Smurf Blue Dye?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Errr, I've been initiating the discussions?

So, to remain on-topic, how would you re-dye a badly faded blue gi (obviously you have experience in this subject or else you would be spending so much time on this judo thread, right?).
Doesn't mean you control them.

Are you telling me you've had experience re-dying a badly faded blue judogi? I thought they were an abomination to you.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Feisty Mouse said:
Doesn't mean you control them.

Are you telling me you've had experience re-dying a badly faded blue judogi? I thought they were an abomination to you.

I have zero experience with the abyssmal thing - That is why I am asking the question: how do you re-dye the ugly blue judo gi?

Any intelligent and civil response would be welcomed.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Feisty Mouse said:
So why assume I have dealt with a blue judogi?
Why are you on this thread writing about it?

OP
B

Baytor

Patrick Skerry said:
I am inquiring why somebody who spends so much time on a judo thread making rude comments without contributing to the knowledge of judo, or asking intelligent question regarding judo, should spend so much time on a thread that he contributes nothing but harsh criticism of an art he clearly doesn't understand; nor contributes anything worth reading by other Martial Talk readers?
Ah...now the personal attacks. Thank you for proving my point, Patrick. I would like to make the following points.
1. I never said anything harsh about Judo. I did, however, say some things about you in particular. It can be summed up in that I think you are an issue troll. I also said things about people in general who think that wearing a certain color uniform is more important than good training.

2. I have asked a few questions here and there, and have enjoyed learning more about this style in general.

3. My post count: 165. Your post count: 348. Who is spending more time here?

4. You are the one who is harshly critical of things. Ok, I am too, but that that's just of trolls.

Now, to get back on topic. I think that if you fail to take proper care of your gi, it will fade out. I also think that if you take such shabby care of it, you must be able to afford a new one, because you don't care enough about it to take preventative measures.

In closing, I would like to say something laced with profanity and directed at you, but I'll settle for this. Found another picture of you.

troll.jpg

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty Mouse
So why assume I have dealt with a blue judogi?

Why are you on this thread writing about it?
I'm not writing about it - although I already gave my advice. I am addressing your inconsistencies across threads. If you loathe the blue judogi so much, why do you care how to redye it? I would just make sure it did not fade out in the first place. You?

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

IamBaytor said:
Ah...now the personal attacks. Thank you for proving my point, Patrick. I would like to make the following points.
1. I never said anything harsh about Judo. I did, however, say some things about you in particular. It can be summed up in that I think you are an issue troll. I also said things about people in general who think that wearing a certain color uniform is more important than good training.

2. I have asked a few questions here and there, and have enjoyed learning more about this style in general.

3. My post count: 165. Your post count: 348. Who is spending more time here?

4. You are the one who is harshly critical of things. Ok, I am too, but that that's just of trolls.

Now, to get back on topic. I think that if you fail to take proper care of your gi, it will fade out. I also think that if you take such shabby care of it, you must be able to afford a new one, because you don't care enough about it to take preventative measures.

In closing, I would like to say something laced with profanity and directed at you, but I'll settle for this. Found another picture of you.

troll.jpg
THE INCONSIDERATE FLAMER!

OP
B

Baytor

I could say something...but I won't. You do make me laugh sometimes Patrick.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you're losing it patrick...you don't even try do superficial research anymore...you've resorted to personal attacks against us here and in other threads...like the "World's Thinnest Book" thread where you attacked myself and others completely unprovoked...i did not respond to that because real judoka know that judo teaches you better values than that...

you can't even attack me for being dead set against your agenda and your "values"...if you check your rep...i gave you some good points for one of your earlier posts about the decline in good judo in national competitions, which i 'm sure a mod or admin can verify...it was when your arguments lost all sense of intelligent debate and civility that i made it almost a personal vendetta to disprove all inane comments...you have yet to prove evidence for any of the outrageous claims you have made, nor have you given any proof for judo education while simultaneously attacking me for only being a rokyu...all this while evidence has been uncovered that you most definitely aren't who you say you are and are lying about your age as well...

if you wanted to have an intelligent discussion about judo, you came to the right place...if you came to irritate people and flood the board with silly and frivolous thread...you came to the wrong place, but you sure are doing a good job about it...

if you're trying to make us angry you're not doing very well there either...i personally give no weight to anything you say anymore and i bet there are others that feel the same way...your antics are mildly annoying but a source of amusement for us...

keep ahead with your trolling...it doesn't bother me...in fact...i bet you won't even acknowledge this post ever existed...that's alright...i can't stop you, but i can always use a good laugh

