Sir and Ma'am

Jedmus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am from the UK and have always called seniors and juniors Sir or Ma'am and been referred to as such in Martial Arts classes. I see this is a sign of respect for each other and not sarcasm in any way. Outside of class I will still call my Instructor and Senior Grades Sir or Ma'am

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I am from the UK and have always called seniors and juniors Sir or Ma'am and been referred to as such in Martial Arts classes. I see this is a sign of respect for each other and not sarcasm in any way. Outside of class I will still call my Instructor and Senior Grades Sir or Ma'am
Can't be true. Tez3 speaks for the UK around here and you contradict her at your peril. :)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was thinking about this today... I've definitely heard some very dodgy Korean pronunciation from people whose, like, teacher's teacher's teacher's teacher was Korean. I remember one kid, we'd count to 8 in Korean while stretching, and he'd confidently shout out "Hannah! Door! etc etc, etc, Eagle! Yellow!". :facepalm:

I.
Wait till you hear a Texan say "I Hope. Ya all " for 9 & 10 or Chom Bee

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's very unusual, very few Brits use sir or ma'am unless they are military, it's just not the custom, I suspect you've had instructors who have learnt from non Brits.

Latest Discussions