Site Sluggishness 2/27/2007

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're in the middle of a unintentional denial of services attack from Yahoo. They are flooding the server with requests overwhelming our ability to reply. I am attempting to correct this situation and block or limit their overly aggressive indexing of the site, but it will take some time to work.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up..I thought it was on my end...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yahoos a bit annoying in that they throw hundreds of bots at you. We had 500 hit 90 minutes ago. I've blocked 2 hugh sets of IP's from Yahoo, bringing things back under control. It hurts our search engine rankings, but the SER doesn't pay the bills here.

Hopefully this will stop the current situation and give the limits I installed for these bots a chance to work through the system.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe. Yahoo Gone Wild, next PPV?

Seriously, they aren't supposed to hammer a site like this. I get 2-3 google, msn, bots at a time, yahoo sends the entire 3rd army out in force.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe. Yahoo Gone Wild, next PPV?

Seriously, they aren't supposed to hammer a site like this. I get 2-3 google, msn, bots at a time, yahoo sends the entire 3rd army out in force.

Seriously, though. Do you think yahoo might be having a problem? I absolutely cannot log into my e-mail there at the moment (get an "Internet Exp. cannot display" message).

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering what was going on. I tried to get on here earlier, but it seemed to just time out. I thought it was my crappy computer- I have high speed internet-, but then I got on another place just fine. Now things seem to be good. Thanks for the heads up, Bob!

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, Bob...

Probably the same issue over on KT, eh?

I just checked who's online over there... and there are no less than a dozen Yahoo! slurp spiders running around on KT...

That's probably why I keep getting no-contact screens popping up... and have to refresh a few times to get the page up...

Thanks again! And, GOOD WORK!

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, a dozens not bad. 500 however is. MT and KT are on 2 different servers so they don't directly effect each other.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yahoos a bit annoying in that they throw hundreds of bots at you. We had 500 hit 90 minutes ago. I've blocked 2 hugh sets of IP's from Yahoo, bringing things back under control. It hurts our search engine rankings, but the SER doesn't pay the bills here.

Hopefully this will stop the current situation and give the limits I installed for these bots a chance to work through the system.

That's awesome, Bob. That's exactly what I would have done. :boing1:

Now, will there be an English translation forthcoming for what you just said? :idunno:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Search engines like Yahoo use automated programs, balled spiders or bots to wander around the internet, read everything and create the stuff we search through when we go to their sites.

This site is setup to handle say 300 people at a time.
Each bot is a person as far as the site is concerned. Too many people, things get slow, eventually grind to a halt. Like rush hour traffic.

So, I blocked the on-ramps from Yahoo.

Now Yahoo can't read us.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice to understand why it was that I've been having trouble getting MT to come over for a visit recently :D. I too thought that it was either the flakey 'puter I was using or that MT's server was having a headache. I'm happy that it was a solvable problem :tup:.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Search engines like Yahoo use automated programs, balled spiders or bots to wander around the internet, read everything and create the stuff we search through when we go to their sites.

This site is setup to handle say 300 people at a time.
Each bot is a person as far as the site is concerned. Too many people, things get slow, eventually grind to a halt. Like rush hour traffic.

So, I blocked the on-ramps from Yahoo.

Now Yahoo can't read us.
Wow!

I didn't know that techies could actually speak English and explain things in a way I can understand! I'm used to just nodding along somewhere after the third word until I can make a graceful (or graceless!) exit!

I don't know which is the greater accomplishment... Managing a site that works as well as MT, or being able to translate computerese into "real" English!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ROFL!

I actually once had cards that read "Geek to English Translator" made. :D
Thank you :)

curious

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think I know what going on with Yahoo- a computer virus is going around called weebs something. All day yesterday I tried getting on the internet or check my emails- all I got was a warning from my Norton Security program. My program tried like twenty times to get rid of the virus, it wasn't even opened on my part. I had problems just logging on then finally last night I finally got on about 12 a.m., I figured problem solved; tried to post a reply on MT (spent an hour and a half composing) when everything froze. I thought it was me!!!!!!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob - I'm glad you know what you're doing, because if it was up to me, I'd just start kicking computers until they started working....

My system administrator at work had to put my computer on my desk because everytime it doesn't work, I kick it. :)

Latest Discussions