SKK Combinations: Concepts

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do this slightly different (I think I need a hot key to type that)

as we step left foot to 1030 we do a right inward block followed by a left outward block, then step right foot 1030, a left ridgehand to the front of the throat with a right thrust punch to kidney area (gb25), bringing them back across the knee as we clutch the throat with the left hand.

Then after the series of strikes we twist the neck (left hand pulls chin, right hand pushes back of head) as we pull the knee out, so this is one of the very few techs in our system that could be fatal so it comes with lots of discussion on legal and moral issues when it is taught.

"as we step left foot to 1030 we do a right inward block followed by a left outward block, then step right foot 1030"

I got this wrong too! must be contagious. it's right to 1030 (twist stance) left to 12, right to 1030 (pivot). I hope that makes more sense.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
"as we step left foot to 1030 we do a right inward block followed by a left outward block, then step right foot 1030"

So are you on the inside of the punch? I have seen in with a left inward block and a right outward block (also referred to as a windmill block) but to the outside of the punch.

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I got this wrong too! must be contagious. it's right to 1030 (twist stance) left to 12, right to 1030 (pivot). I hope that makes more sense.

Yes, the footwork makes sense, that's how I use to do it as well. The blocking is a bit confusing however. I'm not quite able to picture what's happening there.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
did we do combo #15 yet? I like that one, one of the first that uses more circular movements and body shielding.
wait sorry i missed #14 - crazy guy attacks with bo staff, jump over the low swing, kick him in the face and his buddy behind you too.... sorry couldnt resist

so, back to 15, I was always taught it with the guy laying over the knee, now i teach it that way and also with the follow through slamming the guy right to the ground (never going onto my knee for the 2nd one).

we pull them on to the knee but keep in mind that the back strikes the knee :) If you do not take a forward stance behind the attacker, bad things can happen to your knee as they fall on to it. I originally was taught a side horse stance but have switched to a froward stance for the knee strike and safety.

respectfully,
Marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
#14 i jump to the right and kick to the plexus. I was taught the step back block the jump with a front kick to the heart and a back kick to an invisible ninja behind me. the back kick adds to a certain stability with the kick but...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, the footwork makes sense, that's how I use to do it as well. The blocking is a bit confusing however. I'm not quite able to picture what's happening there.

yeah I screwed that up to.

right foot to 1030 with left inward block / right outward
left foot steps behind atacker with left ridgehand to front of throat & punch to kidney.

man what was I on that day? oh yeah, benadryl.

I much prefer our #16, which I am pretty sure is not found in other versions

starts with same twist stance / inward block / outward block as #15
right hand maintains contact pushing arm down, left hand returns to check arm down, rght arm circles overhead as
step left to 12, unwinding, with right downward hammer to bridge of nose (or other more specific targets, depending on...)

I call it "the blender" but not as in harmonizing like aikido; more like a kitchen appliance :)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
#14 i jump to the right and kick to the plexus. I was taught the step back block the jump with a front kick to the heart and a back kick to an invisible ninja behind me. the back kick adds to a certain stability with the kick but...

we don't do any of that jump kicking / scissor kick stuff. Our 14 is totally different.

Jumping scissor kicks didn't fit our philosophy of "self defense for normal people". And it certainly doesn't seem very practical, or consistent with other branches of kempo... Cerio's TKD influence?

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
we don't do any of that jump kicking / scissor kick stuff. Our 14 is totally different.

Jumping scissor kicks didn't fit our philosophy of "self defense for normal people". And it certainly doesn't seem very practical, or consistent with other branches of kempo... Cerio's TKD influence?

it could be, but it is what we have. it can be very surprising and it is good athletic training within the curricullum. then again i have never done a scissor kick during reaction drills or situation dilemma drills...

marlon

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score

More likely Pesare's TKD influence.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
#14 (sans block, emphasis on the front kick) is well suited to avoiding and countering a sweep, I use it in sparring all the time.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
# 14
step right to 4:00 r/crossing palm block with a lifting l/wrist block...l/snap kick to the forward knee...r/front kick to whatever target is open (depending on which foot stepped in) step back down and follow with another kick to the mid-body...again depending on which foot stepped in...if their right foot, then the second kick is to the groin & the last to the heart/face...If their left foot lunged in...the second kick is to the body and the third kick may or may not come into play depending on their reaction to the second kick....

