Snap punch

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only thing here that I'm not familiar is the term "snap punch". I was taught something that I believe might be similar. It uses a shift of "one's center". I've seen an instructor friend who specialized in this, knock a student of mine across the hallway in a high school. He used what he called 1/3 power to avoid injury. But, the amazing thing was that he did it with only fingers touching my student's chest. His only visible movements were a straightening of his slightly bent fingers and a very slight movement of his center - I notice things like that as an instructor of aikido - of maybe an inch. Stepping forward at the punch would surely increase the power, at least the way I've seen the similar punch executed.

The simplest movement that goes with this punch is,
from a back stance shifting "one's center" towards the front foot and siding the back foot near the front foot.
It gives the punch more power.
There are other more complicated movements that develop more power.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am trying to find out for sure who and where this technique came from.
When you learn a technique, you normally use it in a form.
I don't remember using this technique in a form.
In fact outside of a backfist, I don't remember any strikes with a vertical fist in a form.
I looked in Karate-Do-Kyohan The Master Text and could not find a strike with a vertical fist, outside of the backfist.
IMO the technique must have a strong kung fu influence, because of the vertical fist.
I was a fool in that I though taekwondo schools were lacking, because they did not know the punch.
I never consider he may have taught me something non-traditional.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As others have stated, each style/school etc. will have their own definitions. Here is how we define it...

Snap: A punch/strike that uses a whip like motion in it's strike. Upon point of impact the weapon is immediately withdrawn with the intent to leave the "energy" in the target, which causes more of a shock wave in the body.

Thrust: A punch/strike that leaves the weapon on target for a bit longer at point of impact so some of the "energy" is used to move the target in a certain way.

It has nothing to do with the type of punch thrown in regards to vertical vs. horizontal etc.

So to use an easy example: Get a heavy bag and when you "snap" your punch, the bag will bounce a little and stay in place with very little movement. When you thrust your punch, the bag will move away from the strike. (in simplest terms).

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have stated, each style/school etc. will have their own definitions. Here is how we define it...

Snap: A punch/strike that uses a whip like motion in it's strike. Upon point of impact the weapon is immediately withdrawn with the intent to leave the "energy" in the target, which causes more of a shock wave in the body.

Thrust: A punch/strike that leaves the weapon on target for a bit longer at point of impact so some of the "energy" is used to move the target in a certain way.

It has nothing to do with the type of punch thrown in regards to vertical vs. horizontal etc.

So to use an easy example: Get a heavy bag and when you "snap" your punch, the bag will bounce a little and stay in place with very little movement. When you thrust your punch, the bag will move away from the strike. (in simplest terms).

I like what you said, makes sense. Snap punch is just the name my school used.
I looked up what Bruce Lee call the punch since it is similar.
Bruce Lee call the punch a straight lead. Maybe that name makes more sense to more people.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As Billy Shakes said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."