So what are the bottom line qualifications to be President these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So what are the bottom line qualifications to be President these days? I understand you have to be 35 years of age and born in the USA as far as the requirements in the constitution. For example Pete Buttigieg is running for the Democratic nomination for President. No offense against Mayor Buttigieg but I would have never considered the mayor of the city the size South Bend, Indiana to be qualified to be President Of the United States. I remember when mayor Rudy from Ny was running last time and I thought going from Mayor to President was one hell of a jump. And he was from a major city like NYC not from some pretty small like South Bend. I guess since Trump was elected pretty much all qualifications are out the door now. Anyone thinks they can be President. Thoughts?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what are the bottom line qualifications to be President these days? I understand you have to be 35 years of age and born in the USA as far as the requirements in the constitution. For example Pete Buttigieg is running for the Democratic nomination for President. No offense against Mayor Buttigieg but I would have never considered the mayor of the city the size South Bend, Indiana to be qualified to be President Of the United States. I remember when mayor Rudy from Ny was running last time and I thought going from Mayor to President was one hell of a jump. And he was from a major city like NYC not from some pretty small like South Bend. I guess since Trump was elected pretty much all qualifications are out the door now. Anyone thinks they can be President. Thoughts?
I thought is was part of the" American dream" ethos that anyone person could rise to be president ?.

the qualification to run for president seems to mostly consist off having access to many millions of dollars

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought is was part of the" American dream" ethos that anyone person could rise to be president ?.

the qualification to run for president seems to mostly consist off having access to many millions of dollars

I agree it is the American dream that anyone can be grow up to be President in theory. But I don't think its a good idea when you have people who have never held public office or public office at very low levels becoming President. These are challenging times and we need experienced leadership

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree it is the American dream that anyone can be grow up to be President in theory. But I don't think its a good idea when you have people who have never held public office or public office at very low levels becoming President. These are challenging times and we need experienced leadership
that's what the election/ democracy is for, if you can use your many millions of dollars to get people to vote for you, you can be president,

in the UK, you can only be head of state if you were born in the the right family, in this case our queen and only be prime minister if the queen says you can,

at least you can get rid of your head of state after 4 years, seemed like a better system to me .

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Vote for who you think is best qualified. Simple as that.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

Right, leadership is important, but being a politician does not equal leadership. In fact so many of our politicians are more followers than leaders in the way they pander to voters and lobbyists and worry about the opinion polls.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
that's what the election/ democracy is for, if you can use your many millions of dollars to get people to vote for you, you can be president,

in the UK, you can only be head of state if you were born in the the right family, in this case our queen and only be prime minister if the queen says you can,

at least you can get rid of your head of state after 4 years, seemed like a better system to me .

Yes America has a preferred system as to the UK where you have to be in the royal bloodline.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
REMINDER TO ALL MEMBERS:

Political discussion is not allowed on Martial Talk (per the rules you agreed to when you registered).

Gerry Seymour @gpseymour
Martial Talk Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.