Should "running" be part of your MA training?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I can be confident in my abilities at an advanced age, over confidence is what a few here are displaying by thinking their skills will make up for a lack of conditioning

Ah, advanced age, now that will come back and bite you on the bum, however fit you may be now there is much that can and will go wrong and you will not be as fit as you think you will be, in fact the fitness you are doing now may well contribute to your future unfitness.

I suppose it hasn't occurred to you that many on here have actually got the experience of knowing their skills make up for what you say is their 'lack of conditioning'? Do you think we speak hypothetically? If so, you would be very wrong.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's not really a fight though is it, standing there till someone comes in range. It doesn't alter the fact that fighting is an athletic activerty, and while being fit doesn't make you a good fighter, you cant be a good fighter if you have no athletic ability. I seen lot of fight abandoned after two minutes , as both sides are to exhausted to carry on. Fine if you have a killer right hand and you can land it, not so if he smashed you in the nose and doggies out of range
Are you assuming all martial artists are looking for an arranged fight? Most I know train for defense, and I have no need to defend if you are dancing around out of range. I'm safe, and you're getting tired.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm anything but I've put a lot of effort in to my fitness so I can be confident in my abilities at an advanced age, over confidence is what a few here are displaying by thinking their skills will make up for a lack of conditioning
You're making a whole bushel of assumptions in that last statement.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im sorry if you find it insulting, it wasn't meant to be, but belts for long service are a fact of the ma world
And each belt only means whatever it means. It took me well over a decade to get my black belt. I know people in some styles routinely get them in under two years. Theirs means something different than mine does, and that's okay. If someone gets a belt to demonstrate their understanding and commitment, that's what it means. There's no dishonor in that.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you assuming all martial artists are looking for an arranged fight? Most I know train for defense, and I have no need to defend if you are dancing around out of range. I'm safe, and you're getting tired.
no. To fit the general accept defintion of a fight, there needs to a coming together, standing there looking ready whilst the other bloke dances around isn't fighting, it might count as self defence

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're making a whole bushel of assumptions in that last statement.
no, the opening exchanges of this was my reply to a guy telling me he was over weight and unfit, his words, he then went on to explain, that this didn't in anyway hamper his fighting abilities, so tell me, what assumptions have I made?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And each belt only means whatever it means. It took me well over a decade to get my black belt. I know people in some styles routinely get them in under two years. Theirs means something different than mine does, and that's okay. If someone gets a belt to demonstrate their understanding and commitment, that's what it means. There's no dishonor in that.
no dishonour, but not a lot of actual honour either, I would feel a great deal of pride to match your achievement , non at all if all I had to do was keep turning up, its like giving the kid who can't run an award for having the best smile at the school sports day

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no dishonour, but not a lot of actual honour either, I would feel a great deal of pride to match your achievement , non at all if all I had to do was keep turning up, its like giving the kid who can't run an award for having the best smile at the school sports day
Well if a man with no legs can run the Marathon des Sables............

Double amputee set to take on 'toughest race on earth'
well that's my point exactly, he hasn't welched on his fitness or made excuses for not being fit

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no. To fit the general accept defintion of a fight, there needs to a coming together, standing there looking ready whilst the other bloke dances around isn't fighting, it might count as self defence
That's what I just said.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, the opening exchanges of this was my reply to a guy telling me he was over weight and unfit, his words, he then went on to explain, that this didn't in anyway hamper his fighting abilities, so tell me, what assumptions have I made?
That people are being overconfident about their abilities (remember that you have replied to more than the OP), and that those folks have poor fitness, among others.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That people are being overconfident about their abilities (remember that you have replied to more than the OP), and that those folks have poor fitness, among others.
he not the only one to run the same line, is im old I'm unfit I'm fat but I can still knock people over sort of thing

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it would be like giving the kid who kept trying to run even though he couldn't, and who managed to get better than he was, a "hardest path" trophy, perhaps.

There are good reasons to give rank to people who can't meet the normal standards. I've promoted people who couldn't do some of the kicks to standard, because their hips simply don't move that way. If I had someone show up who only had one arm or hand (I trained alongside someone like that for a while), I'd find a way to evaluate them for promotion despite the fact that they couldn't meet some of my qualification standards.

That's all actually beside the point, though. If someone can meet the qualifications for their style (ability to spar, self-defense tests, whatever), then their objective fitness level is not directly relevant to promotion.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, you said that constuted a fight
Actually, I didn't. I was pointing out that some of us on here don't need to be able to deal with that kind of fight. I don't compete, so there's nothing to compel me to deal with someone dancing around me outside striking distance. I don't need to pursue them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he not the only one to run the same line, is im old I'm unfit I'm fat but I can still knock people over sort of thing
I met a Ryukyu Kempo instructor who looked like Santa Clause. He could hand me my *** at my best. He was old, he was fat, and he could kick butt.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it would be like giving the kid who kept trying to run even though he couldn't, and who managed to get better than he was, a "hardest path" trophy, perhaps.

There are good reasons to give rank to people who can't meet the normal standards. I've promoted people who couldn't do some of the kicks to standard, because their hips simply don't move that way. If I had someone show up who only had one arm or hand (I trained alongside someone like that for a while), I'd find a way to evaluate them for promotion despite the fact that they couldn't meet some of my qualification standards.

That's all actually beside the point, though. If someone can meet the qualifications for their style (ability to spar, self-defense tests, whatever), then their objective fitness level is not directly relevant to promotion.
id sooner have a best smile award, than a hardest path

but your point is about one of the things that perplex me about ma against most other athletic activities. When I did my class 1 swimming certificate for instance, I had to dive for a brick, then swim various strokes in a pair of PJs. I couldn't do brest stroke properly, so they said sorry, you don't get an award. It's the same with all the others I can think off, can't do the isometric bars, no gymnastics medal, cant throw a javelin no decathlons medal . can't do a passable passodobly, no dancing medal, can't do a double pike with half twist, no diving medal, it seems the only athletic event where if you cant meet the standard, they change the standard and give you an award anyway

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id sooner have a best smile award, than a hardest path

but your point is about one of the things that perplex me about ma against most other athletic activities. When I did my class 1 swimming certificate for instance, I had to dive for a brick, then swim various strokes in a pair of PJs. I couldn't do brest stroke properly, so they said sorry, you don't get an award. It's the same with all the others I can think off, can't do the isometric bars, no gymnastics medal, cant throw a javelin no decathlons medal . can't do a passable passodobly, no dancing medal, it seems the only athletic event where if you cant meet the standard, they change the standard and give you an award anyway
Well, it depends what the point of the standard is. In my case, I'm not trying to build great Aikidoka. I'm training people to use the art to defend themselves. If they can't do part of it because of some limitation, I make sure they can accomplish what should be accomplished (the level of competency). If I were trying to produce first class practitioners of NGA, then I'd be really strict on their ability to perform the art, but the art is the vehicle, not the point of the training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure, but I'm betting he was quite fit
I can't speak to that. He never had to work very hard in what I saw. He could probably still spar reasonably, but that can be accomplished by being more efficient as fitness drops.