So bare knuckle has actually been done. The pen has been dropped.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gee I wonder what the people who did bare knuckle think of the differences?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Talking about prep.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bare knuckle fight nights happen here regularly, they aren't illegal just not sanctioned by the boxing board of control. I know people who run them but don't know much about actual 'fight preparation' which I can't see being much different. The fights certainly aren't different from ordinary boxing, less damage if anything.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. I did like bec because we get that transition from MMA to bare knuckle.

I am hoping the actual fights come out at some point. I couldn't find them on YouTube.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing here is that bareknuckle is seen as gypsies fighting in car parks etc and that it's illegal/underground. However many of the fights are on proper fight shows with medics, refs etc. We have mainly boxers going in for it, their problem is that if they fight on non sanctioned shows even using gloves they can't fight on the 'official' ones and go for titles, Olympics, Commonwealth games etc.
I've heard a lot of people say that while there is more blood seen in bareknuckle it is actually safer than fighting with gloves. If you look at the hand wraps now taped so much they are like the casts used for broken limbs and the gloves the boxers punch far harder than they can bareknuckle. It actually does make sense. I've not watched bareknuckle, I find all boxing a tad boring to be honest so as I said don't know a lot. I do know the media is all over this 'bloodsport' and how 'disgusting' it is, I don't know that it is but it makes great sensational headlines.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe that Netflix has a docuseries where they follow a bareknuckle gym and fighters. I have not seen it yet, so I can't comment on the quality etc.

It is called "Bare Knuckle Fight Club" and is about a gym in the UK.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Biggest difference is not hitting the head as hard as with gloves on and the cuts.
Bare knuckle has been in the UK for several years and there was an attempt 6 or 7 years ago in the US. Arizona if I remember correctly. The production company was unable to get permission anywhere to hold another until now.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven’t had a chance to watch the videos yet. Do they explain the rule set for competition? I suspect the technical differences between pre-Queensbury pugilism and modern boxing has as much to do with the change in the rules as with the presence or absence of gloves.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe that Netflix has a docuseries where they follow a bareknuckle gym and fighters. I have not seen it yet, so I can't comment on the quality etc.

It is called "Bare Knuckle Fight Club" and is about a gym in the UK.
I saw that or something similar anyway and the promoter and trainer was an absolute scum bag. A loan shark and a thug who enjoyed hurting people and had been in prison numerous times. Hardly w great advertisement for the sport

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that or something similar anyway and the promoter and trainer was an absolute scum bag. A loan shark and a thug who enjoyed hurting people and had been in prison numerous times. Hardly w great advertisement for the sport

I don't think that's indicative of the majority of bare knuckle here, the fight nights I know are run properly which is why it won't have made it into the documentary.:D

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Haven’t had a chance to watch the videos yet. Do they explain the rule set for competition? I suspect the technical differences between pre-Queensbury pugilism and modern boxing has as much to do with the change in the rules as with the presence or absence of gloves.

Yeah. There was a brief article on it. Apparently it is a half and half. Two minute rounds but you can clinch fight.

Bare Knuckle FC debut delivers plenty of action not for the faint of heart

I still think boxing just got better. Be like saying john Jones couldn't have walked away with UFC 1

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. There was a brief article on it. Apparently it is a half and half. Two minute rounds but you can clinch fight.

Bare Knuckle FC debut delivers plenty of action not for the faint of heart

I still think boxing just got better. Be like saying john Jones couldn't have walked away with UFC 1
It can be more than one thing. Boxing technique may have changed because of the rules and also changed because many, many people experimented to find what worked best. In the modern age, boxers and trainers study video of the greatest fighters in the game to analyze how they move. That wasn’t possible 150 years ago.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It can be more than one thing. Boxing technique may have changed because of the rules and also changed because many, many people experimented to find what worked best. In the modern age, boxers and trainers study video of the greatest fighters in the game to analyze how they move. That wasn’t possible 150 years ago.
The question is, suppose the rules had stayed the same (pre-Queensbury), but the art had continued to evolve with the experience of thousands of fighters and the advent of video. Would the result be more like modern boxing, original pugilism, MMM boxing, or something else entirely?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The question is, suppose the rules had stayed the same (pre-Queensbury), but the art had continued to evolve with the experience of thousands of fighters and the advent of video. Would the result be more like modern boxing, original pugilism, MMM boxing, or something else entirely?

Yeah. I had this notion that specific skills had a greater effect. But had to abandon it after talking to multi system fighters.

We just see too many common themes across different rule sets.

Latest Discussions