Side stance or squared up?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stance? "Stance" is just something I transition through as I'm fighting. Body posture, positioning, and footwork all alter with distance/measure, timing/tempo, weapons, and the position of the opponent(s).

Don't get hung up on "stance." Stance is nothing more than a starting position or something you transition through. Just learn to fight. The right "stance" will fill itself in as you gain experience.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which stance do you use or like most?
Do you like the side stance like traditional karate or taekwondo?
Or squared up like a boxer or krav maga(er)?
Or do u switch it up depending on situation?
Personally ill use side for most kicks and some front hand tech. Where i use squared for more hands, knees, and elbows.
Thoughts?
For me it doesn't matter. I use a basic fighting stance where a side stance is only inches away and I can switch back in forth between stances in less than a second or while moving. Depending on what is going on, my stance may be a hybrid.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do you feel there is a difference?

I'll give the short answer,,,it comes down to rule sets.
This was before MMA rules. The old kick boxing rules were, no contact to the back and no grappling so side stance gives an advantage.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which stance do you use or like most?
Do you like the side stance like traditional karate or taekwondo

Not to open up a can of worms, but I don't think the side stance is a "traditional karate" thing. I haven't seen people use it as a "fighting stance" (meaning not a transitional stance, but one you spend most time in) in schools/styles like Uechi Ryu, Goju Ryu, etc. I think it's more of a sport karate thing.

I'm no authority on this, just my guess. If you're from one of the "old school " systems and you and your fellow practicioners use it extensively, I'll take your word for it.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to stay square to my opponent whenever possible. I don't like having my rear side too far away, nor do I like to make it easier for someone to get my back. Part of it also has to do with keeping things consistent from unarmed to sword work. There are always exceptions, and of course one is always moving and transitioning, but it's a general principle to which I adhere.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will typically fight one foot forward. Mostly because I don't like to waste movement. Once I step forward I fight from the new stance. For me, a stance is just how you stand while you are not moving. Since I don't typically hop in a fight that means side on. Oh, and if you do notice a habitual tell, don't count on a new opponant to not pick it up.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like to use "cross stance" with my right foot forward but my left hand forward. It has the advantage of both "squared stance" and "side stance".

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to use "cross stance" with my right foot forward but my left hand forward. It has the advantage of both "squared stance" and "side stance".
How do you get power in your strikes? Anyway I attempt this makes me fight my own body mechanics, and also minimizes my reach.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you get power in your strikes? Anyway I attempt this makes me fight my own body mechanics, and also minimizes my reach.
The "cross stance" is commonly used by wrestlers. The idea is trying to have the same reach with both hands without staying in "squared stance".

From the striking art point of view, in the following clip, since

- your right hand is back, you will have more powerful right "jab".
- you stay in "side stance", you can still have longer reach on your right jab when your left back shoulder, right front shoulder, and right front hand make a straight line.

The only difference is the starting position of your right jab is farther away from your opponent and need to travel more distance.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I realize what your saying now. I've generally seen people do right (or left) foot distinctly forward, but having both hands the same amount 'out'. Might try it that way just for the fun of it during sparring tonight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The ammy boxing coaches that I have met have been very rear hand forward (ish)

images

Young Jake the snake in action here.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've used that cross stance, too. Just in the dojo, I don't usually fight anywhere else.
It's interesting to work with. Different options.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen some FMA practitioners advocate for the cross stance. I've played with it a little bit, but not enough to have any strong opinions.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a good reason that wrestler like to use "cross stance". If both you and your opponent have right leg forward, in wrestling, it's important to "use your back left hand/arm to control your opponent's leading right arm" (similar to Judo sleeve hold). After you can obtain that control, your can use your leading right arm to deflect your opponent back left arm. You then extend your leading right arm to obtain head lock, under hook, over hook, waist wrap, shoulder push, neck push, chin push, face push, forehead push, ... If at the same time you can also apply your leg skill such as cut, hook, sweep, scoop, spring, ... you can execute your throw, take your opponent down, end the stand up fight, and start your ground game.

As far as to use cross stance in the striking art, IMO, since your both hands will have the same reach without going through a full body rotation, that's the PRO. It's like using the "squared stance", since your chest is completely facing to your opponent, it will give your opponent a larger target to kick you. That's the CON. Also since you are most likely not using "full body rotation", your may not be able to generate the most powerful punch. That's another CON.

Last edited:

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Contact first, power second. Sometimes it is better to hit soft then hard. If it is not the final blow, then it sets up the final blow. Power, shocks and scares. Soft, confuses or builds confidence. Further, if your opponant likes to dodge, and all you are trying to do is move them around, soft blows that let you focus on defence are better then overcommitted powerful ones.

Latest Discussions