Sifu Klaus Brand

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's not Sifu Maday. It's just some other hairy guy that looks like him. This is Norbert Maday:
sikung_madaynorbert.jpg

Ha! I could have swore that was Maday at 3:30-3:35 or so, but now after looking closer, it IS just another guy with long hair and goatee that looks a bit similar. Thanks.

IAW-UK-MH

White Belt
Reaction score
I trained under Sifu Klaus Brand for a few years from around student level 5 to 1st technician. His organisation is the IAW which I am no longer a member of IAW of despite my username here (which I cannot seem to change). I thought I may be well placed to clarify some of the comments here. He is generally referred to as Sifu, not Grand Master, and does not insist on crazy formality. There is another local 'master' with WT origins who insists his students make him cups of tea :). Maybe I'll do that one day. Anyway, it is a re-moulded form of WT, much more aggressive, and the videos are mainly training drills. IAW do give way to pressure if necessary, but you don't see it here, this is about attacking the attack as a form of defense as primary intent. It is very effective, and I can say from my own experience that free form street attacks from multiple opponents are dealt with quickly, effectively, and with some serious damage caused. We had a 2 year student jumped by two guys out on the street and he took them both out within seconds. There is reasoning behind all of his system, but you would have to train under him to understand it. You can't really pick that up from a video. But yes, he does scowl a lot when training. He also has great fun too.

My Sifu also has a WT background, moved away from WT for reasons I won't go into, found Sifu Klaus (who had also left WT), joined IAW, and broke away again (not for reasons of effectiveness). Most core principles from IAW still apply in our system. We are far more similar to IAW now than WT. There is more information, articles and videos from both IAW and our system at IAW-HQ.com and wingchun-uk.com.

Finally, I heard a story, but not sure how true it is, there was a big WT seminar somewhere and Sifu Klaus (while still part of WT) had already started to question some WT techniques. At the seminar he tested some of his modifications and destroyed many of the WT techniques with his changes. He was basically ask to leave the seminar as his techniques were not 'true' to traditional WT even though they seemed to be more effective. that may not be fully accurate, but something along those lines.

Last edited:

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Too funny. And worse, this guy is teaching down in Tucson! Better warn your Sifu that there's a WC Zombie loose in his town! --Steve
-------------------------------------------------------------
Who- me worry? Nah

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I trained under Sifu Klaus Brand for a few years from around student level 5 to 1st technician.... Anyway, it is a re-moulded form of WT, much more aggressive...

Some WT guys (Emin, Victor Gutierrez, "Fighterman" Fernandez, etc.) also have emphasized aggressiveness. Emin Boztepe's EBMAS is plenty aggressive but not rigid. Emin left WT, so he's free to do as he wishes, yet what he teaches is still very WT-like, emphasizing springy energy.

Although now independent, I came from a WT background and what I teach reflects that. A former EBMAS student (about student level 5-6) moved into town and joined my class and he fits right in. He has that typical EBMAS aggressiveness which, IMO is a positive thing. He definitely keeps his training partners alert! :)

By contrast,the Klaus Brand stuff in that video seems more rigid and looks to have bigger movements with more withdrawing of force when "winding-up" for a strike. Of course, it's hard to say from a video. Is this your experience too?

BTW welcome to Martial Talk! Great to have a fresh perspective contributing!

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
It goes against Wing Chun's principles but if you manage to clear the space and have the timing, and you've managed to back the guy up and stun him, winding up to really clock someone good isn't a bad idea in my book.

Latest Discussions