SKK Combinations: Concepts

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
3, 2, 10, 11,17, 19, 20, 22...all have an important sk concept. hit them with your body then hit them with the ground. As a basically stand up art we sure like to hit people while they are down and most of the time we do not go to the ground with them.

respectfully,
marlon

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
i also have it in many of the kempo / animal techniques but not in the combinations, which i found curious as it was taught to me as something central to kempo.

marlon

Just a thought to ponder.. a lot of the Combo's are outward blocks and a lot of the kempo's are inward blocks
Combo's came first (said to be based off of boxing strikes, hooks and overhands)
Kempo's second - after the initiation of the step through straight punch..
hmmmmmmmm
All of my combo's that have the outward block we now attack with the hook or overhand.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to agree with those who posit that two hands on the throat from behind is very bad news for the *chokee*. I, too, would classify it as far closer to dangerous than uncomfortable. At the very least, one could slam the chokee's head to the ground, where any manner of techs (as full weight and gravity behind a forearm; or, just am old-fashioned stomp) could be used to crush the cartilages of the larynx.

I was writing only about the specific ability to close off the windpipe. Slamming the head to the ground is a whole different matter ;)

or worse maybe, grinding the fingers into stomach 8 & 9, you'll wish for unconcisouness.

Hwo many people disagreeing with me actually has someone's hands on your throat this last week? maybe my neck is just fat LOL

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was writing only about the specific ability to close off the windpipe. Slamming the head to the ground is a whole different matter ;)

or worse maybe, grinding the fingers into stomach 8 & 9, you'll wish for unconcisouness.

Hwo many people disagreeing with me actually has someone's hands on your throat this last week? maybe my neck is just fat LOL

I do not think i have disagreed with you but for sake of arguement i will. I have had my hands on someones neck this week and vice versa. It hurt, i gasped, and my entire neck was swollen by the time we were done with the training. It is a collapsing grab, but i truly am not sure if i wouldve lost consciousness-- Jdokan - when we get together you have permission to choke me out -- "out" is only a figure of speach though..

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just a thought to ponder.. a lot of the Combo's our outward blocks and a lot of the kempo's are inward blocks
Combo's came first (said to be based off of boxing strikes, hooks and overhands)
hmmmmmmmm
All of my combo's that have the outward block we now attack with the hook or overhand.

Let's list the first 26, as I know them ...

Outward (13): 1, 8, 9, 10, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26
Inward (6): 2, 3, 5, 11, 13, 16
Upward (2): 4, 15
Downward (2): 24, 25
No Block (3): 6, 7, 12

Mostly outward blocks, but balanced between outward and others. Most kempo techniques are variations/modifications of combinations.

Here's something else to think about, of the 13 outward blocks listed above, 12 are moving to the inside, 1 to the outside. Of the inward blocks, 2 are moving to the inside, 4 are moving to the outside.

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Maybe not, I don't know, haven't tried it. I just have to think that I would have enough grip strenth to cause some serious damage. Are we talking about simply squeezing flat fingered, or can we as humans use our fingers and opposable thumbs to squeeze and crush?

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's list the first 26, as I know them ...

Outward (13): 1, 8, 9, 10, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26
Inward (6): 2, 3, 5, 11, 13, 16
Upward (2): 4, 15
Downward (2): 24, 25
No Block (3): 6, 7, 12

The only thing I would say on this, combo's 2 and 5 are on the inside of the strike with those inward blocks which brings to the the case of an overhand/hook at least for #2.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe not, I don't know, haven't tried it. I just have to think that I would have enough grip strenth to cause some serious damage. Are we talking about simply squeezing flat fingered, or can we as humans use our fingers and opposable thumbs to squeeze and crush?

I'm not sure what yo umean by flat-fingered, just what you would think if you told someone "grab my neck form behind and squeeze". if their hands are big relative to your neck they cna get their fingers on your trach and makeit hurt. Can it be damaged? Well I've never taken it that far but I've been told, no, it cannot. Mine isn't damaged yet, and I had mroe than a few people try it out lately. I've been in much worse guillotine chokes, where I had to tap IMMEDIATELY.

Now, digging the fingers (claws) into nervs on the sides of the trachea is really much much more painful.

anyway,I forget why this even came up LOL, back to the regularly scheduled topic :)

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a thought to ponder.. a lot of the Combo's are outward blocks and a lot of the kempo's are inward blocks
hmmmmmmmm

against a right hook use your combo's that block inwards (that is moving to the outside of the attacker like combo #6 for example!!.. :) ), lefty and the opposite of course. it often works well

marlon

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
against a right hook use your combo's that block inwards (that is moving to the outside of the attacker like combo #6 for example!!.. :) ), lefty and the opposite of course. it often works well

marlon

I attack combo #6 straight on. I hear what your saying but working a right hook with an inward block is just not meshing well with my brain. First a good inward block happens above the elbow and if they are hooking the strike it is getting a little to close to my comfort zone if you ask me.

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only thing I would say on this, combo's 2 and 5 are on the inside of the strike with those inward blocks which brings to the the case of an overhand/hook at least for #2.

Agreed ... and #5, as well, at least in its original form, works best against a hook, using the x-block.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I attack combo #6 straight on. I hear what your saying but working a right hook with an inward block is just not meshing well with my brain. First a good inward block happens above the elbow and if they are hooking the strike it is getting a little to close to my comfort zone if you ask me.

hmmm i usually teach blocking as inside wrist outside elbow. we have some interesting differences...

marlon

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do not think i have disagreed with you but for sake of arguement i will. I have had my hands on someones neck this week and vice versa. It hurt, i gasped, and my entire neck was swollen by the time we were done with the training. It is a collapsing grab, but i truly am not sure if i wouldve lost consciousness-- Jdokan - when we get together you have permission to choke me out -- "out" is only a figure of speach though..

Any word on the "get together"?

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe not, I don't know, haven't tried it. I just have to think that I would have enough grip strenth to cause some serious damage. Are we talking about simply squeezing flat fingered, or can we as humans use our fingers and opposable thumbs to squeeze and crush?[/quote]

NOW THAT"S WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT.........gotta love this guy......

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score

marlon

I think the inward / outward is not as relevant as where you move to when considering the path of the punch.

that is, it is easier to move inside a hooking or roundhouse, easier to move outside a straight punch.

once you have that, then it is no big deal to do either block - from inside a right roundhouse I can block inward with my right or outward with my left; from outside a right cross I can block inward w/left or outward w/right.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
hmmm i usually teach blocking as inside wrist outside elbow. we have some interesting differences...

marlon

I think we are talking about the same thing just not meshing. A block to the outside of the arm is elbow up and inside the arm is elbow down.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Any word on the "get together"?

Yeah, the baby is 3 weeks old today and besides that and making sure the school stays afloat in the summer i have not even thought about it. But,,, a quick convo with matt and we thought the first should be down in the cape at Master Hatch's school.. he does not know that yet,, but i know he will be excited if we do.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think we are talking about the same thing just not meshing. A block to the outside of the arm is elbow up and inside the arm is elbow down.

ah. i misunderstood your original post then...my apologies, Jesse.
Meeting at master Hatches dojo sounds great,. It would be good to see him again also and to get some hands and feet on training with all of you!

marlon