SKK Combinations: Concepts

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
David?????

LOL! Someone had a rough Saturday night and is in desperate need of coffee or more sleep.
icon10.gif

oops!! scuzzii senior!!! more sleep i think

:)

respectfully,
Marlon

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
The fingertips CAN apply carotid (sp?) artery pressure that will have you go to sleep...Additionally, you can do severe damage to the throat/larinyx...Try it!

Although you're right here, remember that a great deal of people will automatically react to someone putting their hand on them from behind. I have the same technique for the same scenario that you have, which is why it will work. However, for a grab on both shoulders, I don't see it working as well. Seems there would be too much space inbetween the arms for the technique to work. Just my .02

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Although you're right here, remember that a great deal of people will automatically react to someone putting their hand on them from behind. I have the same technique for the same scenario that you have, which is why it will work. However, for a grab on both shoulders, I don't see it working as well. Seems there would be too much space inbetween the arms for the technique to work. Just my .02

I agree...I have a similar technique as listed for the shoulders grab....Starts out pretty much the same but as you turn strike with the outside edge of the wing to the head...continue to circle trapping a single arm (lower by the wrist) then using the other arm (either #3 or 4 block depending which way you stepped back) break the arm...taking that breaking arm and strike the throat, bending the opponenet over backwards, rising knee to the back, followed by the other arm striking the chest with a hammerfist-driving them to the ground.....
Simple but effective..

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The fingertips CAN apply carotid (sp?) artery pressure that will have you go to sleep...

technically, that's a strangle, and the 3 people I had try it couldn't get consistent enough pressure to put me out.

Additionally, you can do severe damage to the throat/larinyx...Try it!
it feels like it, like I said it's very uncomfortable, but I don't believe you can really damage it. I had my partners squeeze pretty hard.... I'm not sure they could have squeezed any harder.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score

if you step back deep enough, hip to belly, both arms lock up nicely. if you don't get deep enough, you wrap below the elbows, not so good.

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
technically, that's a strangle, and the 3 people I had try it couldn't get consistent enough pressure to put me out.

it feels like it, like I said it's very uncomfortable, but I don't believe you can really damage it. I had my partners squeeze pretty hard.... I'm not sure they could have squeezed any harder.

I don't know David, next time you're in SoCal, stop on by, I'd like to try to choke you, just to see if you're correct. I can't find anybody around here that will voluteer to have me try
icon7.gif
Are you willing to sign a release, just in case?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know David, next time you're in SoCal, stop on by, I'd like to try to choke you, just to see if you're correct. I can't find anybody around here that will voluteer to have me try
icon7.gif
Are you willing to sign a release, just in case?

it is much easier to find chokers than chokees

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree...I have a similar technique as listed for the shoulders grab....Starts out pretty much the same but as you turn strike with the outside edge of the wing to the head...continue to circle trapping a single arm (lower by the wrist) then using the other arm (either #3 or 4 block depending which way you stepped back) break the arm...taking that breaking arm and strike the throat, bending the opponenet over backwards, rising knee to the back, followed by the other arm striking the chest with a hammerfist-driving them to the ground.....
Simple but effective..

I have a siliar tech. too. Lots of good stuff in there....

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about the "technically" part...IMO anytime somebody has their hands on my throat it's a choke...whether they're restricting my airway or the bloodflow to the brain the end result is the same....I'm not very happy...I can't validate the 3 people...maybe they aren't mean enough, maybe they were being nice to you...who knows but because you've had 3 people try and not be successful doesn't change the merit of a blood choke....

Like the song says:" please come to Boston..." Put your throat in my hands...you'll feel more than uncomfortable....Here again as with my previous statement...maybe the wrong people....The throat is an area that you can't "practice on"...there has to be an acceptable understanding of potential damage to soft tissues.....I have had a persons hands on my throat and it was more than uncomfortable, I thought my time had come....When I think if uncomfortable I think of my *** after a 3->4 hour on my bike.....not somebody's hands around my neck....IMO of course....

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with those who posit that two hands on the throat from behind is very bad news for the *chokee*. I, too, would classify it as far closer to dangerous than uncomfortable. At the very least, one could slam the chokee's head to the ground, where any manner of techs (as full weight and gravity behind a forearm; or, just am old-fashioned stomp) could be used to crush the cartilages of the larynx.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
since Matt is holding up his threat i thought i would bring up combination #6: The double block i learned with this combo as a beginner that is usually dropped later was once described to me as a fundemental characteristic of kempo along with hammer strikes. The double block also called a sun and moon block is not really found in many combinations. In the pinans yes but they are not distictive to kempo, not so much in the kata's either. So, although a very distinguished kempo master said this and to be sure in his Hawaiian kempo it is much more prevalent i do not see it much in the forms and combinations of kempo. Do others have it as an essential part of kempo...? is it prevelant in kajukenbo? Is it taught outside of the combinations and forms regularly?

Respectfully,
Marlon

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
since Matt is holding up his threat i thought i would bring up combination #6: The double block i learned with this combo as a beginner that is usually dropped later was once described to me as a fundemental characteristic of kempo along with hammer strikes. The double block also called a sun and moon block is not really found in many combinations. In the pinans yes but they are not distictive to kempo, not so much in the kata's either. So, although a very distinguished kempo master said this and to be sure in his Hawaiian kempo it is much more prevalent i do not see it much in the forms and combinations of kempo. Do others have it as an essential part of kempo...? is it prevelant in kajukenbo? Is it taught outside of the combinations and forms regularly?

Respectfully,
Marlon

Sorry Marlin, I think it is that I haven't heard your terminology. Can you explain the block further. We use cross blocks, fan blocks, fartress blocks ... many blocks that could be considered double blocks. Like I said, it just may be a terminology thing.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Marlin, I think it is that I haven't heard your terminology. Can you explain the block further. We use cross blocks, fan blocks, fartress blocks ... many blocks that could be considered double blocks. Like I said, it just may be a terminology thing.

fartess!!! that's hilarious!!!
the double block is also called a windmill block. combo six is first taught with block 4 then block 1...i think it is like the fan block but closed fisted instead of open hand

respectfully,
Marlon

OP
14 Kempo

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
fartess!!! that's hilarious!!!
the double block is also called a windmill block. combo six is first taught with block 4 then block 1...i think it is like the fan block but closed fisted instead of open hand

respectfully,
Marlon

Yeah, that is funny ... LOL ... it was a typo that worked out well.

Iron-fortress blocking sounds somewhat similar, however, what you mention sounds like what some call 'cross-blocking'

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score

Respectfully,
Marlon

Nick Cerio made extensive use of the double parry, but no, it doesn't show up that much in the combinations. I do use it quite a bit due to Prof. Kimo, but that's just me. Thanks for keeping the combination #6 presence going.

Matt

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nick Cerio made extensive use of the double parry, but no, it doesn't show up that much in the combinations. I do use it quite a bit due to Prof. Kimo, but that's just me. Thanks for keeping the combination #6 presence going.

Matt

ahhh, i use to have this double block in Combo #7 - but it turned into the dragon block (windmill with grab) I have it in quite a few of my Kempo Punch techniques.
Jesse

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i also have it in many of the kempo / animal techniques but not in the combinations, which i found curious as it was taught to me as something central to kempo.

marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Matt

Well some one had to... :)

do you see this double movement as a concept of kempo or just another block?

marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is up to our generation to make SKK the way we want it. Bringing in the educated concepts and ideas are great but so are some of the techniques we teach. Hit them low they bend/ hit them high they fall back/ take out there base they fall down -- follow up each with brutality.[/quote]

i love this post Jesse

marlon

Latest Discussions