Slutwalk -- and PC speech issues...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Has anyone produced any evidence that how you dress affects your chances of being raped or assaulted? No? Then perhaps we should find out before we make sweeping declarations either way.
It certainly affects how you are being treated. And the articles and the judges conduct is proof positive.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anybody seen the stuff that ABC broadcasts on the "ABC Family" channel lately? "Family Channel"?? Really??? Im 100% with Jade and Shesulsa. As the father of girls it worries me.

Thats why God invented Shotguns............ :rofl:

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The officer was wrong to say what he said. Predators and rapists dont look for dress, they look for vulnerability. They are opportunistic. When i was assaulted by a man at university, it was because i was in the room alone with him. His fault, not mine. But he thought i was vulnerable. (btw i was wearing jeans and a shirt that fully covered me for the record) When a horny old evil prof hit on me every time i went to a history mixer at friday nights and was trying to use me for sex I was wearing jeans and a detroit red wings jersey. I went alone though and he seized the opportunity. I am alone most of the time and I know i'm vulnerable. They were right to make him apologize because what he said is sexist and untrue. I was abused most of my life and I read stats all the time. I never ever wear revealing clothes cause it aint my style. Yet I was always bullied and abused.

I would venture to say you were at risk because you chose to be alone. unfortunately you can not blame that on anyone but yourself....People suck, there are alot of bad people out there now...the only one that anyone can truely rely on to protect themselves.....is themselves... being alone is about as dangerous as you can get in my opinion.
Dressing as provacatively as possible will absolutely attract predators, dressing provacatively and staying with a group in areas where you have protection of crowds, friends, and law enforcement will probably get you looks, and comments, but not attacked... dresing provacatively, being alone, and being isolated is just begging for trouble... its about being smart, its not about exercising your freedoms when you are unable to protect yourself for doing so. Wish it was, but if it was these conversations would not be happening.. So no its not like the person in any of these situations was asking for trouble, but they were not trying to prevent trouble either...

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do believe those measures are usually stressed as well.
But I guess the 'slut' remark hurt somebody's wittle feewings. And we all know we can't do that.

Human interaction is complex. and sometimes the signals get mixed up, or an alpha wannabe overstepping boundaries.

You can't deny the fact that the way you dress influences how people react to you and treat you.
And the sad fact is, 'sluts' don't get any respect. Does that justify rape? hell no. But it explains transgressions.

Of course I can't, nor am I trying to. The way you dress is one of many things on which people, justifiably, judge your character.

What I'm trying to say is that the officer's focusing on the victim's attire (again, assuming this is what he focused on) instead of the other protective practices directs the blame from the perp to the victim. This, I think, is irresponsible of him. And it really has nothing to do with the audience's feelings.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course I can't, nor am I trying to. The way you dress is one of many things on which people, justifiably, judge your character.

What I'm trying to say is that the officer's focusing on the victim's attire (again, assuming this is what he focused on) instead of the other protective practices directs the blame from the perp to the victim. This, I think, is irresponsible of him. And it really has nothing to do with the audience's feelings.

did it list the entire speech?
Are we sure he didn't mention other factors as well?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had the thought that if the scantilly clad female form was the trigger factor in sexual assault or rape, then if you covered up, cases of rape would be diminished substantially. So the Muslims might have it right in insisting their women cover up with garments like the burka. Logically, now we shouldn't have a problem of rape in somewhere like the Islamic nation of Pakistan.

http://womensphere.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/rape-incidents-in-pakistan-up-13pc-in-2010/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4223436.stm

Mmmm! Something's wrong with my hypothesis!

So I worked out that Pakistan is probably a poor third world country so it's a different paradigm.

So we look at a wealthy Muslim country, Saudi Arabia.

http://www.wluml.org/node/158

http://atheism.about.com/b/2006/11/...-arabia-sentence-rape-victim-to-90-lashes.htm

Theory still not working!

OK. Rape occurs everywhere, fully clad or scantilly clad, but statistically we can reduce the statistics of rape by punishing the victim. In the Islamic countries the courts punish the victims and this reduces the reporting of rape. In the Western nations, blame the dress of the victims and we divide the crime into two baskets, those who 'asked for it' and those that didn't. This in turn reduces the number of the latter and makes the figures look better.

I think, if I were female, I'd prefer to be anywhere in the West rather than run the risk of assault in the Muslim countries. :asian:

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would venture to say you were at risk because you chose to be alone.

i never chose to be alone. I have very few people with whom i can hang out with. Of them, my best friends are kinda hermits themselves. I'm a loner but not by choice. Because most people avoid me there's been lots of places and things I would like to do and see but can't because i have no one to go with. I haven't got a lot of friends. I know it makes me vulnerable. ut if people avoid me and i'm isolated, wtf am I gonna do about it. Just not go anywhere and stay at home? Fat chance.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Besides my cousin had told me about the guy i was alone with at university and she knew him and said he was nice. She said i should go meet him. I had no reason not to trust my cousin (at the time) and i go everywhere at university mostly alone and i had always felt safe.

I love posting, Bill C. :)

and have a great time seeing you and my other internet friends on here in some other posts. btw its easier now to notice ya cause you got your name done up in bright bold red now.

ganglian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Learned about this from a lawyer's blog...

Apparently, an officer in Toronto was giving a safety speech to students at a university in Toronto and made the shocking suggestion that one way to avoid being a victim of sexual assault was not to dress like a slut... Yeah, he's had to apologize for daring to recognize that if you tempt fate, sometimes fate shows up.

Don't get me wrong -- women absolutely have the right to dress how they want, and how they dress is not justification for any sexual assault.

No, but rights verses potential cause and effect, possible apple to the orange

Latest Discussions