Show me some leg...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is reasonably close to the version I teach now. A couple of nice points in that video I'll need to pick at when I can get on the mats with a partner. Thanks!

The head outside single does open up guillotines and cross faces.

Having said that i have seen some top guys do that throw head outside.

A BJJ thing mabye?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The head outside single does open up guillotines and cross faces.

Having said that i have seen some top guys do that throw head outside.

A BJJ thing mabye?

I've been working a lot of single legs into my game, as a BJJ guy. Way too many guys are waiting for one or the other to pull guard or maybe step into for a judo sweep/throw. I consistently catch the leg. I haven't been guillotined yet successfully but I don't think most of them have really drilled stopping the single with a guillotine. The important things to remember are keep the keep as high as possible, tight to their body, and don't stall... commit to the ground. After you hit the ground and have circled your body into side control, regardless if they grabbed the guillotine or not, you're safe.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this one. He hits pretty much all the points. Unfortunately he's working with a partner who's way too short and he can't get the solid penetration step that I'd emphasize; he's too far out - his plant foot should ideally land right between his partner's feet.

Other than that, a bit more emphasis on that knee (the one that's initially up) coming down to the mat would've made it perfect IMO...

The way I was taught and the way I taught it.
That looks like a good one to play with. The kneeling intermediate point in the entry makes it easy to adapt to a kneeling start.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a version from Fabian von Auerswald, one my favourites:
I like that. I'm not sure there's enough leverage if it's done from the knees, but I'll want to play with it. We have leg-bridging techniques that we may be able to leverage with this.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I looked for a video, did not see any good ones that demonstrate what I am about to describe.

Single-leg takedown - the only one in my toolbox.

Opponent brings roundhouse kick (mawashigeri) to middle body. I drop my arm, take hit while moving slightly away from the incoming blow to take the sting off. Wrap my arm up and trap leg in crook of elbow. Step towards opponent's middle, drop my center and take a high horse (seuinchin) stance, kick up and bring heel back on inside of opponent's remaining leg. I may punch his middle body as I apply the kick, to bring him down faster. I may also just keep stepping in while not letting go of his trapped leg; even if I miss the kick, he's hopping backwards and at my mercy.

Single leg takedown. But I don't do it with my arms. I do it by putting him on one leg and then kicking that leg out from under him.

Does that count?

Not what gpseymore is looking for it seems. I am interested in that move as another method of a trap I was taught in the Hapkido I studied. Roundhouse kicks are a bit slower than others, but are useful in that they carry a lot of power into the opponent.

Rather than trying to lower the effectiveness of the kick by absorbing it with your body, then using the trap you mention, you might want to consider stepping in with the same foot the opponent is kicking with. Place your thigh into the opponent's crotch as you grab his kicking leg from the top, swinging/pivoting (with the leg you placed in his crotch) to the side opposite his kick leg as you spin around 90 to 180 degrees to the back. Done correctly, you should break/separate his pelvis. He can no longer stand so is no longer a threat.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not what gpseymore is looking for it seems. I am interested in that move as another method of a trap I was taught in the Hapkido I studied. Roundhouse kicks are a bit slower than others, but are useful in that they carry a lot of power into the opponent.

Rather than trying to lower the effectiveness of the kick by absorbing it with your body, then using the trap you mention, you might want to consider stepping in with the same foot the opponent is kicking with. Place your thigh into the opponent's crotch as you grab his kicking leg from the top, swinging/pivoting (with the leg you placed in his crotch) to the side opposite his kick leg as you spin around 90 to 180 degrees to the back. Done correctly, you should break/separate his pelvis. He can no longer stand so is no longer a threat.

Nice as a concept. but you can't actually train that. So the only time you will know you will do it right is when you have to do it for sheep stations.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For a kick defense I'll catch it too, but I'll do either an inside trip to their plant foot (kind of hook my foot around the back of theirs), forearm into the thigh with a spin to takedown (hard to describe and I rarely use it), or just lift their leg straight up. Lifting their leg straight up is usually the most effective and lowest risk for me. It depends on where their center of gravity is and how light they are on their feet as to which one I'll use.

I didn't like the video's knee tap much. I'm more of the traditional wrestling penetration step guy.

Gerry - I'll look for some videos of what I did/prefer.

Yeah for striking and as a suplimental attack it works ok. In theory they have to be reacting to something else. So speed in the transition takes a bit of precedence.

That is why it is good for the kick because you can react fast.

gsp hits it a couple of times at 1:08

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I looked for a video, did not see any good ones that demonstrate what I am about to describe.

Single-leg takedown - the only one in my toolbox.

Opponent brings roundhouse kick (mawashigeri) to middle body. I drop my arm, take hit while moving slightly away from the incoming blow to take the sting off. Wrap my arm up and trap leg in crook of elbow. Step towards opponent's middle, drop my center and take a high horse (seuinchin) stance, kick up and bring heel back on inside of opponent's remaining leg. I may punch his middle body as I apply the kick, to bring him down faster. I may also just keep stepping in while not letting go of his trapped leg; even if I miss the kick, he's hopping backwards and at my mercy.