OP
B

Baytor

In all fairness Nick, I was the one that started the mess in the "Worlds Thinnest Book" thread. Patrick, I have bits of advice for you on dying a gi.
1. Use a blue sharpie marker.
2. Google "How to dye clothes". It has all sorts of advice. I found this place from doing that. http://www.tipking.com/tip/4806.html They like to use Kool Aid and other nontraditional dyes, but otherwise had good info. This seems like a more serious site about it. http://www.ask.co.uk/ix.asp?q=how+to+dye+clothes&ac=SHOP&xx=0&qid=9BA21E5436D02D44B28C23E007ABFC1F&p=0&s=0&sp=ix&fn=t&b=0&fo=2&r=10&io=1&fp=4&fr=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Edylon%2Eco%2Euk%2F&adurl=

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IamBaytor said:
In all fairness Nick, I was the one that started the mess in the "Worlds Thinnest Book" thread. Patrick, I have bits of advice for you on dying a gi.
yes you did slightly provoke him there...but he attacked me there and i hadn't even posted on the thread...and in another thread he called feisty mouse an "arrogant rat" when she hadn't even mentioned him

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

IamBaytor said:
1. Use a blue sharpie marker.
2. Google "How to dye clothes". It has all sorts of advice. I found this place from doing that. http://www.tipking.com/tip/4806.html They like to use Kool Aid and other nontraditional dyes, but otherwise had good info. This seems like a more serious site about it. http://www.ask.co.uk/ix.asp?q=how+to+dye+clothes&ac=SHOP&xx=0&qid=9BA21E5436D02D44B28C23E007ABFC1F&p=0&s=0&sp=ix&fn=t&b=0&fo=2&r=10&io=1&fp=4&fr=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Edylon%2Eco%2Euk%2F&adurl=

But is their smurf blue dye color between the pantone numbers 18-4051 and 18-4039 on the TP panton scale and between 285 and 286 on the print pantone scale of the official International Judo Federation blue gi tint regulation?

A glaring mistake like that can get you kicked off the Olympic judo team!

OP
B

Baytor

If you're on the olympic team, would you have to buy your own gi?

OP
B

Baytor

bignick said:
yes you did slightly provoke him there...but he attacked me there and i hadn't even posted on the thread...and in another thread he called feisty mouse an "arrogant rat" when she hadn't even mentioned him
I just saw that. I have a plan. A Modest Proposal, if you will. Every time he says something blatently trolling, I'm going to kill a kitten. Next to the cute, dead kitten, I will leave a business card with his name on it. Also, I may or may not argue his arguements with him anymore. Because it is practically imposible, I may just argue whatever comes to mind.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

IamBaytor said:
If you're on the olympic team, would you have to buy your own gi?
Only if your blue gi does not fall in between the pantone numbers 18-4051 and 18-4039 on the TP panton scale and between 285 and 286 on the print pantone scale as demanded by the International Judo Federation, agreed upon by the International Olympic Committee, and the United States Olympic Committee, yet reluctantly accepted by Japan (who still prefer white gi's), will you have to purchase your own gi if you're on the Olympic judo team. So yeah, kinda.

OP
B

Baytor

Actually, the French and Indian war was actually the French and Indians working togather as a team against the British! By the time they figured that out, they were skrewed!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hahahahhahahahahah....also, "patrick" you failed to take into account the limiting factors imposed by technology at the time that made personal computing seem to be an impossible achievement...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Because all the various tones of faded blue gi's are very annoying. And I was wondering how does one re-tint their very expensive smurf blue judo gi?
Thank you for your reply. I suppose faded gi's annoy you. That's alright for you to hold that opinion. I am not a Judo purist. I do not compete in Judo; I study Judo as a secondary martial art and love how it complements my American Kenpo.

Within other martial styles, I do know of some martial artists who like their uniforms to look "well-worn" (but not frayed).

That said, some brands do have a tendency to fade more than some others. I do have one heavyweight uniform in the color you call "smurf blue". [Incidentally, that is the one my Judo instructor allows me to wear to my Judo training classes.]

Other than that uniform, for Kenpo, I also have two white lightweights, one black lightweight [from my original school 18 years ago that still hasn't faded and my oldest son wears it now], one midnight blue heavyweight, and one black heavyweight. I have found the heavyweights tend to fade more than the light/mediumweights. I am not sure why. It could be that the brands I choose aren't expensive and their dye doesn't stick well to thicker fabrics.

Why do I have them? Some have memories attached to them, others serve a more practical purpose. The lightweight ones were from schools when I started out. When I moved up through the ranks and then able to switch from white to color, I did so as soon as I could. I don't know of many females who wanted to keep white uniforms if given a choice, whether they are in my Kenpo or Judo schools.

Your question asked about re-dyeing the smurf blue uniform. There are places that sell dye in that specific color, including the textile industry that will sell to customers. Walmart does have it, but the color will fade quickly again. If mine fades, I will just retire the uniform. My uniforms are not that expensive and I've never had to pay more than $60 maximum. The minimum ever was $15 for a brand new one.

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions