So, time to open a full studio?

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bob,
Congratulations, looks like you have done a bit of research. Something a lot of entrepreneurs do not do well or deeply. One bit of research and planning that many also do poorly is work on exit strategy prior to signing the papers and committing to the dream. Entrepreneurs are great for seeing the potential, are not afraid of hard work and letting it all hang out there, but are all too often very short sighted and dismissive on seeing the dangers and pitfalls. Before jumping in the canoe you should make sure that you have a paddle and a life jacket. How deep is your cash reserve- can you go six months of not meeting expenses nor being able to pay yourself a wage during that time? Will the landlords work with you if things are tight, is there an escape from the lease? Can you survive for a month with out a single client.

You said you are applying for a business loan Bob. I personally think that this is a big mistake for most people. Not sure what you need the cash for but by taking a loan you just increased you chances of failure and added a ton of additional stress to your business and marriage. It is always better to run your business on a cash basis and debt free. It often means that you have to start smaller and move slower but you will still be in the race a year from now. A borrower is slave to the lender. When you borrow money you now have a partner in your business. One that will tell you that they ‘are there to help you’ but like the government usually just restrict you, get in your way and always demand to be paid first. Buy equipment only as you can afford it (in cash) in the meantime rent if you must and buy good used rather than new. So many mistake WANT for NEED and it bankrupts them. A nickel saved is more than a nickel earned when you consider taxes overhead and such a nickel earned is more like 1.5 cents while a nickel saved is actually more than a nickel as you can invest the whole thing.

Won’t do weddings is a mistake…do not limit income streams. You do not like doing weddings, I get that, I hate going to the things so I understand. You have two options then. Charge enough that it is now worth it to you. Find a people person, a college age person, art student type or an older retired person or someone looking to break into the photography world and teach them how to take a picture and send them to do the weddings. Saying I don’t like this part of photography business so wont do it is an indulgence in my opinion and short sighted. There will be things you are not good at or do not enjoy. Either get good at them, learn to enjoy them or hire someone else that is good at and enjoys them.

Start thinking what other income streams can come into your shop. What about camera repairs (you can send out for repairs) Camera sales used and new (do you like trading and bartering) How about a small gallery with artwork for sale (either your own or on commission for others) Photography classes. Dark room services for those that like the old way of doing things. Photographic supplies (paper, batteries etc) for sale. Set up some way of traveling to clients homes to do the photography (get word of mouth and references) in the very best areas for this exclusive professional service

Be prepared for little pay and lots of hours. Be prepared for seven day work weeks and 16 hour days. Get ready for the city state and feds to all come with their hands in your pockets demanding to be paid first and punishing you if you fill out any one of the hundreds of forms wrong.

A business especially a new business will add a stressor to your marriage. Decide now which is more important and then never forget it. It will be very important for your wife to be on board and completely supportive. It will be just as important for you to not hold things in or keep things from her. The two of you have to communicate very well to each other or there will be problems. There are so many issues that come up, family security, time away, LOL time together, insecurities. Starting to address those issues in the beginning will help to mitigate them.

You might have to open the shop AND take a part time night job until and if the shop pays.

You asked in the OP would I use your shop. The honest answer is no I would not. Just not into getting my picture taken. I am one of those unwashed unsophisticated types. We outnumber the sophisticated elite and people that get rich in business learn how to get our dollar. One of your jobs Bob is to figure out how to make us want/need your expertise and become willing to pay for it.

One more risk that I can think of off the top of my head. That your love and passion becomes a business rather than a hobby you risk losing that love and passion. This as well has to be guarded and worked.
You are an entrepreneur already so you know the benefits, you know the rewards and you know the work. Weigh the benefits vs. the costs then make up your mind and get on it. Small business is what drives our country to greatness and it is better to be in the drivers seat (with eyes open) in my opinion.

Good luck Bob
Regards
Brian King

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We got denied on the first round loan app, but are working with SCORE and the SBA to tighten things up and streamline a bit more. Right now the sweet spot we were looking at is probably gone (pizza place is considering it) but still has the available sign up. We're probably a month out from trying again for a loan, but we're optimistic that we can make a go of this. If Plan B doesn't click, plan C is an even more streamlined mobile plan allowing us to set up at events and print pics and burn cds on the spot.

We're looking at a couple options mobile printer wise
Sony Snap Lab Stand Alone Compact Hi-Speed Dye Sublimation Digital Photo System for 3" x 5", 4" x 6" & 5" x 7" with 8" Diagonal LCD Screen. $950
That one's not bad, I've seen a few of the mall Santa's using it. Catch is, max print size is 5x7.

Kanematsu Shinko CHC-S1245 - Printer - color - dye sublimation - 8 in x 12 in up to 0.5 min/page (color) - USB

This is the one I want, but it's $2,400 and media's hard to find right now. This is the in-store printer your local Sears Portrait Studio uses. It does wallets up to 8x12s.

So, here's another question. If you're at an event and going to pay for a photo do you want 4x6, 5x7 or 8x10?

Tentative pricing
4x6 no edit, straight from camera shot $5
5x7 same $8
8x10 same $10

Image on CD, Unedited, take to where-ever and print how many you want - $15

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like plan C mobile studio is the direction we're going in. Banks are incredibly tight right now lending and even the SBA's upped their requirements. Plus side, our needs list drops to under $10k, and we're not going to be paying out $50k in overhead this way.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That sounds fantastic! Minimal overhead, minimal debt...then you can expand when the time is right. I hope it all comes together for you. :)

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How mobile is mobile Bob? Just a portable studio? Kinda like what youre doing now but just outfitted better? Will you have a little trailer thingy to carry all the gear behind your car? Care to elaborate a bit?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Better outfitted, higher quality gear, more full service on location with an improved customer service aspect. Though I don't think the Scion could haul a trailer. LOL. I need something with more power. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Better outfitted, higher quality gear, more full service on location with an improved customer service aspect. Though I don't think the Scion could haul a trailer. LOL. I need something with more power. :)
Just an idea here -- but what about a mobile home? I think you might be able to make a nice studio in a mobile home, as well as being able to shoot on location from it... Might even be able to travel further for opportunities, since you won't have to worry about hotel bills...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's an option, but I'd have to qualify for the loan to buy it and am leery of gas prices. Have considered it though.

Latest Discussions