SKK Combos and Various Attacks

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather not just let a kick hit me in the leg, but, it can just roll off w/o damage. The arms are used as a guide to draw into your shots. As for the footwork, coming off a round kick, wher you're at and how they land (remember too, your shot hits them before or at the moment of their landing, as they parry off you.) They are squared with you. Not a good position to throw a shot.

The arms parry also off balances them by stretching them out after the kick. Trying to maintain or re-establish their balance will overide their trying to throw a punch. Added to that, your own shots, you'll be alright.
icon14.gif

I agree with this. Even if they did mangane to throw a punch with the kick, if we go with the idea you list, which sounds good to me, I doubt the punch will have much impact. Catching their balance, as you said, will most likely be their first concern.

Mike

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could you explain this in more detail? I'm having a hard time picturing #5 used against a roundhouse kick, unless the initial block is changed. IMO, I wouldn't want to use the block that is used for a punch against a kick.

Mike

There is a variation in the block as it applies to a kick. For a punch, some SKK systems use a left knifehand coupled with a right chicken wrist, usually against a straight punch. More of an 'x' block is used, arms meeting at mid forearm, against a hook punch. Another variation is against a roundhouse kick where, if a right roundhouse, the left arm is down, almost straight, the right arm up and across, meeting at about the elbows ... hope I explained that properly, Mr. Dwire would probably be able to do better, if this is in fact what he was talking about. I've also seen this technique done using a #3 block, same as the beginning of combo #2.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a variation in the block as it applies to a kick. For a punch, some SKK systems use a left knifehand coupled with a right chicken wrist, usually against a straight punch. More of an 'x' block is used, arms meeting at mid forearm, against a hook punch. Another variation is against a roundhouse kick where, if a right roundhouse, the left arm is down, almost straight, the right arm up and across, meeting at about the elbows ... hope I explained that properly, Mr. Dwire would probably be able to do better, if this is in fact what he was talking about. I've also seen this technique done using a #3 block, same as the beginning of combo #2.

Thanks! :) There are some techs in the Parker/Tracy line that use the last block you mention.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks! :) There are some techs in the Parker/Tracy line that use the last block you mention.

No problem, glad it was readable. Maybe some other will be able to add or elaborate. Oh, and yes to the EPAK thing, I've seen Mr. Tatum use the block in some videos.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme

Thank You!!! I was getting frustrated not being able to word the block correctly. I kept thinking of how point fighters would cover their bodies in that fashion, with their arms crossed together. Anyway, when we would do the technique the chicken wrist/knife block flowed into what you described, as you stretched them out and into your strike.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Could you explain this in more detail? I'm having a hard time picturing #5 used against a roundhouse kick, unless the initial block is changed. IMO, I wouldn't want to use the block that is used for a punch against a kick.

Mike

step in and start with the block above the knee of the offending leg.

marlon

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To "borrow an idea" or in this case a phrase...."whatever the attitude so is the response"

How about #6 used against a right front kick?

Move off the angle, as you would slipping the jab, right hand is low to check/parry/block which ever may be needed, left hand is high checking the punch and the kick goes to the groin under the opposing kick...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you move off line and respond with a linear kick, isn't that just #7? I mean, depending on how you define #7, is the side kick necessary for it to be 7?

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you move off line and respond with a linear kick, isn't that just #7? I mean, depending on how you define #7, is the side kick necessary for it to be 7?

The way I was taught, David, you are exactly correct. #7's basic principle is to move off the line and respond with a linear kick. Whether it be a front, side or back kick does not matter.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The way I was taught, David, you are exactly correct. #7's basic principle is to move off the line and respond with a linear kick. Whether it be a front, side or back kick does not matter.

I believe there is more to it than that, not that I think what you are saying is incorrect. We vary the natural weapon due to target as well. The side kick is an identifyable mark of #7 and is also not a good weapon to hit the groin, while #6 the strike regardless of weapon is to the groin. So could this be construed as #7 well yes because as you mention we are moving off the line and striking with a linear kick. Is it #6, well yes becuase you are slipping the attack and striking the groin with a front kick.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I do agree here, exept for the target area. I believe the intent of #7 is to strike the ribs not the groin and the intent of #6 is to strike the groin. The interesting thing I see here is how they cross paths when we change the attack or how each principle compliments one another.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe there is more to it than that, not that I think what you are saying is incorrect. We vary the natural weapon due to target as well. The side kick is an identifyable mark of #7 and is also not a good weapon to hit the groin, while #6 the strike regardless of weapon is to the groin. So could this be construed as #7 well yes because as you mention we are moving off the line and striking with a linear kick. Is it #6, well yes becuase you are slipping the attack and striking the groin with a front kick.

