Shouldn't there be mutual respect between Christian and atheist martial artists?

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the simplest response to this is that there should be respect between PEOPLE, regardless of faith or whatever differences exist.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I think the simplest response to this is that there should be respect between PEOPLE, regardless of faith or whatever differences exist.
Completely agree. Part of what the martial arts is all about is improving ones self, at least in the traditional arts. SwordLady studies one of the traditional sword arts. Not exactly what one would consider to be done for practical self defense purposes. So, why study at all? For a sense of self and to become a better, more well rounded person. Seems to me that the folks that are doing any bashing, whether against christianity or any other faith or non-faith are missing the point of the art all together.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Don't get me wrong; the guys haven't been overly horrible and actually treat me quite decently overall. But their attitude towards my faith and blatant disrespect of my beliefs does irk me quite a bit.

I have talked to Karen quite recently about the respect issue, but haven't said anything about the faith issue yet. I kinda feel like I should be able to tolerate certain things at the dojo, since I'm a minority in several ways, but how much should I put up with? And when does it become too much?

It sounds like it has become too much.

I'd suggest after class you talk frankly with the others about your feelings.

Where I am the reverse is the case. Religion gets a "free pass." One doesn't talk unfavorably in public about Christianity. Its considered (dare I use the term?) politically incorrect. There is an open season on atheism, however. One can take as many shots at it as one wants without fear of censure.

A recent poll on attitudes towards atheism found that atheists were the most distrusted segment of American society.

http://www.ur.umn.edu/FMPro?-db=rel...ewsreleases/releasesdetail.html&ID=2816&-Find

This attitude parrots a statement made publicly by George H.W. Bush, former President of the United States when he said, "...I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

This sentiment...and the recognition that they're a very small minority...tends to force atheists into the closet.

So...the sword cuts both ways. Better, I think, to sheathe the sword altogether and leave religion off the training mat and save it for the coffee shop after class.

Regards,

Steve

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Very interesting topic.

I feel that you should in a very no-offensive but direct way tell them they have their beliefs and you have yours and ask them not to deride your faith. MA's is about respect and becoming a better person not just some mindless thug who can kick some guys *** at the bar!!!

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

It is a shame that you have experienced this. This attitude is the complete opposite from what we teach as far as the principle of courtesy is concerned. There should always be respect for others, no matter your rank-period

Latest Discussions