Slowing down

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Due to a number of factors such as injuries and money issues at the moment, I've decided to slow down my training and just focus on kenpo again for now and maybe do the odd class in other styles. But for now I want to dedicate more time to just kenpo. That is my base art where I started and its the least taxing on the body. Ill continue to keep my fitness up through running and weights and push ups but I think this Is what's best for my body at the moment. I'm honestly excited to refocus on just that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. I'm excited for you, too.

It's a long journey, ain't it?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. I'm excited for you, too.

It's a long journey, ain't it?
Yep for a while I was disillusioned a bit with kenpo but after doing other styles more its gotten me back into it more. No the systems not perfect by any means but no system is perfect and I have enough knowledge to change the things I don't like to suit my own style.

Going off topic I know but everyone says about Kenpos techniques being ott and wouldn't work and how they do it against compliant partners. Well yeah but bjj does that to as does Muay Thai you drill the moves on a partner so you can learn. I've started appreciating the system a lot more and if it is all I train from now on I'm happy to do just that. It may not be the most physical art but I can do the physical training myself and learn at the school plus I have my own little club/open gym i run now

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's great to hear HH, and very rare for people to listen to their body rather than just 'push through it'. If anything last year taught me to slow down for sure, unfortunately it took a lot of eventual pain to realise that but am here now. Very admirable that you're listening to your instincts.

And yeah I'm excited for you too that you're returning to focusing on kenpo! It often happens that way, in leaving something, you realise how much you actually loved it, and you can now practice it with a deeper appreciation and renewed vigour :).

And that's so true, no system is 'perfect', but what does that even mean really... if there's something you love about it and you dig it, and you feel alive when you train, just do it! I don't even care about self-defence any more as a priority as to why I train, martial arts to me is about something much deeper and important than just a rat race of 'survival'.

All the best, keep us posted as to how you're going :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well yeah but bjj does that to as does Muay Thai you drill the moves on a partner so you can learn.
I've been saying this since day one. Spar to learn. Sparring = fight drill. Everything in a class should be done for the purpose of learning. Competition and street fights is where you go all out for the win. When in class it should be about how much one learns , not how many people one beats. Even MMA training is starting to reflect this.

I'm glad you have gotten comfortable with doing what you do and exploring it more. As for Kenpo not being a physical art. The truth is that you can make as physical as you need it to be. Most arts don't have a rule about how fast or slow forms are done. They usually have different varieties of speeds in which forms and techniques are done. Even Tai Chi does fast form practice. Martial Arts is just one of those things where the training meets you where you are vs always having to do it at one set intensity level.

Keep up the good work.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Due to a number of factors such as injuries and money issues at the moment, I've decided to slow down my training and just focus on kenpo again for now and maybe do the odd class in other styles. But for now I want to dedicate more time to just kenpo. That is my base art where I started and its the least taxing on the body. Ill continue to keep my fitness up through running and weights and push ups but I think this Is what's best for my body at the moment. I'm honestly excited to refocus on just that.
When I finally reached a place where I was ready to focus on one system, and I stopped doing all the other systems I had been doing, it was like a weight was lifted from me and life got better and much less frantic in my training.

I was trying to do too much, always racing to stay on top of it all. For what purpose? It doesn’t make sense to cram it all in, without enough time to train any of it enough.

It is good to train multiple systems, but with the reason to ultimately find the system that is best for you, and then you focus on that and stop letting yourself be distracted by the others.

A lot of people look at my system and judge that it doesn’t make sense and cannot possibly be effective. I don’t care what they think. It makes sense to me and I like it, so I keep doing it.

You should do the same. If it makes sense to you and you enjoy it, then do it.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I finally reached a place where I was ready to focus on one system, and I stopped doing all the other systems I had been doing, it was like a weight was lifted from me and life got better and much less frantic in my training.

I was trying to do too much, always racing to stay on top of it all. For what purpose? It doesn’t make sense to cram it all in, without enough time to train any of it enough.

It is good to train multiple systems, but with the reason to ultimately find the system that is best for you, and then you focus on that and stop letting yourself be distracted by the others.

A lot of people look at my system and judge that it doesn’t make sense and cannot possibly be effective. I don’t care what they think. It makes sense to me and I like it, so I keep doing it.

You should do the same. If it makes sense to you and you enjoy it, then do it.
I Don't do it to be on top or anything I do it simply for fun. I suck at bjj absolutely suck I get rolled around like a piece of carpet. I'm to small to work against guys with similar experience but with 5 stone weight advantage but I enjoy it so I continue it.

I am taking time off from everything else to see how it goes. Maybe ill come back maybe I won't and ill stick with kenpo forever. Either way I'm happy with it. I don't really set goals and honestly don't really care if I'm that good or not. It's about enjoyment to me. I've seen so many guys get so stressed about whether they're good or not it takes away their enjoyment. I don't let that happen to me. If I suck I suck simple as that. I know I give 100% whenever I train I can't do more so I'm happy with that. Okay this reply merged off a bit but hey

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey me too! A couple months ago I stopped training everything but WC. I've been teaching it once a week, and it's pretty awesome. My knees have stopped aching every morning.

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i suck at BJJ too... i didn't mind learning the moves but i hated rolling... felt like competition to me and i'm not a competitive dude. that's one reason i take Krav... no competitive aspect just self defense. also, i can relate on slowing things down. only i've slowed them down to a near stand still, gone to class once in the last 10 days... hopefully i can manage my time better so i can go more often

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep for a while I was disillusioned a bit with kenpo but after doing other styles more its gotten me back into it more. No the systems not perfect by any means but no system is perfect and I have enough knowledge to change the things I don't like to suit my own style.

Going off topic I know but everyone says about Kenpos techniques being ott and wouldn't work and how they do it against compliant partners. Well yeah but bjj does that to as does Muay Thai you drill the moves on a partner so you can learn. I've started appreciating the system a lot more and if it is all I train from now on I'm happy to do just that. It may not be the most physical art but I can do the physical training myself and learn at the school plus I have my own little club/open gym i run now

I know next to nothing about Kenpo. But that one line always makes me think the person saying it just hasn't studied the art they put down with that comment. Mostly I think they are parroting remarks of others rather that try to learn something useful. Oh well, everybody gets their own slice of life.

Good luck with returning to your preferred art only. I am sure it will work out well for you.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know next to nothing about Kenpo. But that one line always makes me think the person saying it just hasn't studied the art they put down with that comment. Mostly I think they are parroting remarks of others rather that try to learn something useful. Oh well, everybody gets their own slice of life.

Good luck with returning to your preferred art only. I am sure it will work out well for you.
Compliant drills are needed in training for anything. From karate to jiu jitsu to fencing to shooting (shooting on a range)

Again as I've said many times I don't know if it works in a real situation as I've never needed to know and frankly I don't care. I do it for enjoyment the same way people go down the pub for a drink. I go to a class to train to get out the house for a couple hours meet up with some people then go home that's what it's about to me. So yeah hey maybe kenpo is useless in a fight maybe it's the ultimate martial art then destroys every art on earth but either way I couldn't care less.