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Combination #15
  • Step with left foot to 1100, left hand chop block, right hand driving shuto to the face.
  • Left hand ridge hand to the back of the neck.
  • Left hand continues to snake around to the throat as you shuffle behind the opponent.
  • Pull opponent onto the left knee, using a right dragon fist to the kidney area or lower back as an assist, if needed.
  • Right palm strike to the nose.
  • Right rake to the face.
  • Right downward elbow to the face.
  • Right hammer strike to the solar plexus
  • Double downward shutos or palm strikes as you pull your leg out, driving them to the ground.
Same as Mr. Dwire on the variation, simply throw them to the ground, rather than pulling them down onto your knee.

15 i use a dragon stance stpping forward towards 11:30 with a right open hand block above the elbow. The dragon stance i use not only for escape but also to involve the hips in the brace/push/block. b/c this will turn the attacker away from you and eliminate many of thier weapons. also if you enter this way and the punch happenn to be lefty who still can turn them and position them disadvantageously. turning them minimizes the movement you need to make in order to be behind them then the ridge hand throat essentially pulls them backwards where they cannot brace so minimal resistance. it is a good technique to help us learn the skills to get where skk likes to fight best...beside and behind the attacker

respectfully,
marlon

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am surprised and happy to tell you that we do this technqiue almost exactly the same way :)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you admitting in a public forum that you have lowered yourself to our standards ... LOL

awww, did I ever say there was a lower/higher :( ?? sorry if I did, I don't really think of it that way.

Geary never got past green, so, some gaps had to be filled in. Mostly with stuff he got from Lou Angel, or NCK videos hahaha

the techs are just drills... the style is abstract. Chow never taught the same tech twice, yet, did he have a "style"? We simplify, stream-line, test, discard, add, etc we're not bound by traditions, we're benfitting and learning from them.

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
awww, did I ever say there was a lower/higher :( ?? sorry if I did, I don't really think of it that way.

Geary never got past green, so, some gaps had to be filled in. Mostly with stuff he got from Lou Angel, or NCK videos hahaha

the techs are just drills... the style is abstract. Chow never taught the same tech twice, yet, did he have a "style"? We simplify, stream-line, test, discard, add, etc we're not bound by traditions, we're benfitting and learning from them.

I was just joking around, David. No worries here. Our kempo art is evolving as well as are most around the country. Our influence comes from kung fu. I can tell you all, that at least here on the West Coast, we were being told that we were learning kung fu, and that was far, far from the truth. Once I actually saw and worked with someone experienced in kung fu, and watched them perform the original 26 combinations, my jaw dropped. Recognizable, but different.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting, but that does contradict everyone else I've ever read who wrote about how Chow taught...

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting, but that does contradict everyone else I've ever read who wrote about how Chow taught...

Chow taught for around 50+ years. And he made changes, innovations, style name changes, etc over the years. So it's very possible that students were taught different things at different points of Chow's teaching career.
I was told by some who trained with him in the 50's that "he very seldom taught the same thing twice". One of these people was Ralph Castro. In fact Castro made it a point to write down what Chow taught each day, because he didn't think Chow would teach the same technique any time soon. He later took those written techniques and formulated his "Shaolin Kenpo" system.
People who trained with Chow in the 40's like Adriano Emperado, said Chow basically followed the Mitose kenpo jiu jutsu curriculum, with some judo added.
If you look at the Kenpo techniques in Kajukenbo, Shaolin Kenpo, Goshin Jitsu Kai Kenpo, and Kara-ho Kempo, you'll see differences reflecting the time periods Emperado, Castro, Chun, and Kuoha trained with Chow.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Chow taught for around 50+ years. And he made changes, innovations, style name changes, etc over the years. So it's very possible that students were taught different things at different points of Chow's teaching career.
I was told by some who trained with him in the 50's that "he very seldom taught the same thing twice". One of these people was Ralph Castro. In fact Castro made it a point to write down what Chow taught each day, because he didn't think Chow would teach the same technique any time soon. He later took those written techniques and formulated his "Shaolin Kenpo" system.
People who trained with Chow in the 40's like Adriano Emperado, said Chow basically followed the Mitose kenpo jiu jutsu curriculum, with some judo added.
If you look at the Kenpo techniques in Kajukenbo, Shaolin Kenpo, Goshin Jitsu Kai Kenpo, and Kara-ho Kempo, you'll see differences reflecting the time periods Emperado, Castro, Chun, and Kuoha trained with Chow.

I suppose if you teach for half a century you may mix things up a bit from time to time. ;)

Latest Discussions