Silat Gayong Malaysia

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had seen a demo video years ago that just gave a small sample of what the Silat Gayong group do for training. In a nutshell, all I can say is that it was really intimidating.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that Brian! I had the opportunity to meet a group of Silat Gayong practitioners at last years Int. MA Festival in Kuala Lampur. They were very nice and very skilled.

Franco

Reaction score
The Silat styles I've trained were Indonesian but the moves are very similar. Nice vid btw (though my slow internet speed meant it took me forever to load), thanks for sharing. Would be nice to see a free sparring video (hint, hint). :)

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Would be nice to see a free sparring video (hint, hint). :)
From what I had seen, their free sparring is similar to what they've shown on shows like Fight Quest, but WITHOUT the chest protector or other protective gear. Now I should mention that the video I saw was a fairly old one, but given the group's reputation, I doubt much has changed.

We had sort of a rough "introductory sampler" from one of their representatives, and I can say that the training is pretty brutal. As I recall, I think they stress the importance of control because they don't (and I want to reiterate that this was a very short period of exposure to this art) seem to have a concept for tapping out.

I know they did release a book not too long ago.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Trained with them in Malaysia a bit and they were real nice and trained hard. I also trained with sulaiman here in the US when he was here. Good group.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I knew sulaiman for a long time so I was treated wonderfully. Got to work with a diverse group of teachers as well. I was moving through the region so I got to learn from a lot of great teachers in many different styles of silat. I went twice actually. I enjoyed it both times, it was grueling but its standard for the way I train and teach.

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I knew sulaiman for a long time so I was treated wonderfully. Got to work with a diverse group of teachers as well. I was moving through the region so I got to learn from a lot of great teachers in many different styles of silat. I went twice actually. I enjoyed it both times, it was grueling but its standard for the way I train and teach.
I totally agree with you on that. I had very limited contact with them (they were here on a visit) and the "intro" lessons I received in Gayong were from the person they were visiting.

That said, the exercises alone were very demanding, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't help influence how I view my training intensity.

Latest Discussions