So an interesting thing happened to me today...

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I firmly believe that old Sun Tzu nailed it:
  • For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Key word is Subdue. Which is not the same as avoiding or not confronting the enemy. More schools in the U.S. need to teach their kids this instead of telling them not to fight back or to walk away. Sometimes those aren't viable options. Kids who killed themselves because of bullying, didn't do it because they were only bullied once.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I firmly believe that old Sun Tzu nailed it:
  • For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

A doctor who has never lost a patient is not the same as a doctor who has never operated on one.

You know who said that?

Me Just then.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A doctor who has never lost a patient is not the same as a doctor who has never operated on one.

You know who said that?

Me Just then.
Perfect comedy timing. I freaking read that thing thought I was going to be enlightened by some guy that's been dead for over 100 years and then I got to the end... " Me Just then" ha ha ha. You sir, are a genius.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Perfect comedy timing. I freaking read that thing thought I was going to be enlightened by some guy that's been dead for over 100 years and then I got to the end... " Me Just then" ha ha ha. You sir, are a genius.
Whenever I said, "Old Chinese saying said ...", I'm old and I'm Chinese.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

You know who said that?

Me Just then.
A doctor who practices preventive medicine and keeps his patients healthy would never need to operate.

You know who said that?

Take a guess. :)

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Key word is Subdue. Which is not the same as avoiding or not confronting the enemy. More schools in the U.S. need to teach their kids this instead of telling them not to fight back or to walk away. Sometimes those aren't viable options. Kids who killed themselves because of bullying, didn't do it because they were only bullied once.
No argument there, which is why I teach classes in bullying prevention. I like Suz Tzu's quote because to me it embodies the idea that fighting should be the last resort. I teach that. But I mix it with what I call (for lack of a better term) "light-switching". If you have to fight, you have to change like a light switch being thrown from nice guy to eat-your-heart-while-it's-still-beating guy. Nobody wins a physical confrontation by being nice. They do it by hurting the the other guy until his point of view changes and he stops trying to hurt you.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
witch being thrown from nice guy to eat-your-heart-while-it's-still-beating guy.
I think this is one of the main reasons why Martial Arts Master (the real ones) always spoke of removing emotions like anger and kindness from the training of forms. The tell student to remove these emotions because such physical scenarios it's like what you stated "a switch." Being angry will cloud judgement, being kind will put you in arm. I'm a nice guy so if I start worrying about my attacker's well being or my morale values then I'll put myself in danger. Martial arts reduces everything to focus and action. It teaches to fight with the same concern of well-being that a person kills a mosquito with. We don't feel, we just do.

I recently just saw a video of a police officer being shot. It was clear that he was letting his emotions guide him as he was trying to get a guy in a coat to stop walking away. The police officer had his taser out but it would have been ineffective because of the coat, the guy with the coat also had his hand in his coat pocket and refused to remove his hand from his pocket. The police officer gave multiple commands which were ignored. Everything about the approaching this guy was wrong. The only reason that I can think of why things went for the officer is that he couldn't flip that switch, he couldn't shut off his emotional engine of having to actually shoot someone, or as you stated (eat-your-heart-while-it's-still-beating). You could literally see him and hear in the tone of his voice that he didn't want to be that guy.

Removing emotion from the violent action that one has to commit makes it easier to do that emotion and it doesn't put the person at risk of going into a blind rage.
I like that you teach it as being a switch. It's not a permanent mental state of being extremely violent. It's a switch that we control.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is one of the main reasons why Martial Arts Master (the real ones) always spoke of removing emotions like anger and kindness from the training of forms. The tell student to remove these emotions because such physical scenarios it's like what you stated "a switch." Being angry will cloud judgement, being kind will put you in arm. I'm a nice guy so if I start worrying about my attacker's well being or my morale values then I'll put myself in danger. Martial arts reduces everything to focus and action. It teaches to fight with the same concern of well-being that a person kills a mosquito with. We don't feel, we just do.
This is why I make sure I talk in a calm voice about the destruction some techniques can cause. I just comment on it: "And if I can't control him here, I'll take the shoulder out." I talk at other times (not during technique) about the repercussions of self-defense decisions, but in that moment, I want it to be clear to them that if I've been put in a position of having to defend, I can't really afford to be nice unless it is clear I absolutely outclass the guy (and even then, I'm taking a risk to do so). I need to end this as quickly as possible. If that means he has a concussion, broken wrist, or whatnot, that's what I'll do.

"I'm a really nice guy, until I'm not."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A doctor who practices preventive medicine and keeps his patients healthy would never need to operate.

You know who said that?

Take a guess. :)

Except it is a fantasy expectation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is why I make sure I talk in a calm voice about the destruction some techniques can cause. I just comment on it: "And if I can't control him here, I'll take the shoulder out." I talk at other times (not during technique) about the repercussions of self-defense decisions, but in that moment, I want it to be clear to them that if I've been put in a position of having to defend, I can't really afford to be nice unless it is clear I absolutely outclass the guy (and even then, I'm taking a risk to do so). I need to end this as quickly as possible. If that means he has a concussion, broken wrist, or whatnot, that's what I'll do.

"I'm a really nice guy, until I'm not."

Makes no difference.

Some roid muncher is about to take you head off. The last thing you are going to access is your instructor telling you something in a calm voice about the repercussions of whatever.

You are ether mentally prepared to deal with stress or you can hope you have a genetic disposition that can cope.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes no difference.

Some roid muncher is about to take you head off. The last thing you are going to access is your instructor telling you something in a calm voice about the repercussions of whatever.

You are ether mentally prepared to deal with stress or you can hope you have a genetic disposition that can cope.
The calm voice is when I'm talking about the destruction/injury that we can cause (not the repercussions). I use a calm voice to make sure they understand this is not about being bloodthirsty or wanting to hurt people. Sometimes, it's just what it takes, so you do it.

Latest Discussions