slowly going out

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good day to all my friends of MT, here I am saying Hello to everyone and using this space to show you my feelings. You know since my sambonim partt away from my town and loosing my own class in his dojang things changed to me, this lend to me to slowly decrease my time inside dojang.
The only thing I do at dojang is to teach the children and some teens so slowly I've tacking free time out of dojang and I go to dojang only when the feelings emerge but truth to be told I don't feel happy anymore doing what I am doing, no more adultos to teach and I am tired of step-step-step and kicking circuits and no more, so eventually I will leave TKD.

I am not leaving here, TKD still be a very nice part of me, these days IU've been taking walks on the beach and feeling right seiein people and the beautiful bay, I really don't know waht I am going to do about martial arts, it seems I will take another martial art. something more suitable for me, I am looking around for a clasici martial art where I can interactuate with people of my age and it seems aikido could be the one or even shotokan karate with a friend of mine, the problem is the schedule. These days I am out of office at 5 pm and the aikiddo or shotokan clases starts at 9 pm and there is considerable gap of time, so I go home put on sneakers and go to walk, my walks are arund 1 hour duration, I sweat very well taking the marine brezze and this seems to calm down me feeelings.

I am not ok, work is not good and it has been not easy for me but Jesus my lord is always with me. I don't wana freak my family with my isuess so I try to put a happy face with them, but I have a little depression on me, nothing to worry abou it, sometimes I just feel blue.

Some thing that really worry me it's what I am gona do IF put aside martial arts because martial arts help me to take things and life a little easy.

Well....believe me it's not easy for me to express my feelings in english but I am very sad.

I will keep in touch with you this is a promise because here I know I have good friends.

El Manny

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I sincerely hope everything works out for you Manny. I'm glad to hear that you'll continue to be a part of the forum. Taking a break or switching things up isn't a bad thing and I know that TKD is your passion, but if your not happy that's not a good thing. Hopefully after taking some time you'll find your way back into training.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Frankly, if you're looking for a change of pace, do the Aikido. Shotokan is going to be almost exactly like TKD all over again, whereas Aikido would be something new and different for you. Further, the spiritual aspects of Aikido may bring you some peace of mind, as opposed to the more sport aspects of a karate style.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny, I work for a company with a division in Mexico. I was looking where you were located, and unfortunately it's nowhere close to where I may be visiting. Nonetheless, it would have been good to do a class with someone at the opposite end of skills and abilities; I like and am pretty good at the kicking, not the self-defense.

When I was talking with a Spanish girl at work, she asked how I understand a little Spanish. Although it's actually due to the similarities between Spanish and French, I told her it's because I am part Spanish and my Spanish name is El Chico Danielito. Homage to El Manny!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny,

Lots of things happen in life, and they aren't always what we would like. Some times they are because of decisions we have made that seemed proper at the time, sometimes because of things that are beyond our control. What we do shows our character. You have mucho character. Because of that I am sure you will ultimately do the correct thing.

Finding another TDK school you like, or branching out to another martial art are both things that can benefit you. So can spending more time with your family, assuming family isn't a cause of your depression. You can probably fit continued martial art study with more family involvement. But only you can find what will ultimately be your correct path. Since I am a Hapkido student, I think Aikido study would be a nice change from TKD. But it might not be for you.

But the first thing you need to deal with is your depression. I can't tell you the best way to do that since I am not you. Recognizing you have it is a really big first step. That doesn't mean it will be easy. And it sounds like you have a mild case, but again, I am not you so I can't be sure that is so. Don't be afraid to seek professional help, nor be afraid not to. But if it continues, professional help may be a better way. Don't be afraid to talk to us here at MT, but since most of us aren't professionals, be careful of following any advice here (mine included). Those of us who aren't professionals can't give professional advice, and don't know things about you that would be helpful. But we can be a sounding board and a place to vent.

Hang in there. I will be praying for you.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny,

Lots of things happen in life, and they aren't always what we would like. Some times they are because of decisions we have made that seemed proper at the time, sometimes because of things that are beyond our control. What we do shows our character. You have mucho character. Because of that I am sure you will ultimately do the correct thing.

Finding another TDK school you like, or branching out to another martial art are both things that can benefit you. So can spending more time with your family, assuming family isn't a cause of your depression. You can probably fit continued martial art study with more family involvement. But only you can find what will ultimately be your correct path. Since I am a Hapkido student, I think Aikido study would be a nice change from TKD. But it might not be for you.

But the first thing you need to deal with is your depression. I can't tell you the best way to do that since I am not you. Recognizing you have it is a really big first step. That doesn't mean it will be easy. And it sounds like you have a mild case, but again, I am not you so I can't be sure that is so. Don't be afraid to seek professional help, nor be afraid not to. But if it continues, professional help may be a better way. Don't be afraid to talk to us here at MT, but since most of us aren't professionals, be careful of following any advice here (mine included). Those of us who aren't professionals can't give professional advice, and don't know things about you that would be helpful. But we can be a sounding board and a place to vent.

Hang in there. I will be praying for you.

I really apreciate your words my friend, yes I am having a little depresion, I can not call it fully depresion, sometimes I feel really blue, I hope this will not be too harsh on me, I have a beautiful family, the problem is inside me and I am trying to solve it. I need a change in my personal things, truth to be told I still love Martial Arts but maybe a change is need it, I did Kenpo Karate some years ago and maybe returning to it can be a good thing, a change of athmosphere, a change of ma budies, a change of sensei will do it. I will try to visit my kenpo karate budy and see ho it's going, the class is about 1:30 to 2:00 hours of worek out but is dividen in three sections, firsth grapling, then kick boxing and the last part is the kenpo class (about 30 minutes), I don't like grapling and kick boxing but very interested in learning Kenpo Karate the right way! Anyhow I will go and see the class.

El Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I could not get in. Yesterday I went to dojang, I step out of my car but could not get in. I got inside my car and went home, there I put a pair of sneakers and went for a walk down the boulevard, the sun wa down and the ocean breeze was nice, une hour latter I was at home.

I've been walking all those days, don't know what to do, martial arts are still inside me but not in dojang or tkd, all dojangs in my city are the same and I am tired of the same old song.

Manny

Latest Discussions