SI Joint Dysfunction

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some input from folks on here with some medical/kinesiology background. I know you won't know the particular case - I'm just trying to get a basic idea on this.

I have a student who has been diagnosed with Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. She was told some things to avoid, but I'm not sure her physician knows enough of what we do (she only has 2 or 3 classes before diagnosis, so she doesn't really know). What types of MA-related activities are usually a bad idea for someone with this condition?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
SI dysfunction is super common. Something like 90% of the population will have SI pain. It's aggravated by impact, so breakfalls are going to cause problems.
I don't know that I'd actually let that stop me from doing anything; I'd just be sure and stop when it hurt.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SI dysfunction is super common. Something like 90% of the population will have SI pain. It's aggravated by impact, so breakfalls are going to cause problems.
I don't know that I'd actually let that stop me from doing anything; I'd just be sure and stop when it hurt.
Thanks. I will talk with her tomorrow, and should get some better idea of how serious it is - she has some congenital neurological problems, so there might be additional considerations.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
from a business prospective, i am always hesitant when someone walks in the door to sign up and they start off by telling me of their limitations due to ailments. later on it could lead to some major legal issues. i had a student come on to my dojo once saying he had hepatitis but that "it should be ok"....i asked my instructor for advise on whether or not i should let him train.(other schools had said no to him)
so i pass this great view point on to others,,
by this person walking in the dojo he is putting the school in a predicament. (and its quite possible he knows it) if i say no to him he could sue for discrimination. if i allow him to train then if someone contracts hepatitis from him i could get sue there, i could also lose students because they are afraid to contract something. my instructor advised me to say with out hesitation and a smile " Yes sure come on down and train but for your own safety, i need a note from your doctor saying its ok for you to participate in a highly physical activity that has a high probability of the exchange of blood,sweat and bodily fluids." my instructor said this took the onus of liablity off me and the school and puts it back on the prospective student and his doctor. (most doctors would never write a note like that due to the legal ramifications)

something to think about.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm looking for some input from folks on here with some medical/kinesiology background. I know you won't know the particular case - I'm just trying to get a basic idea on this.

I have a student who has been diagnosed with Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. She was told some things to avoid, but I'm not sure her physician knows enough of what we do (she only has 2 or 3 classes before diagnosis, so she doesn't really know). What types of MA-related activities are usually a bad idea for someone with this condition?
the recommended treatment for,si joint problems, is more or less take up ma, or more specificaly increase the range of movement and strengh of all the various muscle,and tendons associated with hip movement . I suppose to much to soon might be a problem