Single leg takedown. But I don't do it with my arms. I do it by putting him on one leg and then kicking that leg out from under him.

Does that count?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah for striking and as a suplimental attack it works ok. In theory they have to be reacting to something else. So speed in the transition takes a bit of precedence.

That is why it is good for the kick because you can react fast.

gsp hits it a couple of times at 1:08

GSP made it look a lot better than your other video (of course he would, he's GSP :)).

GSP was also significantly closer most times when he initiated the takedown, making it more effective IMO.

I'd call what he was doing a more of kamikaze double than the video I referred to; his takedown's effectiveness comes from blocking the back of the knees and driving forward rather than the dump. When he dumps rather than driving forward, he more often muscles it (the one where he's against the cage and picks the opponent up). He can do that, he's GSP. That wouldn't work quite so well against a significantly bigger and heavier opponent, like say Brock Lessner. A person not having MMA strength would struggle a bit with his method.

I really liked the kamikaze double when I wrestled. But instead of having my head to the outside, I buried my forehead into my opponent's chest. And I'd pull behind both knees with my forearms. Then again, there was no risk of a punch or knee coming at me in wrestling, so leading with my forehead wasn't a risk.

But is a good video. Shows some good variation on the traditional double-leg.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
GSP made it look a lot better than your other video (of course he would, he's GSP :)).

GSP was also significantly closer most times when he initiated the takedown, making it more effective IMO.

I'd call what he was doing a more of kamikaze double than the video I referred to; his takedown's effectiveness comes from blocking the back of the knees and driving forward rather than the dump. When he dumps rather than driving forward, he more often muscles it (the one where he's against the cage and picks the opponent up). He can do that, he's GSP. That wouldn't work quite so well against a significantly bigger and heavier opponent, like say Brock Lessner. A person not having MMA strength would struggle a bit with his method.

I really liked the kamikaze double when I wrestled. But instead of having my head to the outside, I buried my forehead into my opponent's chest. And I'd pull behind both knees with my forearms. Then again, there was no risk of a punch or knee coming at me in wrestling, so leading with my forehead wasn't a risk.

But is a good video. Shows some good variation on the traditional double-leg.

If they defend a single they are quite often going that way. I rep double single and knee tap. And use those three transitions to keep attacking the balance.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice as a concept. but you can't actually train that. So the only time you will know you will do it right is when you have to do it for sheep stations.

How do you know I can't train for that? Perhaps you meant you would not know how to train for that?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
stopping the single with a guillotine.
In my last wrestling match, that was exactly the ending. My opponent tried to get my single leg, I got a reverse head lock (guillotine) on him, I use my body weight to press his body down. His chest touched the ground but his neck is up. I continue choked on him with my reverse head lock (guillotine) until he taped out.

To prevent a "single leg" can be as simple as to put your

- right hand in front of your right knee.
- left hand in front of your left knee.

A double under hooks on your opponent's both shoulders can stop his single or double. Actually if you can always put your

- right hand in front of your opponent's left shoulder,
- left hand in front of his right shoulder,

this can prevent your opponent's hands from reaching to your body, you can prevent almost all throws and take downs.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like that. I'm not sure there's enough leverage if it's done from the knees, but I'll want to play with it. We have leg-bridging techniques that we may be able to leverage with this.

By the way while there is a lot of good techniques to get takedowns off your knees in wrestling. Because they scramble off a failed shot.

It is frowned upon in MMA because you will get your face smashed in picking away at someones ankle for two long.

So wrestling you double dip. MMA you stand up.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you know I can't train for that? Perhaps you meant you would not know how to train for that?

Because tearing off peoples pelvises runs you out of training partners pretty quickly.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which I suppose is why BJJ, traditional JJ, Aikido, and other MA long ago disappeared from the MA scene and are often now considered myth?

Really?

Don't many MA train to a certain place in a technique and then stop before causing damage? The mind can be trained to know when to stop or continue. Perhaps that is not a way you have trained, I wouldn't know. But it can be done.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which I suppose is why BJJ, traditional JJ, Aikido, and other MA long ago disappeared from the MA scene and are often now considered myth?

Really?

Don't many MA train to a certain place in a technique and then stop before causing damage? The mind can be trained to know when to stop or continue. Perhaps that is not a way you have trained, I wouldn't know. But it can be done.

Done correctly it breaks the pelvis. So you train it incorrectly? or can you get the guy over without mangaling them.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way while there is a lot of good techniques to get takedowns off your knees in wrestling. Because they scramble off a failed shot.

It is frowned upon in MMA because you will get your face smashed in picking away at someones ankle for two long.

So wrestling you double dip. MMA you stand up.
And our preference is standing up, but I train these based on the assumption that we can't stand up yet (get your bell rung, and stand up too fast, possibly you'll fall back down). So, we train to defend from the ground for a while to let the little birdies stop circling. This is particularly important for someone like me - I have low blood pressure, and anytime I stand up too fast things can go a bit grey.