Sifu Paul Fernandez - Importance of Structure

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
https://www.wingchunillustrated.com/2015/11/23/paul-fernandez-new-era-wing-chun/

Some interesting points on internal power, structure, the way the Chinese look at it and modern internal approach to be effective not needed.

“I hate this modern approach! It’s like they think they discovered the wheel again. Wing Chun was always an internal art. It’s when it was devised and marketed for the masses that the internal workings were removed. It’s a big problem, but since 1972, Sigung Chu Shong Tin has been teaching us Qigong with Wing Chun. He told us Ip Man taught him and that’s why he was called the “King of Siu Nim Tau”. Master Wong Shun Leung knew this—before he died, he was teaching us the internal workings of the Siu Nim Tau. So personally I get a little angry when I see this sold as a novelty. Internal work has existed in most martial arts for hundreds, if not thousands of years.”

“The Chinese are incredibly humble and respectful, and they work very hard for their technical progress. The Westerners are tough, arrogant and aggressive—they are worlds apart! Whereas the Chinese are very passive, they don’t see the world the way we do, so they have no need to do an art for fighting purposes—they literally do it as an art.”

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ha ha, I think he's greatly overgeneralised about both the arrogance and aggressiveness of Westerners, and the humility and respectfulness of the Chinese. I've seen the flip side of both pretty often.

Latest Discussions