Should the Govt. License MA Instructors?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And subsequently funds to pay for roads. Seriously, your state flag should have a washed-out road on it. :lol:

You sure you're not mixing NH up with MA? The roads are in a lot better condition up here. ;)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry Rich, its not what the Department of Justice feels like...note the statute also uses the word "shall". ;)

In the first section, community, non-profits, etc. are exempted from registering and by definition exempt from the bond requirements.

This one is quite simple. If your membership fees are month-to-month only, you don't have to provide a bond.

This is for the schools that insist on using contracts. Remember, no contract = no bond.

Realistically, no school that insists on using contracts is going to be able to prove that their refund liability is less than 5,000 unless their tuition is far below market rate, or they don't have many students and can demonstrate they won't have many students

The intent is clear...the point of the law is NOT to discourage martial arts instruction, it is to discourage schools from entering binding contracts without having a surety bond that will protect the consumer from loss of services paid for if the school goes belly up.

Please define satisfaction.

How does the state of NH define it?

How does the DoJ of NH define it?

The point I am trying to make is there is confusion.

You can continue to dig and try to make it a point about shall, but even if there was a shall with the remind and the require, I am confused. Is ti reminded or required or it a shall?

But, once again I say I am not communicating well, and I have to be wrong for everyone to get over it then I am wrong.

I just do not understand what your point is.

You come at it from 90 degrees to what I am trying to talk about to justify your post.

Fine it is justified.

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmm... Seems that there are several pros and cons to having Govt. regulations... key word being 'SEEMS'. Well, the way I see it, if you want to get an idea (a broader perspective) of what it might be like to have our govt. controlling what we do/teach, then I have just two words for you: China & Wushu.

For those here who are familiar with what the Chinese govt. did to some of its (China's) greatest styles and teachers, that is all I need to say. Granted, the U.S. is by far, nothing like China, but that certainly did not stop the Bush administration from doing its best (worst) to step on the constitutional rights of its citizens.

My appologies, my comment might be better suited for a political thread.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Constitutional rights have been getting stepped on for decades. Sometimes it is more blatant than at others.

So, no, I don't think that your comment belongs in a political thread. It is certainly pertinant to the topic.

I am completely against any involvement on a federal level. On a state level, I'll pose two questions:

What can licensing do with regards to the building that OSHA regulations don't already mandate? Pretty much any commercial building has to meet certain standards and are required to have specific first aid supplies on hand.

Could martial arts studios simply be required to meet the same requirements of any fitness center?

Daniel

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
NO! Many of us from 60-70s style Tang Soo Do have been left without an organization. We know the real pre-sports Tae Kwon Do stuff, but would probably be required to join somebody who would want us to give up our traditional art. If the government got involved it would probably be just like Korea when General Choi took over and they tried to shut down the Moo Duk Kwan.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
So licensing is not that unusual.

With regard to the pugilistic arts, most states license, regulate, and monitor professional boxing, and many are now beginning to accept professional MMA bouts as well. South Caroline is considering it now, Michigan has just accepted it, as well as a number of other states.

Those fall under the category of professional sports with a clearly defined set of rules which require licensing, not just for safety but to also ensure fair competition. Therefore it would not be unusual for them to be regulated.

Examples include barbers and hairdressers, skilled trades such as plumbers, electricians, and carpenters, private investigators, and public school teachers. All vary by jurisdiction, of course.

A professional can be licensed and still do a shoddy job of things.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
What would give the government the right to tell martial arts instructors what and how to teach in a free country?

Who in the government outside of a particular martial arts system would be qualified to judge the quality and effectiveness of that system or it's instructors?

Maybe the government could have a broad set of requirements for a martial art that an instructor could fulfill to get licensed to teach government departments and employees or school programs that could enable the martial arts school to qualify for funding, tax exemptions or rebates that is totally voluntary.

Requiring all martial arts instructors to be licensed would be untenable.

Fritz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Could it happen here in the USA?

Sure why not.

Do I think it will happen? Not anytime soon- where is the money to be made in it for the gov? It is not a product or service that everybody owns like a car, or cell phone.

Besides, would it change anything except for McDojo owners who will have yet another layer on the business?

The rest of us will just move practice into the basement and continue as usual.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In my state, martial arts schools are required by state law to get a gym license, even if you're teaching out of your home. But it's not about proving that you teach For-Real Authentic Martial Arts or are a good teacher or whatever - how can that even be licensed? The license is just to show that your membership terms are fair and legal and you're not ripping people off.

Veee

White Belt
Reaction score
No, the government is already too deeply involved in our lives.

Latest Discussions