SKH/Quest/Toshindo/Shadows of Iga: Eclectic art forms?

Phipps

White Belt
Reaction score
Although I am sure that my post will have no effect on this thread here we go.

Well I am not sure that it is necessary when evolving for a style to grab techniques from different styles. From what limited Toshindo that I have seen I do not see it as such. I must however emphasize that my experience in Toshindo is very limited. If it is necessary for a martial art to be eclectic to exist then how did the martial arts begin in the first place? That is flawed logic, because they would have no one to copy from and therefore unless the martial arts “just existed” this is not possible. No disputing the fact that the possibility doesn’t exist that a martial art can be eclectic however it does not “have” to be eclectic.

Is a style the same as at its origin, sure if the style has only been around for 3 years. When you get in the 1000’s of years the odds of that go down drastically. Once again this could be because of insights that were gained through experience and not necessarily because someone decided to take the techniques of another. Just because one wants to learn how to fight against a boxer doesn’t mean that he has to fight like a boxer however if he wants to survive he better have an effective defense.

(From what I have read about evolution predators and prey don’t copy each other but develop to survive. I am however by no means expert on the subject.)

Anton Phipps

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sojobow said:
One good thing however, is that the members here that I think actually KNOW, haven't replied which usually implies that they agree but wish not to hurt their constituant's egos (the usual MO).

So, you are trying to say that because nobody will come forward and agree with you, that the guys who KNOW are of the same opnion?

Man, that is stretching it further than I think I have ever seen it stretched before.

And commuter as probably talking about how Hayes does things like armored assailent training, or evolved a few things his own way. NOT taking something from other arts like BJJ and hapkido like you are pushing.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
And commuter as probably talking about how Hayes does things like armored assailent training, or evolved a few things his own way. NOT taking something from other arts like BJJ and hapkido like you are pushing.

It should also be mentioned that Hayes directly criticizes this approach to martial arts in his books. I believe the term he uses is "patchwork quilt" martial arts.

DuckofDeath

Orange Belt
Reaction score
sojobow banned again? What did he do this time? I'm in a real funk; good twaddle is hard to come by.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DuckofDeath said:
sojobow banned again? What did he do this time? I'm in a real funk; good twaddle is hard to come by.
Well, lets focus on moving forward and having some good discussions rather than looking for someone to bash.