Smash glass bottles with your fist!

Escaping the rock

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello guys, what is your opinion on this type of training? Is this an asset for traditional training or for modern self-defense?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all interested in smashing bottles but I would volunteer to empty the bottles for them... as long as it was decent wine. :)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it literally just punching a bottle?

If so, then yeah, you get the cool explosion of fragments - but useful? Probably not.

Unless that bottle over there is looking at you funny / dissed yo gf / spilled your pint and you want to teach it a lesson.

Bit of a pain to clean up afterwards too.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not useful at all apart from gimmicky style demos to impress people with no idea what they're looking at.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I much prefer it done this way....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It would teach some important aspects of punching, in that a lot of people don't whip their punches out properly.

But it is a very risky way of teaching that.

So I think there are better options.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello guys, what is your opinion on this type of training? Is this an asset for traditional training or for modern self-defense?

I wouldn't recommend it, but that's just my opinion.

For one thing, from what I could see in the first video (didn't watch the second one), that wasn't a 'punch', that was a backfist. And it was a weak backfist at that. It had speed, but lacked power. Perhaps some styles use that format for punching, I could not say.

Second thing, although he had some kind of eye protection, I tend to doubt it would be enough. Getting glass fragments in the eye will seriously f up your day. I say this as someone who has taken a bo through the 'protective' and (insufficiently) 'shatterproof' eyeglasses.

Frankly, I do not see this as having any kind of value to martial arts training or self-defense training. It is in my opinion, what some call 'flash and trash'.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would not recommend this, use a bottle opener, you waste less beer

OP
E

Escaping the rock

White Belt
Reaction score
Kannst du im Video sehen, wie die Faust das Ziel trifft? Ich sehe es nicht wirklich. Müssen Sie mit der Hand oder mit der ganzen Faust auf die Knöchel schlagen? Wenn ich es tue, tut es einfach weh?

OP
E

Escaping the rock

White Belt
Reaction score
Kannst du im Video sehen, wie die Faust das Ziel trifft? Ich sehe es nicht wirklich. Müssen Sie Ihre Knöchel mit der Hand oder mit der ganzen Faust schlagen? Wenn ich es tue, tut es einfach weh?

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Translation
Can you see in the video how the fist hits the target? I don't really see it. Do you have to hit your ankles with your hand or with your whole fist? When I do it just hurts?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Translation
Can you see in the video how the fist hits the target? I don't really see it. Do you have to hit your ankles with your hand or with your whole fist? When I do it just hurts?

'do you have to hit with your knuckles or your whole hand?''

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I much prefer it done this way....

I assume you do know the 'tricks' in this?
The bottles are full of water and he hits the very lip of the bottle. Physics makes the break easy(ier) with the extra weight (mass) and by hitting just the lip (lever), he does not cut his hand.
Plus, that is very thin glass bottles. I have done it with the old pop top beer bottles and it is much harder.
I will give kudos for the accuracy to hit just the lip of the bottle however.

OP
E

Escaping the rock

White Belt
Reaction score
Your age is irrelevant unless you are a bottle of wine ...
I have now tried a few things: with the wooden handle of a screwdriver I hit roughly the same amount on different bottles. I had the impression that the stability is very different. Some bottles just break more easily than others. Champagne bottles are indestructible!
I'm going to buy the most promising bottle again, then I just have to drink…
But can it also be that the bottle in the video already had a crack ..... Or am I wrong?

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Your age is irrelevant unless you are a bottle of wine ...
I have now tried a few things: with the wooden handle of a screwdriver I hit roughly the same amount on different bottles. I had the impression that the stability is very different. Some bottles just break more easily than others. Champagne bottles are indestructible!
I'm going to buy the most promising bottle again, then I just have to drink…
But can it also be that the bottle in the video already had a crack ..... Or am I wrong?
No it did not have a crack in it already but it has been weakened by fire. Notice how the bottle breaks in a perfectly smooth line. This is an old trick used to 'demonstrate' knife hand strikes but it is an old trick none the less.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I assume this is a trick, like dvochran says. Even with that, I'd much rather drink my beer than spill it chopping the glass.

Yes, you can safely call it a trick. Pretty much all breaks in Martial Arts are tricks.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, you can safely call it a trick. Pretty much all breaks in Martial Arts are tricks.
Yes, I would agree any break using bottles usually has a trick in it somewhere.
Board/block breaks, not so much. A lot of power being created to make some of those breaks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

My literal words when watching that: "thats not sugar glass"

I will firmly put this down to the once in a blue moon or special occasion trick. :p If you want the safe version, use sugar glass.

Latest Discussions