sila-silat-southern thailand

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was in Hat Yai in Southern Thailand in December. It was fine, no worries there for us. I actually liked it far better than the touristy places in the rest of the South. Far more real people around these parts.

If you would like to discuss the area with a "local" then PM member CWK who frequents the Wing Chun forum. Sure he will be happy to help and offer advice.

Not sure about the chop suey questions, I'm just a bad wing chun guy Im afraid.

Enjoy and good luck.

Last edited:

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hat Yai is not Yala. I have been to Hat yai many times. The village of the keris is in Yala, southern thailand far deeper into Muslim territory. I didnt have a problems going through the south straight into malaysia but one should take care when moving through the deeper south. Of course the south includes the beach areas where tourists are and many go to Hat Yai etc. The focus of the keris culture is deeper south.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt say it was. I stated where I had been and that someone lives in the area and may know more.

Ok with you?

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was simply stating that hat yai is not the same as the deeper south, which is what the thread is about, sila/silat in the south. I personally didnt see any Sila/Silat in Hat Yai and my friend instructs there and we looked high and low. Doesnt mean its not there of course. Did you see or experience Sila/Silat in Hat Yai? If your friends lives in the deeper south and can help with those who want to travel and study sila/silat then they and i would love to hear it or they can contact him. I just wanted to be clear for those traveling that hat yai is a different from yala etc. There are people who travel through the deeper south as well without incident so their opinon of course would reflect that.

Secondly, bully, a board is where opinions are expressed and it doesnt have to be ok with me or any other person unless it runs afoul with the forum standards or the numerous well equipped moderators.

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with this, although I have never been in Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat which are the most dangerous regions I have been in the Muslim south in places like Sadao onm the wasy to Malaysia, and each time I told Thais I was going htere they told me to take care. Also on the way there I could see the big difference with Hat Yai and its people, sometimes it didn't feel like Thailand at all.
My teacher is in Hat Yai, I have been there many times and I never heard about or seen keris or people who knew the art.

Also there is no need of that tone bully, what's the use of that it doesn't help and it's disrespectful.

I was simply stating that hat yai is not the same as the deeper south, which is what the thread is about, sila/silat in the south. I personally didnt see any Sila/Silat in Hat Yai and my friend instructs there and we looked high and low. Doesnt mean its not there of course. Did you see or experience Sila/Silat in Hat Yai? If your friends lives in the deeper south and can help with those who want to travel and study sila/silat then they and i would love to hear it or they can contact him. I just wanted to be clear for those traveling that hat yai is a different from yala etc. There are people who travel through the deeper south as well without incident so their opinon of course would reflect that.

Secondly, bully, a board is where opinions are expressed and it doesnt have to be ok with me or any other person unless it runs afoul with the forum standards or the numerous well equipped moderators.

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
good stuff fede thanks for that
my family lives in thailand and i go back and forth
BDC knows his stuff -he is always dead on and helpful
i thik he was just tryin to show that hat yai is different from muslimsinthe other places and the dude sort ofjust got ittwisted out of shape

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes there is a big difference between Hat Yai and the deep south, even the language changes at some point it's not a dialect anymore I think it's another language, maybe Malay or a Malay dialect. Also people's clothes, the food are different.
BDC always helps as you said and shares tremendous information, when he is asked about a topic you sometimes get more info than what was originally sought!

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In fact I have edited what I put as i cant be bothered to argue on the internet. If you have a problem BDC and others let the mods know.

For that reason I am out.

Last edited:

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Up until about a week ago, I didn't know of any sila in hat Yai but by pure coincidence, I was introduced to a silat master whose nick nickname is Muy. He's a very nice guy and we hit it off and started chatting about martial arts and stuff. Anyway it turns out he's just moved to hat yai from somewhere further down south like Yala or Pattani.
My northern kung fu sifu who introduced us said that he's the real deal and so I'm going round to his house tonight for a taste of what he's got to offer and will probably start training with him if I like it.
I can't say much at the moment as I know very little about the style and haven't even seen it yet but I'll post again tomorrow with my findings.

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the info
check it out and see if its for you some peeps dont like silat some do.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I went round to khun Muy's house last night.
He gave me a taste of 3 different things that he can teach so that I could decide if I wanted to train any of them or not.
The first was penjak silat (sp?), the second Thai Yuth ( which is ancient muay thai and krabi krabong ) and the third a style called Silat Sinee (sp?).
I decided to start training with him in the Thai Yuth and silat sinee as they seemed to me to be softer, more flowing and more compact than the Penjak silat and thus more suited to my way of fighting.
I've practiced a lot of different martial arts over the years and I've been lucky enough to meet a lot of of what I would call "real deal masters" of various styles. One thing that has always stood out for me is the body movement of these masters. An instinctive, relaxed and natural way of moving that I recognize in them regardless of style/system. Whenever I meet a martial artist I look for this quality and I wasn't disappointed with last night's meeting.
Anyway, looking forward to starting a new chapter in my MA odyssey and hopefully make some new online friends on this forum. If anyone's traveling through Hat Yai, it'd be cool to meet up for a beer and a chat.

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
cool
my cuz did thaiyuth for about ten years, kinda cool but more of a new hybrid sort of thing

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
cool
my cuz did thaiyuth for about ten years, kinda cool but more of a new hybrid sort of thing

I don't much about it to be honest mate, but what I saw seemed very practical. It's the silat sinee that interests me the most.