Snapping your punches

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey all, been down all week from the full blown flu. Been a week of Hell!!! Because I'm starting to get over it, I decided to put out a short video on my drills for doing snappy punches. As always, opinions will differ because opinions are like you know what. Let the drums roll.....

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Soooo are we allowed to comment on this one? Or we gonna get told off for it again? Lol

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
0 body engagement. I'd offer ways to turn those into real punches but I know how you feel about constructive input
Do your thing I guess.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
0 body engagement. I'd offer ways to turn those into real punches but I know how you feel about constructive input
Do your thing I guess.

This isn't the 1 inch punch or anything like that.. It's just demonstrating how I warmup to get my hands to close on impact to create the snap on punch. Or, if some one is new could possibly use as an exercise to practice how to start. I'm not well enough to practice any power shots or overexert myself right now. I'm still working on getting well.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sooo. Before anyone starts pulling this apart....

This drill I like to use looks similar to a 1 inch punch routine...it's not.

It's merely a drill to get your hands to engage into a fist so that you can build the reaction time/mechanism to create the snap on landing a punch.

I know how to generate power and strike hard. This is NOT the video.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting that you brought up the one inch punch.

This technique is basically an example of how power generation works.once you engage push from the leg, rotation from the hip, extension from the back, and drive from the shoulder, you can still generate ridiculous power with minimal arm motion.

You are demonstrating the exact inverse of this principle. I know you aren't interested in learning anything and get pretty resentful when anyone (graciously) offers any tips, so I won't bother with that, but I will offer my informed opinion to everyone else reading this that arm punching like you do wouldn't hurt a fly.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score

This technique is basically an example of how power generation works.once you engage push from the leg, rotation from the hip, extension from the back, and drive from the shoulder, you can still generate ridiculous power with minimal arm motion.

You are demonstrating the exact inverse of this principle. I know you aren't interested in learning anything and get pretty resentful when anyone (graciously) offers any tips, so I won't bother with that, but I will offer my informed opinion to everyone else reading this that arm punching like you do wouldn't hurt a fly.

Wow, I'll say again I guess.

This video isn't the 1 inch punch. Not the one inch punch, not the 1 inch punch. Just because it looked something like a 1 inch punch.....

I've made clear I demonstrated how I use this DRILL to PRACTICE closing my fist to produce a snap on impact. This is the only message in the video. Nothing more. I did NOT say it was an awesome video on how to generate power or do an awesome 1 inch punch!

In the beginning, I could not snap my punches. This drill help me build the reaction I needed to do so. I was just passing it along. So, relax.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, I'll say again I guess.

This video isn't the 1 inch punch. Not the one inch punch, not the 1 inch punch. Just because it looked something like a 1 inch punch.....

I've made clear I demonstrated how I use this DRILL to PRACTICE closing my fist to produce a snap on impact. This is the only message in the video. Nothing more. I did NOT say it was an awesome video on how to generate power or do an awesome 1 inch punch!

In the beginning, I could not snap my punches. This drill help me build the reaction I needed to do so. I was just passing it along. So, relax.
Lol I think you're the one that needs to relax no one is insulting you they're sharing opinions which is what this forum is for. You could even try and learn something perhaps. This is a site for everyone to share different perspectives from different training and where you can learn. Unless of course you think you have all the answers? If you want to not listen that's your choice but don't get upset because people aren't commenting the way you like on a video you posted. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and everyone is entitled to state that opinion unless it breaks some forum rule which no one has done

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ive skimmed through the video. I haven't got time to be watching a 5 minute video on punching and it costs to much for my wifi. But from I've seen I agree with what has been said. Listen if you're just doing that for a drill to stay in shape and workout and get some movement going then that's fine absolutely fair enough. But you do have some mechanic issues with those punches from my point of view. Of course different backgrounds have different ways so while it may be wrong in my training it may be right for yours I don't know. But in my opinion you should always train the way you're going to fight or soar if that is your goal. For example I don't do a lot of work from a stationary horse stance because in a real situation I'm never going to stand like that. So I work from a fighting stance. Punching power is from the hips. It also helps with your reach and your stability. Also even if drilling punches you should get in habit of keeping the hands up as that's a common problem even for experienced pro fighters.

