as a real surprise.
It's not about being distracted by them. It's about how they may force a change in movement. A suit coat doesn't provide the same range of movement as a gi top, rash guard, or t-shirt. A winter coat can be a significant encumbrance in some climates. Shoes can remove the feel and touch to the ground. Most shirts don't have nearly enough strength to be used for leverage the way a gi is. Etc.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not about being distracted by them. It's about how they may force a change in movement. A suit coat doesn't provide the same range of movement as a gi top, rash guard, or t-shirt. A winter coat can be a significant encumbrance in some climates. Shoes can remove the feel and touch to the ground. Most shirts don't have nearly enough strength to be used for leverage the way a gi is. Etc.

And you don't just deal with those issues as they come along?

Wardrobe malfunctions happen.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you don't just deal with those issues as they come along?

Wardrobe malfunctions happen.
That's like suggesting you should only train against one kind of punch and just deal with variations as they come along. The more variations you deal with over time, the better equipped you are at dealing with them.

Or do you suggest folks just roll the dice on self-defense and figure it out as they go?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's like suggesting you should only train against one kind of punch and just deal with variations as they come along. The more variations you deal with over time, the better equipped you are at dealing with them.

Or do you suggest folks just roll the dice on self-defense and figure it out as they go?

Self defence is just rolling the dice and figuring it out as you go.

That is the skill you want to chase.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Self defence is just rolling the dice and figuring it out as you go.

That is the skill you want to chase.
Yes,. and you're suggesting that the best way to get good is by NOT practicing that skill. Working out occasionally in different clothing gives students the information and input to learn to work with variation. Not practicing that is asking them to be good at it without practice. Care to try that with any other area of your training?

As I said earlier, it'd be like practicing against a single punch over and over, assuming you'll be able to "figure it out as you go" when someone throws a few different ones. How well would that go in the ring? Why would you assume it would go any better on the street?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes,. and you're suggesting that the best way to get good is by NOT practicing that skill. Working out occasionally in different clothing gives students the information and input to learn to work with variation. Not practicing that is asking them to be good at it without practice. Care to try that with any other area of your training?

As I said earlier, it'd be like practicing against a single punch over and over, assuming you'll be able to "figure it out as you go" when someone throws a few different ones. How well would that go in the ring? Why would you assume it would go any better on the street?

Different skills. You practice being able to adapt technique for the situation. Not trying to cover every situation.

Practice being adaptable and creative and the variables will look after themselves.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different skills. You practice being able to adapt technique for the situation. Not trying to cover every situation.

Practice being adaptable and creative and the variables will look after themselves.
Yes, you practice being adaptive. You cannot do that by practicing a single scenario, because there's no need for adaptation, except to that single scenario. I never said folks had to try all possible clothing scenarios - in fact that's a strawman you put out there, which I've already refuted.

Pray tell, how do you believe people can learn to adapt without practicing some variations? Or are you being willfully obtuse in order to try to "win", as you've done before?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, you practice being adaptive. You cannot do that by practicing a single scenario, because there's no need for adaptation, except to that single scenario. I never said folks had to try all possible clothing scenarios - in fact that's a strawman you put out there, which I've already refuted.

Pray tell, how do you believe people can learn to adapt without practicing some variations? Or are you being willfully obtuse in order to try to "win", as you've done before?

Practicing with shoes on is practicing a single scenario.

And play the ball not the man.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think Peter sellers had it right. You have to be ever vigilant.

So awesome. Inspector Clouseau and his little yellow friend. Classic.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
These guys decided to respond...

Funny Video: The Gi Is Too Unrealistic So Instead They Suited Up

Thought it was funny, so I figured I would share it.

No one said training with Gi is Unrealistic. Some one wearing jacket, sweatshirt or hoodie can translate to Gi.

But in summer people will be out in t-shirt or tank top and shorts. By the beach, pools, swimmers and surfers a lot of people will have no shirt on.

Some places when it gets to say 90's degree in Florida or Hawaii some guys will go out with no shirt on.

So this is why some people say training with Gi only is no good like in the summer or in hot places. Unless you move to Alaska where people walking around in jacket and sweatshirt.

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
No one said training with Gi is Unrealistic.
I have heard many people make that claim, and I have seen many online arguments on the same. I suspect anyone training BJJ has heard this at one time or another.
Some one wearing jacket, sweatshirt or hoodie can translate to Gi.

But in summer people will be out in t-shirt or tank top and shorts. By the beach, pools, swimmers and surfers a lot of people will have no shirt on.

Some places when it gets to say 90's degree in Florida or Hawaii some guys will go out with no shirt on.

So this is why some people say training with Gi only is no good like in the summer or in hot places. Unless you move to Alaska where people walking around in jacket and sweatshirt.

Totally agree with all of that. No Gi training is important as well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Practicing with shoes on is practicing a single scenario.

And play the ball not the man.
I'm not "playing" anything. You are. I'm here to have discussions and learn, and you're clearly trying to win something in this discussion. There are no prizes.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not "playing" anything. You are. I'm here to have discussions and learn, and you're clearly trying to win something in this discussion. There are no prizes.

Why is this the second post you have made that directly attacks me?

Have I attacked you?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but it was answered by you just saying you were not doing it. You are just posting because you hate puppies.

Not an attack just an observation.
An illogical observation, as it has no basis in what I've posted. And I have a puppy in my lap as I type this.

Latest Discussions