We'll probably need to agree to disagree here. I see the principle of the technique as "move off the line, deliver a linear kick." #7 is usually deployed when a person is a bit late to deploy #6. I never use the traditional #7 to the groin, you're correct, a side kick doesn't work well to the groin. But still the principle of moving off the line is the one key difference between #6 and #7 ... IMO ... I do not see the target area as a key principle in these two techniques. As you stated, not saying you are incorrect, that's not my place. I'll leave that to people far more experienced than myself.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We target the solar plexus in #6.

moving (we teach a hop) to 730 for #7, then kicking back to 130, presentsa real challenge for generating power becasue your body momentum is in the opposite direction.

How do you address this?

If you try to kick too quickly, power and balance are weak, however you can catch them on the downside of the haymaker. I find that if I use my left leg as a spring, absorbing my momentum and launching it back to 130, this take 1/2 beat longer but... in that half beat Mr. Attacker is probably going to turn to attack me, and he will eat my side kick with full momentum behind it, right down the center to his solar plexus, best case is he is throwing a left punch, because then he adds his momentum too :)

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We target the solar plexus in #6.

moving (we teach a hop) to 730 for #7, then kicking back to 130, presentsa real challenge for generating power becasue your body momentum is in the opposite direction.

How do you address this?

This shouldn't pose a problem for power in fact it should help. As long as your power is in a straight line (7:30 to 1:30) your good to go. I don't do #7 with a hop, I step back to 7:30 and pivot, bracing the angle to deliver the kick to the floating ribs.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We'll probably need to agree to disagree here. I see the principle of the technique as "move off the line, deliver a linear kick." #7 is usually deployed when a person is a bit late to deploy #6. I never use the traditional #7 to the groin, you're correct, a side kick doesn't work well to the groin. But still the principle of moving off the line is the one key difference between #6 and #7 ... IMO ... I do not see the target area as a key principle in these two techniques. As you stated, not saying you are incorrect, that's not my place. I'll leave that to people far more experienced than myself.

Thank you for your input on these two combo's, I never have a problem with different ideas. There is good and there is better and what ever works better for you is what you should use. I enjoy exploring my options and the feed back that comes with it.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This shouldn't pose a problem for power in fact it should help. As long as your power is in a straight line (7:30 to 1:30) your good to go. I don't do #7 with a hop, I step back to 7:30 and pivot, bracing the angle to deliver the kick to the floating ribs.

Boy, this isn't my day, I think we may need to disagree on this one as well. We use the movement off the line as a guage. It can be a pivot and lean; step to 730, 900 or even 1030; it can also be a jump to any of those angles ... it all depends on the attacker and what needs to be done to get out of the way and to also deliver the counter attack, that being a linear kick.

This one may throw you all way off, but here goes ... the attacker is coming balls to the wall with a right hand punch. We step off the line towards 1030, just as in combo #3, even ducking under the punch if necessary and deliver what relates to a right back kick to the kidney area as the assailant passes by. It's combo #7 adjusted to the attackers over aggression.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Boy, this isn't my day, I think we may need to disagree on this one as well. We use the movement off the line as a guage. It can be a pivot and lean; step to 730, 900 or even 1030; it can also be a jump to any of those angles ... it all depends on the attacker and what needs to be done to get out of the way and to also deliver the counter attack, that being a linear kick.

This one may throw you all way off, but here goes ... the attacker is coming balls to the wall with a right hand punch. We step off the line towards 1030, just as in combo #3, even ducking under the punch if necessary and deliver what relates to a right back kick to the kidney area as the assailant passes by. It's combo #7 adjusted to the attackers over aggression.

Why not your day? These are slight differences and also remember that I was changing the attack to a front kick, as the attack changes minor adjustments need to be made to the defensive manuever. As far as the step forward and duck under...Absolutely especially if they are throwing an overhand right.

No disagreement here!

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I teach step to 7:30-kick to 1:30 (prefer knee), would have no problem with any of these adjustments as tactical decisions. :)

I like it! Think I'll steal it and tell everyone it was my idea. ;)

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

we do a double block for 6 contact and control with a straight kick

7 is slip and kick...no block
i like the variations and these discussions...i may steal one or two ideas..but if anyone asks kidswarrior made me do it :)

marlon

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
we do a double block for 6 contact and control with a straight kick

7 is slip and kick...no block
i like the variations and these discussions...
Yeah, didn't realize how much could be gleaned from what I've always thought of as the most basic techs I ever learned. The flow of ideas will certainly effect the way I see and teach them.

i may steal one or two ideas..but if anyone asks kidswarrior made me do it :)

marlon
It's a lie, I tell ya, a vicious lie. ;)

Latest Discussions