Snap punch

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
_7ZjfcHLa_4sPE6uJ-ZNbl5d5nroFSrzez2BjliidHi_K5tJStRLZIlVSxw0y3lKXWVDdx8JxyPu_A0QGzohRxuYUZ7eqf5iv0pNE8tUEpXg55xNyWEhdeDN_wnfZy2D7rTY92mg

Here is a picture of my teacher performing a snap punch.
When I go to tkd schools, what they call a snap punch looks like a reverse punch.
The way I was taught there is no arm rotation. the hip does not move the same as a reverse punch.
I would like to open a discussion of what a snap punch is and how to perform it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The answer of what a technique is by name is going to be different at every school. In my Taekwondo school, we have nothing called "snap punch," but most of our punches use "snap power".

We can discuss the merits of both sides of the discussion of the difference between a twisting arm or a linear motion, between a static stance or bringing your hip into it. But to argue over the name, every school has a different vocabulary.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
The answer of what a technique is by name is going to be different at every school. In my Taekwondo school, we have nothing called "snap punch," but most of our punches use "snap power".

We can discuss the merits of both sides of the discussion of the difference between a twisting arm or a linear motion, between a static stance or bringing your hip into it. But to argue over the name, every school has a different vocabulary.

I am thankful for your reply, this technique has been very useful to me.
I have not seen anyone use it in recent times.
I agree with you different schools or MA may call this technique by a different name.
It would be helpful if you told me the name of this technique.
I also do not wish to argue about a name.
The technique is more complicated than your description.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am thankful for your reply, this technique has been very useful to me.
I have not seen anyone use it in recent times.
I agree with you different schools or MA may call this technique by a different name.
It would be helpful if you told me the name of this technique.
I also do not wish to argue about a name.
The technique is more complicated than your description.

From a still image it's hard to tell. I might not have a name for it if it's not one we do. It looks like a cross between a side punch and a vertical punch to me.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
From a still image it's hard to tell. I might not have a name for it if it's not one we do. It looks like a cross between a side punch and a vertical punch to me.
It is almost the same punch Bruce Lee uses with his lead hand.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
All I can think of when looking at that photo is left parry right cross

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would it help, if I explain how the technique is done?

Maybe. A video clip would be better. People tend to read descriptions through the lens of their art, style, or school. And that's if you're good at explaining it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is clearly not a cross. He has stepped into the punch and really, really rotated for power. Look at the orientation of the blocks and you will see it cannot be a cross.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe. A video clip would be better. People tend to read descriptions through the lens of their art, style, or school. And that's if you're good at explaining it.
Watch any Bruce Lee clip where his front hand starts near his thigh and he punches with his front hand.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is clearly not a cross. He has stepped into the punch and really, really rotated for power. Look at the orientation of the blocks and you will see it cannot be a cross.

I am thinking a lead cross at the moment.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

How do you know he has stepped into it based on the image?

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have come to realise the snap punch I was taught may not have been traditional TSD or TKD.
We were taught Korean names for the all hand techniques, but no Korean name was given for the snap punch.
Jack Hwang and Bruce Lee were good friends and may have developed the punch together.
I am only guessing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968

-----------------------------Joe Lewis-----------------------Unknown------------------------Bruce Lee------------------ Jack Hwang----------------------------Bob Wall

06dNw2JSjf685FA-9IpW4SGDfkYiLuPEPnD6Ero9b8dZ8cPzAjePaKpGQL9luaORuYtwaw70Lsu8yBcj_k-05wT0eHDqxW3fs1M332l2nR6GPUXjlMQ003zRax7Ir0r-CSs1cTx-

Jack Hwang was 37 much older than the others in the picture.
He was able to do amazing things well into his forties.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you know he has stepped into it based on the image?
Bruce had already given me the explanation. Unless I misunderstood (entirely possible) he had stepped in to the punch. But I think I can see the step in the amount of rotation he has done. A harder break if you have never tried it since it ups the accuracy factor quite a lot.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
_7ZjfcHLa_4sPE6uJ-ZNbl5d5nroFSrzez2BjliidHi_K5tJStRLZIlVSxw0y3lKXWVDdx8JxyPu_A0QGzohRxuYUZ7eqf5iv0pNE8tUEpXg55xNyWEhdeDN_wnfZy2D7rTY92mg

Here is a picture of my teacher performing a snap punch.
When I go to tkd schools, what they call a snap punch looks like a reverse punch.
The way I was taught there is no arm rotation. the hip does not move the same as a reverse punch.
I would like to open a discussion of what a snap punch is and how to perform it.
I would say the snap element can be applied to many different ways of throwing. Stay loose, whip the arm(or thrust it) and tighten it up before and through impact.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say the snap element can be applied to many different ways of throwing. Stay loose, whip the arm(or thrust it) and tighten it up before and through impact.

That is a big part of the punch.

There are 3 stages or levels to learning the punch.
You have just described the first stage.
You train in the first stage by standing in a back stance.
Your front hand is open sitting on your front thigh.
The most important part of the fist level is just as you described,
Stay loose, in this case thrusting the arm and tighten it up before and through impact.

By the time your hand is chest high, the hand looks like the head of a snake, the end of the thumb and index finger barely touching.
You do not make a fist until the arm is fully extend or just before impact and through impact.
When you can break boards easily.

Then you can move to the next level, which requires perfect time.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have come to realise the snap punch I was taught may not have been traditional TSD or TKD.
We were taught Korean names for the all hand techniques, but no Korean name was given for the snap punch.
Jack Hwang and Bruce Lee were good friends and may have developed the punch together.
I am only guessing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968

-----------------------------Joe Lewis-----------------------Unknown------------------------Bruce Lee------------------ Jack Hwang----------------------------Bob Wall

06dNw2JSjf685FA-9IpW4SGDfkYiLuPEPnD6Ero9b8dZ8cPzAjePaKpGQL9luaORuYtwaw70Lsu8yBcj_k-05wT0eHDqxW3fs1M332l2nR6GPUXjlMQ003zRax7Ir0r-CSs1cTx-

Jack Hwang was 37 much older than the others in the picture.
He was able to do amazing things well into his forties.

I think the guy next to Joe is Melendez. I think.

And Joe could do amazing things until the day he died.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
While this post did not go the way I wanted, I learn something.
I had always thought that the old masters had all the knowledge and we were just screwing things up by thinking our changes could improve the art. Come to find out my favorite hand technique is not traditional MA.

I was thinking of my Kung Fu teacher who did not teach this punch, but saw its merits and help me made it better, at least for me.
He showed me small changes that allow my muscles to be more relaxed, made the movement flow, feel more chi, and the punch became faster.

This post has made my mind a little more flexible on thoughts of changes in traditional MA.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only thing here that I'm not familiar is the term "snap punch". I was taught something that I believe might be similar. It uses a shift of "one's center". I've seen an instructor friend who specialized in this, knock a student of mine across the hallway in a high school. He used what he called 1/3 power to avoid injury. But, the amazing thing was that he did it with only fingers touching my student's chest. His only visible movements were a straightening of his slightly bent fingers and a very slight movement of his center - I notice things like that as an instructor of aikido - of maybe an inch. Stepping forward at the punch would surely increase the power, at least the way I've seen the similar punch executed.

Latest Discussions