Now you probably won't read all of this so yeah but those are my thoughts

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lol I think you're the one that needs to relax no one is insulting you they're sharing opinions which is what this forum is for. You could even try and learn something perhaps. This is a site for everyone to share different perspectives from different training and where you can learn. Unless of course you think you have all the answers? If you want to not listen that's your choice but don't get upset because people aren't commenting the way you like on a video you posted. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and everyone is entitled to state that opinion unless it breaks some forum rule which no one has done

Yeah, I get that. Still, the point was..this isn't a 1 inch punch video. That's all I was saying. No worries. Give all the opinions you want. I just don't want anyone twisting my words or saying things about my statements if it's not true.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ive skimmed through the video. I haven't got time to be watching a 5 minute video on punching and it costs to much for my wifi. But from I've seen I agree with what has been said. Listen if you're just doing that for a drill to stay in shape and workout and get some movement going then that's fine absolutely fair enough. But you do have some mechanic issues with those punches from my point of view. Of course different backgrounds have different ways so while it may be wrong in my training it may be right for yours I don't know. But in my opinion you should always train the way you're going to fight or soar if that is your goal. For example I don't do a lot of work from a stationary horse stance because in a real situation I'm never going to stand like that. So I work from a fighting stance. Punching power is from the hips. It also helps with your reach and your stability. Also even if drilling punches you should get in habit of keeping the hands up as that's a common problem even for experienced pro fighters.

Now you probably won't read all of this so yeah but those are my thoughts

I did read all of this, and you're right, different strokes for different folks. It depends on where you come from.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey all, been down all week from the full blown flu
ohhhh I'm sooooo tempted to say..... but I won't. The flu sucks. I wonder if that was what was creeping up on you when you mention that you were getting sick.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Soooo are we allowed to comment on this one? Or we gonna get told off for it again? Lol
One thing I learned by being married. When this question comes to mind then I probably should keep my mouth shut. Unfortunately for me, Men are stupid in this area so I ask anyway lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey all, been down all week from the full blown flu. Been a week of Hell!!! Because I'm starting to get over it, I decided to put out a short video on my drills for doing snappy punches. As always, opinions will differ because opinions are like you know what. Let the drums roll.....

I used to know a few people who hit like this. The concept that they were telling me is that open hands are faster than closed fist, so with that in mind they try to keep their hands open until it's almost time to strike. I use a similar concept for my backhand strikes. Where my fist is loose and it doesn't clinch until it's close to the target. If my punch travels 100% from start to end, then it's the last 10% -15% distance of that strike that is actually with my fist clinched.

I get away with this with my backhand strikes but I don't think the way Jow ga structures the fist will allow me to do the same with jabs. The Jow Ga fist pretty much requires that it stays from the beginning to end which is really difficult. Basically I had to learn how to make a tight fist with a relaxed forearm. Sounds impossible, but it's not, just really difficult.

I do have one question about your video. Do you do this for all your punches or just your vertical punches?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Listen if you're just doing that for a drill to stay in shape and workout and get some movement going then that's fine absolutely fair enough.
ha ha ha.. Not making me feel excited about posting my drills for functional use lol. I have a couple of drills that most people think... "what the hell is this crap" lol. The stuff works but it doesn't look anything like martial arts drills. I.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ha ha ha.. Not making me feel excited about posting my drills for functional use lol. I have a couple of drills that most people think... "what the hell is this crap" lol. The stuff works but it doesn't look anything like martial arts drills. I.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to know a few people who hit like this. The concept that they were telling me is that open hands are faster than closed fist, so with that in mind they try to keep their hands open until it's almost time to strike. I use a similar concept for my backhand strikes. Where my fist is loose and it doesn't clinch until it's close to the target. If my punch travels 100% from start to end, then it's the last 10% -15% distance of that strike that is actually with my fist clinched.

I get away with this with my backhand strikes but I don't think the way Jow ga structures the fist will allow me to do the same with jabs. The Jow Ga fist pretty much requires that it stays from the beginning to end which is really difficult. Basically I had to learn how to make a tight fist with a relaxed forearm. Sounds impossible, but it's not, just really difficult.

I do have one question about your video. Do you do this for all your punches or just your vertical punches?

All my punches. My hands aren't fully open but partially closed.

Latest Discussions