Silat practice in Trieste, Italy!

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well i do bagua an can tell you all those are the techniques used in the school i studied at look almost exactly alike except a lot of time bagua does not roll with the throw they often remain standing an they do not take the person to were they are completely laying down on the ground.

So, does Bagua come from Silat or what?

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nobody said:
Well i do bagua an can tell you all those are the techniques used in the school i studied at look almost exactly alike except a lot of time bagua does not roll with the throw they often remain standing an they do not take the person to were they are completely laying down on the ground.

That totally came across wrong, well here we go i will explain that there are three level to the stance in bagua an the lowest one is to do some what like the Silat is doing. In the school i studied at we would start from the highest stance an work down work to he lowest basin stance. Highest basin is more likened to how stand up throws are done, middle basin is likened to using the body weight to throw them to the ground an the lowest basin refers to ground fighting an throw that seem to contain completion techs that are faster to the finish i find.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
That totally came across wrong, well here we go i will explain that there are three level to the stance in bagua an the lowest one is to do some what like the Silat is doing. In the school i studied at we would start from the highest stance an work down work to he lowest basin stance. Highest basin is more likened to how stand up throws are done, middle basin is likened to using the body weight to throw them to the ground an the lowest basin refers to ground fighting an throw that seem to contain completion techs that are faster to the finish i find.

That's interesting, Nobody. I'd like to pursue that--sounds like it has great potential for my own practice. Can any Silat people tell me if I'll find anything similar in going through the Bob Orando DVDs which I just got? (The IV Vol, Fighting Footwork series). Thanks.

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Carol,

Thank you for sharing those clips. They are the closest Silat I've seen to the training I took with Tristan Sutrisno in his family Silat Tjimande years ago. This was when I lived in Northeastern Penna several decades ago.

My training was mostly on the basic side of things, but each of the entries and controls were in the vocabulary he taught me and my students.

His art is a combination of his fathers study with Funakoshi Ginchin (Shotokan) and Aikido in Japan in the 1930's as well as his uncle's tradition in Tjimande.

He would practice the grounding finishes the way they're demonstrated but my studies were not as grounded.

Of course there are many differences, but still these clips come closest to what I studied.

I still retain those studies in my advanced students training in part too.

Thank you,

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
derry, nh, usa

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hmmm yes tjimande or chimande has moved named after animals, and it is a low stance silat. kekuda is wide. study the art at school and got a cerificate and a selempang merah for it, hmmmm kinda like a belt in other art i guess.

Latest Discussions